No Mention Of Cruising But Bermuda Announces Resumption Of Commercial Airline Service On July 1

njhorseman

https://bernews.com/2020/06/airport-reopen-commercial-flights-july-1/

Strict health protocols are to be followed including requirements of a negative COVID-19 test taken within the 72 hours prior to the flight's departure, and a COVID-19 test to be taken as soon as possible after arrival in Bermuda.

Still no word on the resumption of cruising to Bermuda.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Still no word on the resumption of cruising to Bermuda.

If those are going to be the entry requirements, they are challenging enough for a handful of commercial flights a day with 100 or so passengers each-- I cant imagine the logistics around requiring that for a 1500-4000 passenger cruise ship, let alone the possibility of several. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If those are going to be the entry requirements, they are challenging enough for a handful of commercial flights a day with 100 or so passengers each-- I cant imagine the logistics around requiring that for a 1500-4000 passenger cruise ship, let alone the possibility of several. 

I agree...perhaps they're waiting until they would no longer need such drastic measures before allowing cruise ships to return.

• Like 1

I was watching their televised update to the Bermuda public last week and heard that they are looking into the 15-minute rapid COVID tests that are being used in New Zealand as a way to expedite tourism traffic coming in to the port... even that would seem like a lengthy endeavor.

The ship could do this prior to docking start the night before finish as we enter the area prior to docking. Anybody in question stay onboard until cleared. If they waited until they docked you would loose a day there. I don't think Bermuda should have to do the testing. I would go even with the restrictions and testing just to get back to Bermuda for a visit. With luck we will be there next May.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

The ship could do this prior to docking start the night before finish as we enter the area prior to docking. Anybody in question stay onboard until cleared.

The problem with this is if one single person onboard tested positive the entire ship would most likely be denied entry into port. 

In this case I don't think the testing is onerous on Bermuda-- they want to be the ones testing because they trust their own results. 

• Like 1

The problem with this is if one single person onboard tested positive the entire ship would most likely be denied entry into port. 

In this case I don't think the testing is onerous on Bermuda-- they want to be the ones testing because they trust their own results. 

Right. In my opinion no way should they trust a cruise lines test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Right. In my opinion no way should they trust a cruise lines test.

Totally agree-- a cruise line is so much more incentivized to gloss over things on an itinerary like that where Bermuda is the sole and multi day stop. 

We officially gave up on one of the Insignia itineraries in August and booked 7 days flying down in early September (even with some nice discounting, the hotels of Bermuda have a way of reminding you what a good value a cruise can be there).

Kind of a pain as it looks as though JFK and Atlanta are the only two places with direct flights right now. Will report any updates if we get sent any. Hoping that some positive development with a therapeutic happens in the meantime and this trip ends up not being as adventuresome as it seems right now. 

It was announced that most cruises will not be sailing until on/after Sept 15.  (Initially, it was July 15).  As the Bermuda cruise season pretty much ends mid/late Oct (yes, there are a few exceptions) Realistically, I don't see a a 2020 Bermuda cruise season.  We are supposed to go there early Sept.  We've not been contacted by or T/A yet, but I'm waiting for that "your cruise has been cancelled" call.

It was announced that most cruises will not be sailing until on/after Sept 15.  (Initially, it was July 15).  As the Bermuda cruise season pretty much ends mid/late Oct (yes, there are a few exceptions) Realistically, I don't see a a 2020 Bermuda cruise season.  We are supposed to go there early Sept.  We've not been contacted by or T/A yet, but I'm waiting for that "your cruise has been cancelled" call.

This morning Royal Caribbean suspended Bermuda sailings to the end of October. (October 31)

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Oceania just did the same-- cancelled sailings of Insignia through the end of October which eliminates her Bermuda sailings (which were still on sale up until a few days ago). 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement

Interesting to note that Insignia, operating out of the East Coast US, is out of service a whole month longer than the rest of their fleet which is primarily based in the Med and Asia (Oct 26th vs Sept 30th for the others). Clearly they think those places will come back quicker than the US. 

Edited by princeton123211

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Clearly they think those places will come back quicker than the US. 

Maybe not...at least not for US residents for the Mediterranean. There's a story right now in the NY Times that says the EU may still bar American travelers after reopening to residents most other countries because of the severity of the pandemic in the US.

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There's a story right now in the NY Times that says the EU may still bar American travelers after reopening to residents most other countries because of the severity of the pandemic in the US.

I saw that, and frankly we might deserve it. But it wouldn't cause those ships to not operate completely, just without Americans onboard. I think Seadream has already started operations in Norway and they are essentially limited to Norwegians and Danes at the moment. 

17 hours ago, legalangel said:

Royal recently cancelled all Bermuda cruises through and including its October 31, 2020 sailing from NJ.

Yep...got the call yesterday that our Sept cruise has been canx.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, Charles4515 said:

This morning Royal Caribbean suspended Bermuda sailings to the end of October. (October 31)

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Well there you go.  Carnival needs to step up and get real with their customers or they will not be customers any longer.