Restricted travel from the Tri State area

setsail1975

We are currently booked on the August 8th sailing on the Breeze departing from Port Canaveral. We also live in CT where as of right now we are one of the states that are currently mandated to self quarantine upon arrival into Florida. I know as of right we are in limbo as to if the cruise is actually going to sail. I’m just curious how the cruise line will handle this. I called Carnival and the agent made it seem as if there wouldn’t be a problem, but we are scheduled to fly in the day before the cruise into Orlando. Honestly I feel she may have not known what to say to me.

I’ve seen that you are handed a mandatory self isolation form upon arriving at the airport in MCO. Basically saying you will self isolate for the duration of your trip into Florida for at least 14 days or the duration of your stay if less than 14 by signing the form and not abiding , you can be fined or jailed. If this mandate is lifted by our sailing then we will be fine, but if not has anyone heard how Carnival is handling this? Will we be exempt from cancellation penalties from Carnival?

On top of it according to my employer they are telling me if I travel out of the country via cruising I may be subject to self quarantine for 14 days on my return, which is a whole other issue. Cause I’m not approved for those additional 2 weeks off, even though they are telling me I have to.....I’m just curious if anyone else from the Tri state area has inquired to Carnival and maybe have heard something different that I may not have? This is becoming more of a hassle then it’s worth and even though I booked this week back in December, I regret making my final payment in May.

Wow. I feel for you, but please know you are not alone in your delima. Many are facing the same thing. You may want to consider cancelling your booking. Things not looking good for you to sail anyway. If Carnival cancels, then you can always get either:

1.) 100% full refund of your cruise fare, or

2.) 100% future cruise credit, with up to $600 on board credit to be used for a future sailing. 

Those are the basics. for the details you'll have to research the those alternatives. Don't decide on what I say. I'm only offering suggestions. 

Bestest of luck to you. I hope you find your answer. 

I personally think carnival is cancelling. There was a post from someone below who booked dream and airfare thru carnival. I predicted she wouldnt get a straight answer today why her flight booked thru carnival is cancelled, they would give her the run around.

She finally replied back she tried Twitter and fb and was told they dont have access to the flights so she said she would try and make time while she was at work to call, but I predict at best a "we will look into it". Maybe by the end of this week we will know about August. But sounds to me like August isnt a go.

As jimbo points out if august were a go we would already see ships moving to those ports, or hear of crew being called back. Takes 6 to 8 weeks to practice for a production number, but even skipping that they have to be getting a hold of crew soon.

Try not to panic. 

Edited by firefly333

With all do respect to you, firefly, panic is not in my vocabulary. There is always an out, or a better alternative, no matter how glum the circumstances may be at the present.

I'll say it again...we don't know what we don't know. And setsail, please know that you will not lose any money over this mess. It's damn sure a disappointment, and a majorly inconvenience, but you WILL sail again...It's just a matter of time. W

We all have to hang on to our hopes, dreams and aspirations. Our time is coming for sure.....We just don't know when. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

With all do respect to you, firefly, panic is not in my vocabulary. There is always an out, or a better alternative, no matter how glum the circumstances may be at the present.

I'll say it again...we don't know what we don't know. And setsail, please know that you will not lose any money over this mess. It's damn sure a disappointment, and a majorly inconvenience, but you WILL sail again...It's just a matter of time. W

We all have to hang on to our hopes, dreams and aspirations. Our time is coming for sure.....We just don't know when. 

With all due respect it's the op with the travel restrictions.

Maybe poor choice of words  but I'm saying to the OP I wouldnt cancel, sit it out, i think we will know soon about august.

And i can understand if i were the op being a little worried.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I personally think carnival is cancelling. There was a post from someone below who booked dream and airfare thru carnival. I predicted she wouldnt get a straight answer today why her flight booked thru carnival is cancelled, they would give her the run around.

She finally replied back she tried Twitter and fb and was told they dont have access to the flights so she said she would try and make time while she was at work to call, but I predict at best a "we will look into it". Maybe by the end of this week we will know about August. But sounds to me like August isnt a go.

As jimbo points out if august were a go we would already see ships moving to those ports, or hear of crew being called back. Takes 6 to 8 weeks to practice for a production number, but even skipping that they have to be getting a hold of crew soon.

Try not to panic. 

I don't think you have been wrong on any of your predictions yet.

9 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I don't think you have been wrong on any of your predictions yet.

I have to agree. Point well taken firefly. And thanks.

Edited by Joe817

I am also from the Tri-State . Going down day before cruise/ I am getting in pretty late in the day so actually will be self isolating at the hotel :classic_biggrin:.

What I find ironic is our numbers are way lower than Fla because our lockdown ha been longer and observed.:classic_unsure:

• Like 2

The self quarantine will not be around much longer for travel to Florida from the Tri-state area. The theme parks and other tourists areas are opening and there's too many visitors from those areas to keep the restriction in place.

• Like 3

Since all cruise lines will know where you are coming from I wonder if the state (Fla) would require they certify that all passengers from that area have done the quarantine. 

I wonder if there will be an exception for cruisers as you would be out of the state.

17 minutes ago, bobsfamily said:

Since all cruise lines will know where you are coming from I wonder if the state (Fla) would require they certify that all passengers from that area have done the quarantine. 

I wonder if there will be an exception for cruisers as you would be out of the state.

I just looked at the current Florida quarantine and there actually is an exception.  The way the rule reads is that travelers into the state are quarantined for 14 day OR until they leave the state.  I would assume leaving the state via cruise ship would satisfy that requirement.  Presumably one would be required to self-quarantine in a hotel until embarkation.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

I just looked at the current Florida quarantine and there actually is an exception.  The way the rule reads is that travelers into the state are quarantined for 14 day OR until they leave the state.  I would assume leaving the state via cruise ship would satisfy that requirement.  Presumably one would be required to self-quarantine in a hotel until embarkation.

