Giurciu to Belgrade

jrkfrk

We have just scheduled a June 2021 Danube cruise ending in Giurciu and we are planning our own air travel.  I believe Belgrade had the closest major airport that has flights to Amsterdam (to connect to Detroit) either very early in the morning or early afternoon.  Any words of wisdom as to best to do this?  Should we stay over night in Belgrade and fly out the next day?  We don't want to ruin a wonderful trip at the end.  Also, are there any transports from Giurciu to Belgrade or should we just get a taxi at the port?  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

jrkfrk

I assume you mean Giurgiu, Romania.  It's only 38 miles from Bucharest.  Why don't you fly out of there instead of Belgrade which is 386 miles away?  What cruise line are you on?  Most offer a transfer to the Bucharest airport.  Maybe I'm missing something here.

Thanks for the correction!  I did mean Giurgiu, Romania and I thought Belgrade was the closest.  The question still stands - are we better off staying overnight in Bucharest or Giurgiu given the very early flights - are there places to stay in Bucharest near the airport?

jrkfrk

A quick search on Trip Advisor shows several hotels near Bucharest's airport, including American chain hotels such as Hilton Garden Inn and Marriott.  I've only been on Uniworld, but most cruise lines work the same way.  Your cruise line should offer one or more early transfers to the Bucharest airport.  By early I mean 3 or 4 am.  Are you wanting to stay an extra night?  If you fly out the last morning of your cruise and use the ship's transfer, you should have no problem.  I have no idea how to get from Giurgiu to Bucharest on your own.  

We did a cruise in 2019 that originated in Giurgiu with a pre-cruise stay in Bucharest (which we extended by a week to visit the Black Sea and Transylvania).  If you have time, I would encourage you to spend a couple of nights in Bucharest before heading home. Bucharest is very affordable, the food is good and there are many interesting, and inexpensive, small hotels in the Bucharest Old Town which is pedestrian only.  We stayed in a small boutique hotel in Old Town that had a private outdoor terrace that overlooked a square where street artists performed every evening.  Bucharest was a highlight of our trip.  Trip from Bucharest airport to our hotel in Old Town was about $15 by Uber and took about 30 minutes as I recall.

I agree with spending some extra time in Bucharest if at all possible...  

When we went to Bucharest a few years ago (at the start of our river cruise) we used a private transport to get to the hotel.   On their website - they indicate they can arrange transport anywhere in Romania.  Maybe they can help.

https://www.bucharestairporttransfer.com/

Fran

Thank you for your help - just what I was looking for!  Now I can cross my fingers that all will resolve by next June so we can go . . . .

jrkfrk (another Fran, by the way)

• Like 1