16th August cruise- Refund

Hi all, I’m booked on the 16th August 14 night anthem of the seas cruise, the balance is due this week but I can’t see the cruise going ahead. At the moment in Wales we can’t travel further than 5 miles from our home so I doubt very much we will be going on the cruise. I’ve asked for a refund for the deposit however I’ve been told I’m only entitled to future cruise credit or to move the cruise to next year to one of the same length, although I doubt we we’ll be cruising next year as we are getting married next August and my partner is a teacher so a cruise would have to be school holiday time, they also don’t have any 14 days cruises in the school holidays. Any advice appreciated, thanks! 

17 minutes ago, RachelLH said:

Any advice appreciated, thanks! 

Welcome to CC.

Try to downgrade to cheapest cabin possible (so you have the least amount of money tied up), make final payment and when RCI cancels, ask for a refund. If you are not willing to do that, then cancel now and get an FCC.

• Like 3

Did you put your cruise deposit on your credit card.  If so, you might want to try to get your deposit back from the credit card.  Cruising will not be commencing in August.  Even the CEO of RCCL last week in print indicated that he did not know where the rumors of cruising resuming August 1st, 2020 came from.   

7 hours ago, pink845 said:

Did you put your cruise deposit on your credit card.  If so, you might want to try to get your deposit back from the credit card.  Cruising will not be commencing in August.  Even the CEO of RCCL last week in print indicated that he did not know where the rumors of cruising resuming August 1st, 2020 came from.   

Thanks yes we did we pay on a credit card. Is it only possible to get a full refund through RC by paying the full balance and then them cancelling? At the moment the cruise is still being advertised on the website even thought we don’t think it will be going. 

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Try to downgrade to cheapest cabin possible (so you have the least amount of money tied up), make final payment and when RCI cancels, ask for a refund. If you are not willing to do that, then cancel now and get an FCC.

Thanks for your reply. We don’t really want to pay a balance as we know it will take quite a while to get a full refund. I think I’ll try and do what someone suggested with the credit card refund however if that doesn’t work then we’ll have to get FCC. The cruise is still being advertised at the moment but it must be a matter of time until it’s cancelled 

Thanks yes we did we pay on a credit card. Is it only possible to get a full refund through RC by paying the full balance and then them cancelling? At the moment the cruise is still being advertised on the website even thought we don’t think it will be going. 

Some have reported that they were not charged the balance due on the final payment date as they expected and then a cancellation announcement came within the next week. That might be worth a risk if you want to then have the option of a refund. Otherwise a FCC is probably the best option.

Trying to make a claim for the return of your deposit from your credit card company is unlikely to be successful at this time as RCI have not yet announced the cancellation of your cruise.

Just to let you know, that Wales' First Minister Mark Drakeford announced this morning that the 5-mile stay-local guidance will likely be dropped with effect from 6th July.  So you will not be able to rely on that ruling to support any claim against your card provider.

1 hour ago, RachelLH said:

At the moment the cruise is still being advertised on the website even thought we don’t think it will be going. 

Right now RCL thinks it will be going and that is all that matters. They won't cancel until last possible minute because it is an influx of cash for them. They will wait until the after the final payment date. This way they have your deposit or have your fully paid cruise. Until they cancel, you need to follow what is in the contract or risk losing your deposit.

The real question is whether you will go on it or not if it sails? If the answer is no, see what you can get back as your deposit: FCC, refund, check credit card company. If the answer is yes, pay your balance due when it is and if it gets canceled you can then get a refund or FCC. Those are pretty much your options. 

Hi. We are 'sailing' on the cruise before you out of Southampton on the 2nd August. I actually missed final payment by 10 days but they still allowed me to pay with no mention of losing deposit. I paid up as I want to get cash (not vouchers) back and am fortunate that I can spare the cash for now (but only just). However, it might be worth the risk to see how long you can push it for. Hope all works well for you.

"Even the CEO of RCCL last week in print indicated that he did not know where the rumors of cruising resuming August 1st, 2020 came from." - Probably from his own website stating 1st August! 😆 Did he really say this?? wow

2 hours ago, RachelLH said:

Is it only possible to get a full refund through RC by paying the full balance and then them cancelling?

Yes, you can only get a full refund if you pay the balance and then RC cancels the cruise. So as others have said you can take the FCC for your nonrefundable deposit or pay the full balance - good suggestion to downgrade to cheapest cabin if any cheaper than your current price. You already indicated you didn't want to lift and shift to a cruise next year.

I don't see the credit card helping you as it's a nonrefundable deposit that you agreed to when you purchased and the cruise isn't cancelled so don't see them giving you a refund for you cancelling because you don't want to go or don't want to pay the balance per contract.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

20 hours ago, RachelLH said:

Hi all, I’m booked on the 16th August 14 night anthem of the seas cruise, the balance is due this week but I can’t see the cruise going ahead. At the moment in Wales we can’t travel further than 5 miles from our home so I doubt very much we will be going on the cruise. I’ve asked for a refund for the deposit however I’ve been told I’m only entitled to future cruise credit or to move the cruise to next year to one of the same length, although I doubt we we’ll be cruising next year as we are getting married next August and my partner is a teacher so a cruise would have to be school holiday time, they also don’t have any 14 days cruises in the school holidays. Any advice appreciated, thanks! 

Cruises canceled until September 15.