Does it state when that expires? Thanks 

2 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

The self quarantine will not be around much longer for travel to Florida from the Tri-state area. The theme parks and other tourists areas are opening and there's too many visitors from those areas to keep the restriction in place.

I tend to agree, because Florida now has it worse than the tri-state area does. Given how gung-ho the state has been to quickly lift other restrictions, I'm surprised it's still in place now. (

But if it does remain in place, I assume Carnival will have to cancel the cruises. I'm sure the number of passengers coming from the tri-state area is not insignificant.

57 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Does it state when that expires? Thanks 

It was until July 7th, but was recently extended indefinitely according to this article.

https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/mandatory-two-week-quarantine-extended-indefinitely-for-visitors-traveling-to-florida-from-new-york-tri-state-area/

Which seems odd given all three states now have a fairly low new case count compared to Florida, but perhaps it's being driven by some political considerations.

Incidentally, you can tell the person who wrote it isn't familiar with the term "tri-state area". Normally that means the greater NYC area, including it's NJ and CT outlying suburbs. Buffalo, NY, for example, is not by any means remotely close to the tri-state area. But the Florida governor's executive order seems to be including the entirety of all three states in the tri-state area. Many areas in others states are far closer to NYC than Buffalo is, and yet Buffalo has restrictions. But DC, RI, MA, most if not all of PA, MD and DE, etc., are closer, but are not restricted.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

It was until July 7th, but was recently extended indefinitely according to this article.

https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/mandatory-two-week-quarantine-extended-indefinitely-for-visitors-traveling-to-florida-from-new-york-tri-state-area/

Which seems odd given all three states now have a fairly low new case count compared to Florida, but perhaps it's being driven by some political considerations.

Incidentally, you can tell the person who wrote it isn't familiar with the term "tri-state area". Normally that means the greater NYC area, including it's NJ and CT outlying suburbs. Buffalo, NY, for example, is not by any means remotely close to the tri-state area. But the Florida governor's executive order seems to be including the entirety of all three states in the tri-state area. Many areas in others states are far closer to NYC than Buffalo is, and yet Buffalo has restrictions. But DC, RI, MA, most if not all of PA, MD and DE, etc., are closer, but are not restricted.

Thanks that helps as my daughter lives in Maryland and we are cruising in August and I live in Indiana. 

With Disney opening in July, and Universal open now, I imagine there are a number of trip-state residents who are down in Florida right now, and not self-quarantining.  They did not pay to go to Universal to sit in a hotel room, and the same will be true with Disney.   As it is often cheaper flying to Florida and picking up a cruise from there - rather than cruising from NY - I can't imagine the quarantine rule being in effect much past July.  

Hello from south Florida.  I live in Palm Beach County and we are still in Phase I but the Mayor has sent a letter to Governor DeSantis requesting that our county be allowed to enter Phase II.  All restaurants in our area are open for inside table service dining, the beaches are open, grocery stores and drugstores are open, etc.  People are chomping at the bit waiting for Disney World to open next month (I think the line for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is forming right now).  The Boca Town Center Mall is open, hair salons, gyms, etc.

90% of the residents are wearing masks in public and everyone I come in contact with seems to be following the rules, however, Palm Beach County is still seeing an escalation in Coronavirus cases.

My friend had a part time job working on weekends for a rental car agency at the entrance to Port Everglades and they furloughed all their employees two months ago and no news when or if they will re-open.  This was a prime rental car location for cruise passengers.  I expect when he gets called back, I'll know the cruise ships will be sailing again.

I have a B2B cruise booked on the Breeze the last week of October and first week of November and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we sail by then.  I feel everyone's concern that have cruises booked in August that have to fly or drive to Florida.  I called Carnival today to request that my cruises be linked and the representative I spoke to sidestepped every question I had.  I live 15 minutes from Port Everglades and don't have the dilemma of booking airfare or taking time off from work that so many others are dealing with.  If my cruises are cancelled, I will probably re-book, however, if this uncertainty continues for months and I'm booking only to be cancelled again and again, I will definitely look at other options and spend vacation money on land based vacations or fly to one of the beautiful ABC islands for vacation.  I love cruising but dealing with booking, cancelling, refunds then starting all over again just to have that cruise cancelled, etc.  I re-booked a cruise that was cancelled in April for April 2021 but I believe it's all a crap shoot at this point.  

Good luck to everyone.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Wow. I feel for you, but please know you are not alone in your delima. Many are facing the same thing. You may want to consider cancelling your booking. Things not looking good for you to sail anyway. If Carnival cancels, then you can always get either:

1.) 100% full refund of your cruise fare, or

2.) 100% future cruise credit, with up to $600 on board credit to be used for a future sailing. 

Those are the basics. for the details you'll have to research the those alternatives. Don't decide on what I say. I'm only offering suggestions. 

Bestest of luck to you. I hope you find your answer. 

The specific amounts are subject to change with each future announcement. With new verbiage used, we can expect the compensation to be different eventually. They can’t offer $600 to everyone indefinitely. Several times in the past, cruises have been cancelled without any compensation and only a refund.

Edited by xDisconnections

OP ncl just cancelled thru sept ... still betting carnival not far behind. 

Yes, I just saw that. Well if Carnival cancels on us then it’s out of my hands and at that point I’ll either take a future cruise credit or my cruise refunded in about 3 months. Makes my decision much easier. I hope they decide sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums