Social Distancing as a solo

Joanne G.

I was heartbroken when I my first solo cruise, 14-days around the British Isles on NCL in May, was canceled.  Besides the fabulous itinerary, I was looking forward to my first solo experience.  I was a little nervous but focusing on the positives - doing exactly what I want, cabin space all mine, etc.   I was not yet at the point where I would be comfortable doing a land vacation in Europe, but the inherently social nature of cruising made it an easy choice to go solo.   However, when the cruise was canceled, I chose a refund over the sizeable FCC.    Unrelated to being a solo, I am not ready to make big travel commitments for later this year, or 2021, or even 2022.  

But before the pandemic hit, I booked another solo cruise - London to Rome in August of 2021 on Carnival.   I am very excited about this itinerary (stops in  Spain and Portugal as well as Le Havre), and I was thinking of overcoming my apprehension about land vacations and extending my vacation for a few days in Rome after the cruise.   The deposit is refundable, so I am just sitting on the reservation for now.   By the time final payment is due next May, I will have a better sense of what travel will be like by the time of the cruise.    

Of course none of us knows what cruising will be like when it starts up again - prices higher or lower, masks or not, maybe partial occupancy and so forth.   But I have an additional concern about efforts to enforce social distancing.  I have seen speculation about dining only with your party, enforced distance at bars, people spaced out on tour buses, indoor and deck seating spaced far apart, etc.   These actions seem to take away the opportunity for the casual socializing that we are used to on cruises and seem to affect solos particularly hard.    Solo is one thing - isolation is something else entirely!  Is anyone else wondering about this?

• Like 1

Well,as i have been travelling solo on the last 2 cruises i also thought about how social distancing is going to affect solo cruisers.

Especially on NCL where the solo gatherings and solo activities offered by NCL are a rather important part of the cruise for me.

I`m really curios on how NCL will handle this.

• Like 2

I don’t mind for a few reasons. It’s so far away everything can change 10 times so no space right now to worry/think about it until it gets closer. Also,  it’s going to be very difficult to have true social distancing on a cruise ship. It’s one of those things everyone will have to be ok with. Though I have heard the amount of people on a ship will be lower. I think people will still chat, excursions, etc. 

I’ve also traveled over 10 years on various solo land and cruise trips. So for me I’m more on the cruise for relaxation, places to go, ease, etc. I’ve made friends on different trips but it’s not my main goal. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

These actions seem to take away the opportunity for the casual socializing that we are used to on cruises and seem to affect solos particularly hard.    Solo is one thing - isolation is something else entirely!  Is anyone else wondering about this?

Yes, I am concerned as well.  Having to wear a mask all the time when one is "out and about" is just as much of a concern for me.  

• Like 1

I think we will just have to wait and see how things progress.  I don't  sail mass market anymore so

being with 1,000's of other people doesn't concern me anymore.   A ship with 400-500 guests is probably going

to be a much different experience. Not as many folks to begin with should make things easier for adjustments. 

And River cruises have even less folks.....they normally have less than 200 guests........🙂 But I do sail solo

and have done so for the past 17 years.......I plan on sailing again next year. Nothing booked yet but will be

keeping my options open😃

• Like 1

I wouldnt have any problems with social distancing while cruising by myself. When you travel with your spouse or with a family with kids then you have a problem. But if you are traveling alone, there should be a problem for you to hide somewhere and stay away from people. There can be a problem though if you are a smoker. I cant imagine how hard for the them it has become.. I wonder whether the smoking cabins are still remain open 

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I wouldnt have any problems with social distancing while cruising by myself. When you travel with your spouse or with a family with kids then you have a problem. But if you are traveling alone, there should be a problem for you to hide somewhere and stay away from people. There can be a problem though if you are a smoker. I cant imagine how hard for the them it has become.. I wonder whether the smoking cabins are still remain open 

Unless I am mistaken, I don't believe you can smoke inside cabins............actually on many, many ships, you cannot 

even smoke inside the vessel anymore.  Most have outside areas for smokers. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Roger88 said:

. . .. But if you are traveling alone, there should be a problem for you to hide somewhere and stay away from people. . . .

Do you mean there should NOT be a problem for me to hide somewhere and stay away from people?    But that's not my concern.  I don't want to hide out alone for an entire cruise.    I am basically introverted, and I do a lot by myself, and I am not looking to make lifelong friends, but I still enjoy  casual interaction with others, and casual interactions from 6 feet away seem awkward or impossible.  

Lois, the smaller luxury lines and river cruises have been a bit out of my budget even with a partner, but you have an interesting observation that they may offer a different kind of "socially distanced" experience.   Maybe I should give them another look.  

2 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Do you mean there should NOT be a problem for me to hide somewhere and stay away from people?    But that's not my concern.  I don't want to hide out alone for an entire cruise.    I am basically introverted, and I do a lot by myself, and I am not looking to make lifelong friends, but I still enjoy  casual interaction with others, and casual interactions from 6 feet away seem awkward or impossible.  

