Where are you spending your STAYCATION?

cynt

On 6/18/2020 at 7:20 AM, pe4all said:

We have done several parks/hiking trails here on Long Island.  We try to walk 5-7 miles a day.   Our "major" trips - a cruise (March), trip to Disneyworld (May), trip to Galapagos (July) - all were cancelled.  We can't even risk going to our FLL condo (which we use for long holiday weekends) because of quarantine rules on New Yorkers going to Florida and the spike of cases in FLL.  Hoping things ease up in July, and we take the chance and fly to Florida.

Are out of state drivers allowed to access Long Island?  We were thinking of driving up this Labor Day weekend to visit family.  TIA!

Are out of state drivers allowed to access Long Island?  We were thinking of driving up this Labor Day weekend to visit family.  TIA!

Yes. Long Island starts phase 3 tomorrow. Indoor dining at 50% capacity. By Labor Day everything should be open. I’d imagine masks will still be required indoor where social distancing isn’t possible.No mandatory quarantine for travelers from other states.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

my staycation is at home, my house, my back yard, my front yard and porch.  Same as it has been for the last four years.  I have not been able to travel for my own reasons, being caregiver to elderly parents.  Some things have changed here for me.  For one, I am down to one remaining parent, having lost one three weeks ago. I am in no hurry to try to travel anywhere, and even if I could , I am limited to where I or we can go.  Borders are closed between countries, and even some provinces here.  Having still one parent to look after, I dont even entertain the idea of travelling, even to a neary resort, hotel, because  i dont want to expose my mother to infection.  For me it is home for now...and a good thing that I like my house, and my gardens.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SMSACE6 said:

my staycation is at home, my house, my back yard, my front yard and porch.  Same as it has been for the last four years.  I have not been able to travel for my own reasons, being caregiver to elderly parents.  Some things have changed here for me.  For one, I am down to one remaining parent, having lost one three weeks ago. I am in no hurry to try to travel anywhere, and even if I could , I am limited to where I or we can go.  Borders are closed between countries, and even some provinces here.  Having still one parent to look after, I dont even entertain the idea of travelling, even to a neary resort, hotel, because  i dont want to expose my mother to infection.  For me it is home for now...and a good thing that I like my house, and my gardens.

I am so sorry for the loss of your parent.  Your mother is fortunate to have you to help her.  That can't be easy all of the time. My father-in-law recently slipped and fractured his pelvis and has been to the hospital twice in two days.  My mother-in-law is still alive and helps him.  She survived three different types of cancer and still keeps going.  One of these days it will be just one of them, but they rely on me and my husband for a lot of things.  I hope you someday get a break and are able to take a nice vacation.  I envy people who garden.  That must be very meaningful to you.

We are DVC members and so we have decided we needed some new walls to look at instead of staying home most of the time ( we are both 67).   We plan to stay in a two bedroom villa at Old Key West in WDW in September.   We will NOT be doing the parks.  Mainly, just enjoying our accommodations and using the pool if not too crowded.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Yes. Long Island starts phase 3 tomorrow. Indoor dining at 50% capacity. By Labor Day everything should be open. I’d imagine masks will still be required indoor where social distancing isn’t possible.No mandatory quarantine for travelers from other states.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just saw today that Gov Cuomo is announcing a travel advisory against South Carolina.  Hope that lifts by Labor Day weekend!😥

Update. So here we are at the end of June staycation. It's a warm one today  Not even sure I should be counting down to our Breeze cruise in April. Until then, it's sun and fun on the water all summer. I just need to find someone to bring me food drinks food. It's not quite 100,000 tons but it works.IMG_3546.thumb.JPG.9c06ca7fcd6137c957467eee969fcfdf.JPGIMG_3523.thumb.JPG.6f25c97b1152ad03ab8d9e495c0694c8.JPGIMG_3556.thumb.JPG.cb805a3d37edd09f397d104070e8ad7c.JPG

• Like 2

On 6/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

Doesn't the term "staycation" automatically imply you are spending it at home? If you're going on a road trip, it's not a staycation.

Thank you for saying this, because I was just going to say the same thing! I think the OP is confused and meant to ask, “Where are you going on vacation (within your own country) since we can’t travel abroad right now?” Because there’s only one answer to “where are you spending your staycation” and that’s “home.”

Which is actually what I’m doing right now. Off work this week and next week. Two weeks of PTO that were supposed to be used for our Norwegian Fjords cruise out of London on the Legend. Sad that we can’t go anywhere, but we are making the best of it by doing a lot of things around the house that we have been putting off. 

