Shared shuttle companies in Rome

augiesmom

My daughter and I will be spending a few days in Rome next May prior to getting on a NCL cruise.  Can anyone recommend shuttle companies that would pick up at the airport and take us to the convent we will be staying in.  We are also looking for shared shuttles that would take us to the cruise port from Rome.  (ship leaves from Civatecchia)

Have you considered taking the train to Rome and then get a taxi to the convent. Rail transportation is pretty good in Rome and not overly expensive. Also the train ride from Rome to Civitavecchia is also a very nice relaxing trip. If you can carry your bag down and up a flight of steps is the only restriction there is. From there, there are shuttles that take you right to where you need to go to get on the shuttle to the ship.

Its what my wife and I did last year when we were in Rome for 3 days before doing a cruise out of Civitavecchia. The cost from Rome to the Port was only 35 Euro for the 2 of us.

But as noted in the other current thread about Rome, the train to Civitavecchia requires a bit of stamina (climbing up and down stairs with luggage, etc.) so it's not for everyone.

There are several transfer companies highly recommended on these boards, some are specified in the other thread.  For perspective, the fixed fare for a taxi from the airport into central Rome is 48 euro, most transfers will be priced near to that.

See other thread here:  

Edited by euro cruiser

Where is the convent?  If within the city walls then a taxi is fixed price €48 and they are readily available at the airport.  A shared shuttle will save a few euro but you will then have the inconvenience of waiting for the other pax and then the delay if your drop off point is last on the list.

The transfer to Civitavecchia take about 1 hour 15 mins.  A private shuttle (mercedes or similar) is about €130.  We use and recommend Stefano's Rome Cabs https://www.romecabs.com/   They don't do shared shuttles, unless you arrange one yourself with, for example, other travelers from your Roll Call.

Our only experience with shared shuttles was with Civitavecchia Cab Service who charged €65 for 2 pax.  Be aware of luggage limits!   The experience was only average compared to the service from Stefano's Rome Cabs.  

Yes -- a good question to help determine the best way to get to your convent in Rome is to know where it is located. As mentioned, if you are within the old city, there is a fixed taxi rate of 48 euro, which is hard to better for the cost and convenience factors for two people. (Given that, for example, the express train into Rome costs 14 euro per person and then you still probably would face a 10 euro taxi ride to hotel from the train station....)

However, if you are near the Vatican, your lodging may not qualify for the 48 euro fixed rate -- in which cast one of the private transfers that charge 50 or so probably will do just as well for you. Alternatively, if you're really on a budget, there is a local train you can take to a station within Rome that is cheaper than the express, and then various ways to get to your convent...

Regarding getting to Civitavecchia, I have done the train several times and it is a bit of a schlep but if you pack light and don't mind managing your luggage on/off three separate transfers, it is fine. After they moved the port entrance a few years back (necessitating another bus in addition to the train and the shuttle) , I threw in the towel and decided that a shared shuttle for 65-75 euro is worth it not to avoid at the ship feeling frazzled. Note that the shared shuttles generally charge the same rate for 1 or 2 people, so for a couple it is pretty economical. 

When I'm only booking transportation, for me it is fine to have an "average" experience -- I don't need a deluxe car and a chatty driver. If they arrive on time and get me safely from Point A to Point B, that is all I ask for. One service I have used for a shared shuttle is romashuttle.com.  Have used several times (as have other family/friends) with no issues.