Viking won’t refund our cruise fare

Vmjackson63

Our Second Viking cruise was cancelled.  When first one was cancelled we took voucher and booked again.  The second cruise was cancelled due to Covid.  Viking now refuses to give us a cash refund in the amount of the original cruise fare.   We have emailed and called their customer service to no avail.   This amounts to them stealing over $10,000 of our hard earned dollars.  Any advice?

1 hour ago, Vmjackson63 said:

Our Second Viking cruise was cancelled.  When first one was cancelled we took voucher and booked again.  The second cruise was cancelled due to Covid.  Viking now refuses to give us a cash refund in the amount of the original cruise fare.   We have emailed and called their customer service to no avail.   This amounts to them stealing over $10,000 of our hard earned dollars.  Any advice?

Hopefully you paid with a good credit card.

Viking also tried to cheat us by not returning our money and we were made whole by our credit card company.  I hope you are able to get your money back but I would not count on Viking,

17 hours ago, Vmjackson63 said:

Oh my.  If I understand you correctly, Viking cancelled your first cruise and you rebooked using their voucher.  Then they cancelled that cruise as well, and now only want to reissue you another voucher (not cash).    Was there anything in their written documentation that states this is what will happen if they cancel 2 cruises in a row?

I am curious to know what happens as many of us have a rebooked cruise from a COVID cancelled one.  It would be good for us all to know what would occur if 1. Viking cancels the rebooked cruise  and/or if 2. The customer cancels the rebooked cruise.

My guess is that for Viking to "cheat" you (strong words), or any of us, there must be language that says you can still get a cash refund if they cancel the rebooked 2nd cruise, meaning they are not adhering to their own rules.

• Like 1

Does that $10K of your hard earned dollars that Viking stole from you include any of that 125% future cruise voucher money that they gave you from the first cancelled cruise?

If so, well you know.

19 hours ago, Vmjackson63 said:

Sorry to learn of your two cancelled cruises.  I may be wrong, but I believe once you go the voucher route, you're in voucher country and cannot revert to cash.

Are you now unable to use your voucher on a future cruise?

After a few shenanigans with our vouchers, I was able to get it all straightened out by (repeatedly) contacting Viking Cruises TellUs/Viking Social by email at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. It's worth a try - they seem to have better knowledge and authority.

I was able to find the video message from the Chairman of Viking (see below) regarding second wave of cancellations through August 2020.  In the video he clearly states that ALL passengers currently booked on a cancelled cruise shall have two options.  One a voucher worth 125 percent of original cruise fare or 100 percent of original cruise fare paid!  We only want the original cruise fare paid, not 125 percent.  I sent this to Viking rep and low and behold I got a phone call and hopefully will be refunded cash paid shortly.  I will keep you posted.

https://viking.tv/episode/tors-corner-may