Hotel area by port of San Diego

jlocole

What area should I narrow my search to in San Diego for a pre-cruise night in a hotel within 15 - 25 min drive to Port?

Is it Marina? or Downtown? etc

I have a cruise booked for end of Feb (hopefully it sails!) and would like to find a room around $200 - 250 US. That's $300+ CDN to me!

I've read the San Diego port is similar to Ft Lau, as in the airport is very near the port.  Yay.

If you look down the board, there are MANY discussions on hotels in San Diego. There are 5 or 6 hotels within easy walking distance...2 almost directly across the street from the Port. Our favorite is the Embassy` Suites. The airport is about 2 miles away. Probably easier than Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks CruiserBruce.  I browsed the most recent  6 - 7 pages before asking my bothersome question, but then the posts were getting quite old (2018).

Google is my friend so I will keep searching.  Perhaps someone will let me know if I should be looking in the downtown area, airport area, or in the marina area.  So much water in San Diego so not sure if there is a more than one marina.

For our two day pre HAL cruise we stayed, as many others pre cruise at Best Western Bayside which is very near to the port. We were able to walk to all the sights we wanted to see and were happy with our choice. After redelivering our hire car at the airport we even walked back to the hotel, its all very close.

The hotel also offered a shuttle to the ship but we hadn’t pre booked this and there was a long wait so we even walked to the ship, it was all downhill and you need good wheels on your luggage. 
With 22 from our roll call we had a great pre cruise dinner at The fish restaurant on the harbor, made some friends for life.

Happy planning.

Rosalyn

p.s. regarding the walking I mentioned we are healthy sixty plus year olds

Edited by cruiseaholic78
  • Like 1

Although the airport isn't far away from downtown, I wouldn't stay around there.  If you stay near the terminal, you'll be within walking distance of restaurants and other things to do.  I happen to like the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy. and just walk over to the port.  I've also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites on Pacific Hwy., and there's also a Fairfield Inn.  You shouldn't have a problem finding a room in your price range, and may be able to get something closer to $180 US.

Dozens within walking distance to the port.  I wouldn't consider even looking 15-20 minutes away there's no reason.  We like the Gaslamp area.  I'm Hilton brand loyal so will usually do the Hilton Gaslamp or Hilton Bayside.  The Embassy Suites is a stone's throw from the pier, but not my first choice,  just seems to cookie cutter vs the Hilton Gaslamp.  If you want some place really unique try the El Cordova on Coronado Island, just get one of the large rooms.  It was the construction workers living quarters while building the Del Coronado.  Try for the Superintendent quarters vs the workers.    

Thanks all.

I booked BW Plus Bayside, bay view with a balcony, and breakfast.  $180 US 

Hope the pool area is nice.

It was between it and Wyndham SD Bayside, and the BW is rated a lot higher on Tripadvisor and was $20'ish less.

Hubby is on list for double hip replacement so we won't be walking to the pier!

• Like 2