Pullmantur Ships for sale.

aussie cruzer

On 6/12/2020 at 10:33 PM, aussie cruzer said:

I can find Horizon and Monarch, but not Sovereign. Have you seen it on the site please? 

I contacted my rep at Pullmantur who seemed surprised and said they weren't aware of the ships being for sale and not to worry about next year's cruise. Do we believe her? 

18 minutes ago, Smurf2017 said:

I can't see them surviving and we've already written off our next cruise with them. Shame as it was a great itinerary to the Holy Land at a good price. 

I have seen online  rumours of Tui buying out Pullmantur and Rcl having a commercial arrangement with Tui.

For Pullmantur to survive Rcl would need to inject  cash ,can't see that happening. 

11 hours ago, aussie cruzer said:

I have seen online  rumours of Tui buying out Pullmantur and Rcl having a commercial arrangement with Tui.

For Pullmantur to survive Rcl would need to inject  cash ,can't see that happening. 

That's an interesting move. Watch this space! 

Horizon is on the move again. After a couple of days at anchor just outside Mumbai, she is making 11 knots Westwards in the direction of the Gulf of Aden. Though CruiseMapper still shows her destination as Mumbai, this may not have been updated. Returning to Europe and if so why? What was she doing in Mumbai? 

1 hour ago, Skipper Tim said:

Horizon is on the move again. After a couple of days at anchor just outside Mumbai, she is making 11 knots Westwards in the direction of the Gulf of Aden. Though CruiseMapper still shows her destination as Mumbai, this may not have been updated. Returning to Europe and if so why? What was she doing in Mumbai? 

Marine Traffic is showing the destination as Salalha in Oman. Is she dropping off crew before the cold lay-up?

14 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

I wonder how this would affect future cruise vouchers issued by Pullmantur due to cruises being cancelled because of COVID

We're wondering the same. We should be on board Horizon cruising Croatia this week but have already used our vouchers for a Holy Land itinerary next May. If Pullmantur goes out of business now, are we:

1. A Pullmantur customer who would join the list of creditors

or

2. Would the parent company RCL honour our vouchers somehow. Doubtful!

Then we have the possibility of the TUI purchase thrown into the mix. As we  have a cruise already booked with Pullmantur, what would happen then? I really don't fancy having to go with TUI so would hope that a refund might be offered. 

We just have to wait to see.

Well it is kind of good news she is not going to Alang.

I was in the recent years onboard both Horizon and Zenith and I think the engines are on their last legs. There was a very bad diesel smell in the corridors and on the Horizon  there was a black out during boarding

17 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

I wonder how this would affect future cruise vouchers issued by Pullmantur due to cruises being cancelled because of COVID

Well, they would have to either refund or award you with an equivalent sum of money or another cruise. Otherwise it might be very prestige hitting. I dont think that they will sacrifice their name for some 500-1000$. The name worths way too much, In any case you will be offered with a substitution. The only question is - what kind of offer is it going to be? 

9 hours ago, Skipper Tim said:

It was reported that Horizon was dropping off 60 crew in Mumbai ....it does appear like she’s heading to the Suez Canal.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/logistics/eleven-cruise-liners-to-arrive-in-mumbai-port-to-drop-off-more-than-10000-crew/article31815804.ece

Edited by aussie cruzer
T

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/06/articles/disease/is-pullmantur-cruises-ending-operations/

I don't agree with the headline.  But it is possible, based on the report, Monarch and Sovereign would be sold for scrap.  Both are old, have tiny cabins and hardly any balconies.  They do have lovely wide decks for strolling.  Back in the day, when cruising was growing at 6% per year, literally any ship that floated sailed full.  And the recent Spanish extension of the ban on cruise dockings cannot be helping.  Or this is an extension of cold layup.   But when you scrap a ship all the bills stop and you get a small check- a few million.  

On 6/21/2020 at 10:51 AM, johanc said:

Well it is kind of good news she is not going to Alang.

I was in the recent years onboard both Horizon and Zenith and I think the engines are on their last legs. There was a very bad diesel smell in the corridors and on the Horizon  there was a black out during boarding

I'm not sure the age of the engines marks the end of a ship's life.  Zenith is slated for a new life:

http://peaceboat.org/english/about-peace-boat

Roy

• Like 1

Zenith’s twin sister, Horizon, had last night in Salalah, Oman, presumably dropping off more crew after those she left in Mumbai. This morning she is underway at a relatively cracking 16 knots en route to the Suez canal (according to CruiseMapper and Marinetraffic). Perhaps also heading to Naples to be stripped?

