Carnival Corp to retire 6 ships in next 90 days

I think this decision is based on the reduced demand that is likely to happen whenever cruises resume. People who have cruised frequently, which applies to most people on this site, are likely to cruise again sooner or later. 

However, I think there will be a significant reduction in the number of potential new  cruisers who at one point might have decided to try a cruise but will decide otherwise in the future based on all the negativity (fair or not) associated with cruise ships. JH frequently posted the passenger breakdown for cruises. With a few exceptions, there were always a large number of blue cards on each cruise. The demand will drop considerably if this group of passengers is smaller in the future. 

For those who say bookings are up in the future to include 2021, that is directly related to the large number of cruises that have been cancelled. The demand will initially be strong when cruising resumes due to all the rebookings, FCCs, etc. But long term this demand will diminish over time after cruise lines resume operations. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

IMHO I think we will see the older fantasy ships go, HAL S and R Class, Pacific Princess, and others. I am not that familiar with Costa and P&O But I’m probably not that far off base. Possibly Victory too because the refurbish hasn’t started yet (or get rid of some older P&O Aus ships and send victory to take its place)

Edited by UPNYGuy

32 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Link for those interested:   https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/carnival-corporation-cuts-six-ships-as-return-to-operations-slips/

This seems to be across all brands - Costa Victoria was named as one of the possibilites.  Guess they will be looking at some of their older, smaller ships to axe.

costa Victoria wiki page was marked as sold

Ecstasy and Fascination are both likely candidates for imminent retirement as they are currently in India.
What are these ships doing in India ?
are there any sailings planned around India?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thx for posting.  When it says "retired" does that mean sold to another cruise line or broken down for parts? Or turned into another cruise ship with another name for Carnival? TIA!

Additional info...

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-sells-six-cruise-ships-more-to-come/

Looks like some of the 6 ships may go directly to scrap...additionally, they're apparently negotiating for the removal of more ships after the first 6 are gone....and it also looks like Mardi Gras and (I'm assuming) Radiance will be delayed.

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Thx for posting.  When it says "retired" does that mean sold to another cruise line or broken down for parts? Or turned into another cruise ship with another name for Carnival? TIA!

Pretty good question, my guess would be retire from their line (example the Fantasy retire from Carnival).  They would love to sell them, but my second guess would be tat there is nota huge market for used cruise ships right now.  If there was a fairly rich entrepreneur, this would be an interesting time to do a start up (it would probably take a year to get things going anyways).

2 minutes ago, N7786W Flyer said:

Additional info...

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-sells-six-cruise-ships-more-to-come/

Looks like some of the 6 ships may go directly to scrap...additionally, they're apparently negotiating for the removal of more ships after the first 6 are gone....and it also looks like Mardi Gras and Radiance will be delayed.

Garnett

I saw nothing on the Mardi Gras mentioned in either article.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I saw nothing on the Mardi Gras mentioned in either article.

From the article...

That line-up includes some big-ticket ships across numerous brands. “We had several coming this year,” he said. “Enchanted Princess in our Princess Cruises Line, Iona in our P&O Line, and of course Mardi Gras from our Carnival line. Those ships are all going to be delayed.”

1 minute ago, N7786W Flyer said:

From the article...

That line-up includes some big-ticket ships across numerous brands. “We had several coming this year,” he said. “Enchanted Princess in our Princess Cruises Line, Iona in our P&O Line, and of course Mardi Gras from our Carnival line. Those ships are all going to be delayed.”

I read that as into service..  Isn’t both the Iona and Enchanted Princess delivered?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ihearttravel11 said:

I wonder what will happen to reservations on those ships? Credit towards a new one, or refund, or moved straight across to another ship? We are booked for Imagination (older ship) in February.

In previous times when a ship was sold, they offered to move the reservation to another ship, most times with a ship that replaced the original in terms of itinerary, obviously there are many factors to consider, such as timing etc.

I read that as into service..  Isn’t both the Iona and Enchanted Princess delivered?  

My interpretation of the article was that delivery from the shipyard would be delayed since they spoke of issues getting supplies to the shipyard....but, I could have misinterpreted. 

As far as Enchanted Princess and Iona go, Wikipedia (yes, I know it's not always accurate) says the ships haven't been delivered.

Garnett

• Like 2

In previous times when a ship was sold, they offered to move the reservation to another ship, most times with a ship that replaced the original in terms of itinerary, obviously there are many factors to consider, such as timing etc.

My cruise on Ecstasy on Sept 3, 2020 is still on in my Cruise Manager.  I wonder if Carnival will switch out to another ship or just cancel?  And my final payment is June 20.  Here we go....

28 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

The ships took crew home 

Indeed.

And the major ship breakers are in India and Pakistan so very interesting that those were the ships chosen to repatriate crew from that area.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

My cruise on Ecstasy on Sept 3, 2020 is still on in my Cruise Manager.  I wonder if Carnival will switch out to another ship or just cancel?  And my final payment is June 20.  Here we go....

Interesting times for sure.  Nothing was mentioned which ships, I assume they would cover all lines and would take the oldest....but just a guess.

I've been surprised that just in the short time I've been cruising they've added three ships and haven't retired any of the older ones. This seems like the perfect time to do it. Cruises are already canceled. Ships are nearly empty. I'd be contacting to the Bahamas Paradise people and see if they're looking to expand or upgrade.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Interesting times for sure.  Nothing was mentioned which ships, I assume they would cover all lines and would take the oldest....but just a guess.

Ah that's true. It's the entire corporation. Not just CCL. So this probably isn't total wipeout of the fantasy class. Maybe just getting rid of a couple of the older ones.