Lois, the smaller luxury lines and river cruises have been a bit out of my budget even with a partner, but you have an interesting observation that they may offer a different kind of "socially distanced" experience.   Maybe I should give them another look.  

Yes, I think that is what the poster meant to say.......about there "not" being a problem.  I agree with you, I don't want

to "hide out" either and I am not an introvert. I enjoy the interaction of others while cruising.  And have met some

lovely folks over the years.

As for the river and/or luxury lines, I have been quite lucky and I am very thankful I am able to sail both. it is a MUCH

different experience than mass market.  If there is a way for you to try one, I HIGHLY recommend it🙂

• Like 1

I have been working all through this time as an essential worker.  So we have gone through the 'to mask or not to mask', keeping social distance of 6 feet, masking when not able to do so, masking all the time in public areas...and it continues to adapt.  Social activity will also adapt. You have almost a year before final payment, and by then, we will have a new normal.  Right now, nothing is normal so we shouldn't take any time to picture what we know now to a time 14 months in the future.  A lot of the world has a social distance of only a metre (40 inches), which is much more doable for those sociable types. But even if it needs to stay at 2 metres, people will have adapted to it.  It will feel a little awkward for new meetings and interactions, but my work peeps have been doing this for 3 months.  Take breaks in shifts to keep 2 metre distances in the lunch room.  They still visit, socialize, share time.  

I think masking will be harder for socializing in totally foreign territory as our face says so much about us. 

But there will be numerous posts about experiences, YouTube videos of how things are done on ship.  NCL and others will have rolled out videos on how to comply and all the new touchless activities.  These will help the hesitant cruiser decide if it is something they can do or not.

Personally, I don't cruise for the socializing, and as I pretty much live and work in that sort of format, I don't feel it will be a hardship to adapt....though my facial tanning may suffer 😉

My only wonder or concern is the dining concept. I have an MSC cruise booked and they do set dining.  Not sure how that will play out.  If they want to give me a table for 1 for the 20 days, I am fine with that.

Edited by mef_57
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I still enjoy  casual interaction with others, and casual interactions from 6 feet away seem awkward or impossible.  

For me, one of the pleasures of cruising is sitting at a Bar during HH and conversing with my fellow guests and the bartenders.  Trying to carry on a conversation with people who are 6 feet, 12 feet, 18 feet, etc. away is not going to be the same.  And, if a bartender is working in front of where I am seated, he/she most certainly won't be 6 feet away from me.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Social activity will also adapt. 

A good thought; I appreciate you posting this.  You are reminding us that "we need patience" to see how this situation plays out.  Thank you.  

7 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I think masking will be harder for socializing in totally foreign territory as our face says so much about us. 

👍

I think it is easier for me to accept as I have been working in this environment for 3 months.

I can only hope those who need hearing aids will accept that they do, because 6 feet or masks can really muffle a conversation. Add any added noise and the inability to lipread and things will be frustrating.

But ultimately exercise patience as time will tell.

Edited by mef_57

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

For me, one of the pleasures of cruising is sitting at a Bar during HH and conversing with my fellow guests and the bartenders.  Trying to carry on a conversation with people who are 6 feet, 12 feet, 18 feet, etc. away is not going to be the same.  And, if a bartender is working in front of where I am seated, he/she most certainly won't be 6 feet away from me.  

I think you are putting the cart way before the horse. Everything is changing every day/week. They think they can sail soon and are trying to figure through ideas but come 3 months, 6 months, etc none of us know what the regulations will be. We’ve adapted to life now, we’ll adapt to life again. 

The stress you are projecting for a cruise 1-2 years out is not going to bring you anywhere except circling in the unknown. 

I have been been doing both working from home (lock down) and at the same time working at our local schools doing needed work and passing out meals and student computers.  I am the one that has been doing shopping for my friends and family that should not be going out.  Starting last week we started Junior High and High School Water Polo practice.  With all that said I have seen drastic changes in the past 4 months.  We went from people being afraid to be on the same street as anybody else to now people standing right next to me in the grocery store and restaurants.  In central California about 50% of the people are only wearing face masks when they are forced to.  People are tiered of it and a lot have the attitude of "I want my life back even if it means I get the virus".  I believe the cruises will have some changes but they will not make you wear masks and will not make you social distance to the point of not visiting.  I do think they will be checking for a temperature often on the ship and will be not packing us in shows and dinners.  I also think getting on and off the ships will be more organized and less crowded.  I am not to concerned and have already booked solo cruise for April 2021, September 2021 and May 2022.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

As for the river and/or luxury lines, I have been quite lucky and I am very thankful I am able to sail both. it is a MUCH different experience than mass market.  If there is a way for you to try one, I HIGHLY recommend it🙂

Lois, I think we met many years ago on the Celebrity Century (in the Martini Bar of course!).  That aside, do you find the river and/or luxury lines to be as solo friendly?  That has been my hesitation in booking, in that I have been concerned everyone would all be "coupled up" and not understanding those of us that have no option.  Appreciate your feedback.

14 hours ago, bhsolo said:

. . . . . The stress you are projecting for a cruise 1-2 years out is not going to bring you anywhere except circling in the unknown. 

For me, thinking in advance about possible situations, mulling over how such situations may affect my cruise experience, and seeing how others feel about those issues, is a way of managing stress.  It helps me to prepare over time for things that may take getting used to.  I would become more stressed by pretending my future cruises will be like my past cruises and being mentally unprepared for potentially significant changes.  

These are stressful times, and different people deal with stress in different ways.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Lois, I think we met many years ago on the Celebrity Century (in the Martini Bar of course!).  That aside, do you find the river and/or luxury lines to be as solo friendly?  That has been my hesitation in booking, in that I have been concerned everyone would all be "coupled up" and not understanding those of us that have no option.  Appreciate your feedback.

Good morning, we did meet many years ago🙂.   As to your concerns,  I have found both the luxury lines and my

river cruises VERY welcoming to the solo guest.  I have sailed with Silversea 3 times and have found them superb. They make a concerted effort and offer a cocktail hour (if you want to attend), every night in one of the lounges for solos and they also reach out to see if any of you would like to dine together at dinner.

There are couples on board of course, but I have never found "coupling up" to be an issue.

As for river cruises? It is different because it is even less guests.......it is quite easy to meet other

folks. My last river cruise was back in October.  I sat with various folks almost every night for dinner. 

I love the small ship experience😃 and have been spoiled by the fabulous food, service and overall ambiance.  I have not sailed mass market in over 4 years and don't miss it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

For me, thinking in advance about possible situations, mulling over how such situations may affect my cruise experience, and seeing how others feel about those issues, is a way of managing stress.  It helps me to prepare over time for things that may take getting used to.  I would become more stressed by pretending my future cruises will be like my past cruises and being mentally unprepared for potentially significant changes.  

These are stressful times, and different people deal with stress in different ways.   

Very well said and you have expressed my thinking as well.  

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 3:35 AM, taznremmy said:

do you find the river and/or luxury lines to be as solo friendly?  That has been my hesitation in booking, in that I have been concerned everyone would all be "coupled up" and not understanding those of us that have no option. 

I guess it depends on what you consider "solo friendly", but my desire travelling solo was to be treated exactly like everyone else, whether part of a pair or not.  I chose Crystal, and have been very happy with how I've been treated as a solo passenger, as have the other solos I've met on board.  The passengers have virtually always been pleasant, and the crew have treated me very well, just as they do every passenger.  No problems being alone, no problems joining friends on board.  The passengers on cruises I've been on (usually longer trans-oceanic or Panama canal cruises) are a real mixed bag, not just couples - solos, friends, family members travelling together as well.

Crystal is the only luxury line I've sailed (as they always offer excellent solo rates), so I can't comment on other luxury lines or river cruises. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Social distancing (good god, I hate that term!) on a cruse would be my personal hell!  On every cruise I took, what made it exceed expectations by leaps and bounds wasn't the comfort of the ship, it wasn't the good food, and it wasn't the friendly crew---it was the fellow passengers I met.  They adopted me, thought I was fun, and treated me as one of their own.  We went from polite introductory handshakes to dancing up a jam circle and taking silly group pictures like old friends within days.  If such an experience won't be possible on my next cruise, I'll either scramble to find a cruising group any way I know, or just forego cruising altogether.

That said, when I went to Wisconsin Dells in June, the town pretty much gave the finger to social distancing.  My group of friends was exchanging hugs and taking selfies with another group we met, all within less than 2 hours of first introductions.  And half the cars on the streets sported Illinois plates, which is a beacon of hope: people are people, and there'll always be social experiences.

Masks, I can put up with.  But social distancing will be a HUGE deal-breaker.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

That said, when I went to Wisconsin Dells in June, the town pretty much gave the finger to social distancing.  My group of friends was exchanging hugs and taking selfies with another group we met, all within less than 2 hours of first introductions.  And half the cars on the streets sported Illinois plates, which is a beacon of hope: people are people, and there'll always be social experiences.

Masks, I can put up with.  But social distancing will be a HUGE deal-breaker.

This selfish reason is why we cannot travel, why no country will allow us in and why there are state quarantine lists. Because of your need to have a social experience that is more important than trying to get this virus under control and stop it. This could have been stopped ages ago but for selfish, self-important, righteous "I am smarter than doctors and don't care what anyone says or who I transmit the virus to as long as I am having fun" it continues. If everyone does their part we can travel and get back to a social world, if everyone does not do their part we are stuck like this. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1