I have had no word on our March 2021 Horizon booking despite asking our cruise agents a few days ago. 

5 hours ago, Skipper Tim said:

Zenith’s twin sister, Horizon, had last night in Salalah, Oman, presumably dropping off more crew after those she left in Mumbai. This morning she is underway at a relatively cracking 16 knots en route to the Suez canal (according to CruiseMapper and Marinetraffic). Perhaps also heading to Naples to be stripped?

I have had no word on our March 2021 Horizon booking despite asking our cruise agents a few days ago. 

I have built up a very good relationship with our agent in Madrid, an employee of Pullmantur rather than an High Street TA. She was genuinely surprised by the announcement and is in shock. She has no idea what the future holds for the staff there or when we can expect to hear anything from Pullmantur/RCL. She has promised to keep in touch and if there is anything relevant I will post back here Tim.

Tim, I'll be interested to read what you hear from your Pullmantur agent.

I was a passenger on HORIZON's March 15th cruise from Dubai to Athens, which was cancelled at Dubai some 10 hours after I and other passengers boarded. Since returning home to Nova Scotia I've contacted Vacations To Go, which reps Pullmantur in North America (and with whom I've booked four Pullmantur cruises over the past few years), but they claim to know nothing. Esteban, the agent I have previously worked with "is no longer with the company" and all I'm told is that Vacations To Go has received no word of any kind from Pullmantur.

An agent named Clifford asked if I was cancelling my June, 2021 Mediterranean cruise aboard SOVEREIGN, because doing so would mean forfeiting my deposit. Somewhat stunned, I explained to the agent that SOVEREIGN, along with MONARCH, is currently at Naples being stripped in preparation for going to the breakers; that 'cancelling my booking' was rather a moot point!

As for my cancelled Suez Canal cruise on HORIZON, I've no idea if I will ever see the $3500 I paid for my fare. Perhaps I'll be issued a credit of some kind by RCCL, but so far I've heard nothing.

Our contact at VtG is Jean-Luc Hesslier and he is well aware of what is going on.  His extension is 7570.

We too have been on several Pullmantur cruises and will miss the experience.  Fortunately we had only a deposit in place for the next one which was out of Athens to Cyprus and Israel.

Here is part of the message we got from Pullmantur on June 10 about the cancellation.:

Dear.
Vacations To Go has received a very important notification fromPullmantur regarding the cancellation of your upcoming cruise on the Horizon. Please review the details in the notice below.

Pullmantur will automatically provide you with a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equivalent to 100% of the cruise fare paid plus onboard credit (OBC). You do not need to take any action or contact us at this time. It will be sent to you and you can apply it to any Pullmantur cruise booked at Vacations To Go's discounted rates through September 2021 .

The notification from Pullmantur is copied below:

"We are contacting you again to give you important information related to our operations and the COVID-19 outbreak.

The impact of COVID-19 has forced measures to halt its expansion, most of which consist of limiting mobility. When the Spanish government declared the state of emergency, we halted our activities since the safety and well-being of our passengers and crew members are our top priority.

The uncertainty regarding the evolution of COVID-19, as well as the uncertainty about the way in which we will be able to sail, once the limitations imposed by the different countries are lifted, has required us to cancel our cruises until 15th November 2020.

We will take advantage of this period for better understanding about the implications of COVID-19 for operations on board of the ships and for developing enhanced health and safety protocols.

As in previous occasions, our clients have a voucher that is granted and effective from today (10th June 2020) and that they will receive in the coming weeks.

We are deeply sorry about this exceptional situation of force majeure that is totally out of our control and, once again, we ask for your understanding and support in order to overcome this reality together.

The company hopes that these initiatives will allow us to return to the seas with absolute security and safety.

Sincerely,
The Pullmantur Cruises Team

Hi Plato, We received the same email for our August 28 cruise in Norway on the Monarch. We are only in for our deposit, thankfully, but getting a FCC isn't really helpful to us because we booked this cruise specifically for this Norway itinerary, and they will no longer offer that. But if Pullmantur is really going under and the FCC might be available on either RCCI or Celebrity, that would be a great plus.