Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

1 minute ago, Monorail Orange said:

I think that's a list of eight of which six are under consideration.

And from what I can tell, it may not be all six from Carnival. Could be just two of those listed and the rest from the other fleets.

Ah, I see, thank you.👍

So, a loss from the P&O fleet as part of the reduction remains a possibility.

No problem. 🙂

I think it is a possibility. It might be a case of one from each brand - and they have six main brands  Although some will be exempt - Cunard being a smaller fleet for example.

I'm sure if its just age based, there are plenty in other fleets that are older than Oceana, so there's hope.

Yes there were indeed eight ships on that list and I don't think that it is a definitive list of those about to be sold/scrapped.

On a US video which referred to an interview a day or two ago with the Carnival Corporation CEO, there was reference made to the older Fantasy  class of ship still being profitable (in normal times) - and needed as Carnival Cruises (as opposed to the corporation itself) do use a lot of smaller ports in the US such as Tampa where there are bridges which preclude larger ships.

The overriding message was that no announcement had been made about the six ships although elsewhere I did read  that Costa Victoria was likely to be one of them.

It all remains to be seen and with  CMV in acute financial trouble a lot of ships being sold/scrapped seems likely in the next few months. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, besberry said:

Apparently they've signed or are about to sign agreements.  So who knows?  After all an unknown Chinese line bought Oriana.

If this is true, sounds like the disposal is well on the way.

I am not personally convinced that all the other ships are totally safe though.  If they are going ahead with the purchase of new builds which are more cost effective to run and have more spending opportunities (which we all know is the Carnival Corporation model), will they really get the passengers to fill (to whatever capacity is allowed) other ships in the next few years.  Many people see the decline in travel (including flights) to last until 2022 or even 2023.  If get rid now there is a lot to save on the upkeep whilst ships doing nothing.

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Screenshot_20200618_171831_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Just to clarify this post, those ships listed were mentioned in an article / interview with Arnold Donald as possible options for fleet reduction due to their age not a list of ships that were due to be sold.  As of right now, only Carnival know what's on the chopping block and what isn't...

2 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

Without going on again, can you imagine how bad the refunds and future cruise credits values will get if all Oceana's remaining sailings were scrapped?😱

Presumably if Oceana(or any other P and O ships)were going to be sold very soon and an announcement made ,only deposits would need to be refunded in most cases as there are no sailings until mid October?

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

In the Carnival update it said most were going to scrap or being sold at a lower price to companies on the condition that they couldn't be used for cruises.

I wonder if they would be done up and used as floating hotels similar to Queen Mary in Longbeach, California?

• Like 1

I think Oceana's future looked bleak even before Coronavirus as that the effect she was built and designed for 7nt Carribean cruises and with Iona being built it was only a matter of time P&O reduced their fleet and think she would be the favourite to go.

43 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Presumably if Oceana(or any other P and O ships)were going to be sold very soon and an announcement made ,only deposits would need to be refunded in most cases as there are no sailings until mid October?

That's true of course, however from this week onwards, Oceana passengers (and other P&O passengers) will be needed to make final balance payment for the currently scheduled cruises, starting with TA bookings. 

Hopefully an early announcement (or preferably reassurances🤞) will limit the number of people with large balances requiring to be refunded.

The article mentions that the six ships are expected to be removed their respective fleets within the next 90 days in the first instance.  Let's hope that whatever is said is not three months from now.

That's true of course, however from this week onwards, Oceana passengers (and other P&O passengers) will be needed to make final balance payment for the currently scheduled cruises, starting with TA bookings. 

Hopefully an early announcement (or preferably reassurances[emoji1696]) will limit the number of people with large balances requiring to be refunded.

The article mentions that the six ships are expected to be removed their respective fleets within the next 90 days in the first instance.  Let's hope that whatever is said is not three months from now.
Oceana passengers have to make final payment mid July for the sailings after 16th October

10 minutes ago, drsel said:
12 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Hopefully an early announcement (or preferably reassurancesemoji1696.png) will limit the number of people with large balances requiring to be refunded.

Oceana passengers have to make final payment mid July for the sailings after 16th October

My understanding from previous experience was that Travel Agents can request funds up to 120 days in advance, even though P&O require the balance 90 days ahead of sailing.

Apologies if that has updated - hopefully if there is anything in the Oceana story passengers will know by mid July.

Edited by No pager thank you
Typo

58 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I wonder if they would be done up and used as floating hotels similar to Queen Mary in Longbeach, California?

I think one of the ships (think it was a Costa ship) has already had the sale agreed and will be used as a hotel. Think it said for shipyard workers or something like that. 

I think one of the ships (think it was a Costa ship) has already had the sale agreed and will be used as a hotel. Think it said for shipyard workers or something like that. 
That is Costa Victoria, being sold to an Italian shipyard by November 2020
  • Like 1

My understanding from previous experience was that Travel Agents can request funds up to 120 days in advance, even though P&O require the balance 90 days ahead of sailing.

Apologies if that has updated - hopefully if there is anything in the Oceana story passengers will know by mid July.
This is mere speculation about Oceana being sold.
the ship is beautiful and looks quite new and is in very good condition
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, drsel said:

Oceana looks nice from a distance but when we saw her up close at Newcastle recently she looked a little unloved.

Edited by grapau27

6 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

I believe the Oriana had sailings planned and booked before they sold her. So its unfortunatly still possible.

Yes and so did Adonia.  Everybody said they couldn't sell her because there were cruises planned.  We were due to do one of them and they sold her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drsel said:

We were on Oceana end of February beginning of March and she is very tired and in desperate need of updating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Oceana looks nice from a distance but when we saw her up close at Newcastle recently she looked a little unloved.

Up close and alongside any Celebrity ship all P&O ships look tired and unloved.😇

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

For once I agree with you. Compared to Arcadia she is in pristine condition.  Unfortunately the cabin configurations are dated, especially the size of the bathrooms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

To be honest Graham,  when you get a close up look at many ships of a certain age, you will always be able to spot areas of improvement. 

At least on our last voyage on her, there were no buckets in evidence, unlike Arcadia.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We were on Oceana end of February beginning of March and she is very tired and in desperate need of updating. 

Totally disagree.  We were on her mid February and thought she looked in good nick for her age. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes and so did Adonia.  Everybody said they couldn't sell her because there were cruises planned.  We were due to do one of them and they sold her.

We were also booked on her in 2016 for the TA and the trip down to the Amazon.  As was mentioned earlier we got a miserly £100 compo, but we managed to squeeze extra OBC on our next cruise 22 nights on Britannia. We were only given limited time to accept the offer or loose it. This was after her short lived Fathom experiment.