4 hours ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Thank you for saying this, because I was just going to say the same thing! I think the OP is confused and meant to ask, “Where are you going on vacation (within your own country) since we can’t travel abroad right now?” Because there’s only one answer to “where are you spending your staycation” and that’s “home.”

Which is actually what I’m doing right now. Off work this week and next week. Two weeks of PTO that were supposed to be used for our Norwegian Fjords cruise out of London on the Legend. Sad that we can’t go anywhere, but we are making the best of it by doing a lot of things around the house that we have been putting off. 

What country are you from that's prohibiting you from traveling abroad? That's crazy and I'd be highly upset. 

5 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

What country are you from that's prohibiting you from traveling abroad? That's crazy and I'd be highly upset. 

Um, the United States state department has had a "no international travel" advisory for months. Technically people can fly to a few countries, but there's no guarantee that they will be granted entry. 

On 6/20/2020 at 5:45 PM, rabidstoat said:

I have off week after next. I'm debating between vacationing in my living room, or maybe in the guest bedroom as a change of scenery. Perhaps the garage now that it's cleaned out.

This right here is the definition of a staycation. If you're not at home, it's a vacation. If people would stay home for a few weeks, maybe things could return to normal! But alas, here I am at home indefinitely going from my upstairs work chair to my downstairs couch 8 days a week. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Um, the United States state department has had a "no international travel" advisory for months. Technically people can fly to a few countries, but there's no guarantee that they will be granted entry. 

Oh, ok. We're flying to the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks for our next vacation. SUPER excited!! The airport in Punta Cana reopened today. 

I fully understand what a staycation is. We aren't going anywhere. Working, sleeping and eating on the boat all summer. At least it's summer and the weather is nice. Otherwise I'd just be moving from room to room in the house. We aren't leaving the state for the near future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

Oh, ok. We're flying to the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks for our next vacation. SUPER excited!! The airport in Punta Cana reopened today. 

Where will you be staying and what kind of great deal were you able to get?

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Where will you be staying and what kind of great deal were you able to get?

We're staying at Sanctuary in Cap Cana. We were torn between there and Secrets, but Sanctuary had better reviews and seemed more upscale. They had a great sale going on and we ended up booking for a week there in The Castle.

Leaving tomorrow for a 10 road trip through Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan and Lower Michigan.    

In August we are going to Las Vegas in place of the cruise that was cancelled.  Staying at the Golden Nugget and Mandalay Bay.   

Nothing keeps my vacations at bay  LOL  .   I get 7 weeks of vacation a year and love to travel. 

To answer the OP's question, if a third cruise is cancelled due to Corona, I will stay in contact hoping to book an amazing old hotel in Marfa, Texas,  a tiny town at the southern foot of the Davis Mountains in west Texas.  It was established during stagecoach days of the old west, and one of its more recent claims to fame is that the cast of Giant stayed there in the fifties while filming.

The Rock Hudson suite is my favorite.  I've stayed there 4 times since the mid eighties.  It's ridiculously expensive and the town is so small that a Dairy Queen and generally one other fly by night restaurant, are the only dining choices.  Social distancing isn't a problem, it's just about a way of life.

It's one place on land that I've found that comes close to the quiet, beautiful feeling of being on a ship, surrounded by only the ocean, and I would be thrilled to spend a few days there with the granddaughter who was going to accompany me on the cancelled September cruise.

It's not a cruise and I wouldn't take her unless and until it was safe, but it's my only Plan B at the moment.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

We're staying at Sanctuary in Cap Cana. We were torn between there and Secrets, but Sanctuary had better reviews and seemed more upscale. They had a great sale going on and we ended up booking for a week there in The Castle.

Secrets are very nice, stayed at their Silversands location in the Riviera Maya section of Mexico back in 2009 during the H1N1 scare.  Got great airfare and a Buy a night, get a night free promotion.  Their Maroma Beach location in Mexico gets great reviews and it is on one of the best beaches.  Have a great stay.

• Like 1

For the summer we are definitely staycationing.  We are currently trying to figure out what to do though since our November cruise was just cancelled.  So hard to plan since no one knows what the world is really going to be like then.  Not sure I can take the disappointment of another cancelled vacation. 😄  I would like to go to one of the (I think) 18 states I haven't been to yet but most of them will be colder in November.  And I definitely don't want to go somewhere where I have to cook!  LOL  Always wanted to go to New Orleans so may check that out.  Love getting ideas from this topic!