Am I reading too much into this?

newyorker123

I have a 14-day Mediterranean cruise scheduled for October 14th of this year.  My 14-day cruise shows some availability in the upper cabins but looking at each 7-day cruise by itself shows everything available.  Anyone have a clue what that means?  I'm thinking it means - I can't say it - but not good.

BUT, if it's still on, maybe I can get an upsell into a better cabin.

I mean it might be a sign that the cruise might get cancelled and people are just afraid of booking it. Or, the information has not been yet updated and you see an old information. In any case, dont think about too much. If you ask me, I would say that Mid Autumn sounds alright. You should have a nice cruise. You might not have way too many copassangers with you but it will still be enjoyable 

• Haha 1

Just now, pinotlover said:

Unless they’re on the Insignia, no other Oceania ship is scheduled to be sailing then.

Really?  Where did you see that?  I did see a list of ships and when their crews are supposed to be back onboard but I still have a reservation.  😞

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

I mean it might be a sign that the cruise might get cancelled and people are just afraid of booking it. Or, the information has not been yet updated and you see an old information. In any case, dont think about too much. If you ask me, I would say that Mid Autumn sounds alright. You should have a nice cruise. You might not have way too many copassangers with you but it will still be enjoyable 

Got it.  I was hoping they would sail with fewer people lol

Just now, newyorker123 said:

Sirena

In a list that was leaked recently by a crew member of NCL, your ship is scheduled to  be in service on 10-28-20.  Nobody knows if this is accurate or if "in service" means for crew or for passengers.

Here's the link to the discussion:

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

In a list that was leaked recently by a crew member of NCL, your ship is scheduled to  be in service on 10-28-20.  Nobody knows if this is accurate or if "in service" means for crew or for passengers.

Here's the link to the discussion:

I did see that and that's why I've been checking every day.  My cruise is the 14th to the 28th and I just got a great price drop so, of course, it will be cancelled.  Thank you.

3 minutes ago, newyorker123 said:

I did see that and that's why I've been checking every day.  My cruise is the 14th to the 28th and I just got a great price drop so, of course, it will be cancelled.  Thank you.

Darn!  That really stinks.  I'd just wait and see...but definitely don't pay for an upgrade!  I found a deal on Riviera for March 2021.  Maybe check out some of the ships on the list that have a later restart date and schedule something else?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Darn!  That really stinks.  I'd just wait and see...but definitely don't pay for an upgrade!  I found a deal on Riviera for March 2021.  Maybe check out some of the ships on the list that have a later restart date and schedule something else?

I'll look at the Riviera.  I really don't like their website though.  I feel like I'm going in circles.  This was a 14-day from Barcelona to Venice for $1800 pp.  $1800!!!  I got a $1K price drop for the two of us.  Maybe that's if we take the FCC we would get less.

1 hour ago, newyorker123 said:

I'll look at the Riviera.  I really don't like their website though.  I feel like I'm going in circles.  This was a 14-day from Barcelona to Venice for $1800 pp.  $1800!!!  I got a $1K price drop for the two of us.  Maybe that's if we take the FCC we would get less.

well you never know what will happen by then

Italy is opening up & Spain also   the only  unknown  is if flights  from the US  will be allowed  in

2 hours ago, newyorker123 said:

I have a 14-day Mediterranean cruise scheduled for October 14th of this year.  My 14-day cruise shows some availability in the upper cabins but looking at each 7-day cruise by itself shows everything available.  Anyone have a clue what that means?  I'm thinking it means - I can't say it - but not good.

BUT, if it's still on, maybe I can get an upsell into a better cabin.

What you are seeing is not unusual.

If you are looking at an extended journey cruise, "availability" of any particular cabin depends on the combination of both segments having that same cabin open.

So (for example), while segment A may show cabin xx10 as available, the "extended journey" (A+B) xx10 listing may not show "available" If segment B's xx10 is already booked.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, LHT28 said:

well you never know what will happen by then

Italy is opening up & Spain also   the only  unknown  is if flights  from the US  will be allowed  in

Spain is not opening up to cruise ships. Ban remains with no indication when it will be lifted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, edgee said:

Spain is not opening up to cruise ships. Ban remains with no indication when it will be lifted.

Boo.  One can have hope but it's dwindling.  I just wish if it was going to be cancelled, they would do it already so I can move on to other options.  thank you!! 

Cruising should be carefree and relaxing.  It’s a vacation, not a survival exercise.  Until there is a vaccine, many people will not travel.  I would hate to think that my last cruise in March on Sirena would be the end of cruising as we know it.  Until people feel safe to travel, cruises will be empty.

9 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Until people feel safe to travel, cruises will be empty.

Actually, until individuals feel it is safe, by their own definition of the term, to travel, those individuals will not travel.

Making any general observation about what the greater population will do is purely speculative at this point.

I’m sure by Redtravel’s personal definition it is currently unsafe to go out to eat at restaurants. Our favorite local restaurant is turning away enough customers seeking reservations nightly to fill the establishment at 100% capacity, no less the current lower capacity they must adhere to. Neither the actions of those firmly hunkered down, nor those regularly out represent the masses. Claims of empty vessels are highly opinionated and yet unsubstainable.

18 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Actually, until individuals feel it is safe, by their own definition of the term, to travel, those individuals will not travel.

Making any general observation about what the greater population will do is purely speculative at this point.

I’m sure by Redtravel’s personal definition it is currently unsafe to go out to eat at restaurants. Our favorite local restaurant is turning away enough customers seeking reservations nightly to fill the establishment at 100% capacity, no less the current lower capacity they must adhere to. Neither the actions of those firmly hunkered down, nor those regularly out represent the masses. Claims of empty vessels are highly opinionated and yet unsubstainable.

Depends where you live and how much you are affected by current restrictions. There are some places that have few cases of COVID-19. People who live there are lucky. I live in New Jersey.  NJ has been hit hard.  It was the last state to lift some restrictions. For weeks, we stayed quarantined fearing that going out could be deadly.  Only went out for food.  There are often lines to wait in before you are allowed in a store. Had food, etc. delivered when available. Food delivery from local supermarkets was almost impossible to reserve slots. Many items have been unavailable.  It’s getting better, but still not good. We have adjusted to finding alternative sources of food. Doctors have canceled many appointments or offer telephone or online visits. Only really essential medical care was available for several weeks. Now, some doctors will see patients in offices. We watched friends die.  Zoom and other online sites keep us connected. While statistics report a decline in new cases, people are still getting sick and/or dying.  As for restaurants, there are very few restaurants open doing take out only.  In the past 2 weeks, more restaurants have reopened.  Menus are limited. This week, outdoor dining with social distancing, wearing masks, limited capacity is now allowed.  There are some restaurants that have outdoor space that have set up some tables. Some retail and salons opened this week with very strict restrictions.  For several weeks, mail delivery was extremely delayed.  It has improved some.  What should take less than a week can take 3 weeks to show up.  Tracking packages lists a date and reschedules many times.  It is improving slowly.  We are still staying home. Even if we want to go out, there are many places closed.  This week we were supposed to be on a Viking trip to Norway and British Isles which Viking canceled and refunded.  Other cruise lines only issued fcc.  For now, we are staying home and will only think about travel when things are safe.  

36 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Definitely no Europe cruises for Americans this year, 2020. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html

Where does it say this???   It does not. 

It just says that when EU reopens people from USA (and also Brazil, UK and others) will not be allowed.,except repatriates who will have to do a 14 day quarantine. There will be restrictions even for Spain.

Of course your source is the FAKE NEWS NY Times. Of course 1/2 the article is bashing our President.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Where does it say this???   It does not. 

It just says that when EU reopens people from USA (and also Brazil, UK and others) will not be allowed.,except repatriates who will have to do a 14 day quarantine. There will be restrictions even for Spain.

Of course your source is the FAKE NEWS NY Times. Of course 1/2 the article is bashing our President.

Paul, I agree with you about the NYT. They can't help themselves with bashing President Trump. This article just popped on to Drudge Report within the last hour. I have no idea if it is fake or not, just showing here for people to take as they want to. I am merely extrapolating out what might happen. I can see that the EU would be tit for tat with the US.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Paul, I agree with you about the NYT. They can't help themselves with bashing President Trump. This article just popped on to Drudge Report within the last hour. I have no idea if it is fake or not, just showing here for people to take as they want to. I am merely extrapolating out what might happen. I can see that the EU would be tit for tat with the US.

I work for an EU company and commute quite frequently to their HQ.

Here is the best site for the latest and it varies by country -- there still is no one EU despite what my colleagues say.

https://reopen.europa.eu/en

I was hoping to take a Danube Christmas cruise and then attend my Company end of year holiday party.  🙂

Until we get our counts down no travel even to Canada.