CCL Selling Some Ships

dreaminofcruisin

I read a different article covering the same conversation and he also mentioned scraping some ships.  I suspect there may not be much of a market in the future for used cruise ships.

There are a number of pre-2000 ships across the fleet that cost more to upkeep so it might be smart to let go of those. (Quoting myself..... topic being discussed on Carnival shares

Screenshot_20200618-194308_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3e201325a650b43c5f57e95ba489c0e3.jpg

Actually I was wrong. Princess has 4 pre-2000 ships (Sun, Sea, Grand, Pacific) but wonder if Sapphire is going to P&O Australia along with Golden & Star to retire all of their older ships. 

Edited by Ombud

The announcement said they were moving up the sale of previous planned ship divestitures.

So it is not as if suddenly CCL Corp decided to sell some ships.

The announcement also indicated that the sales are not finalized yet. I suspect that is why the ship names were not also announced.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

The announcement said they were moving up the sale of previous planned ship divestitures.

So it is not as if suddenly CCL Corp decided to sell some ships.

The announcement also indicated that the sales are not finalized yet. I suspect that is why the ship names were not also announced.

According to CCL Corp's June 18 press release "The company already has preliminary agreements for the disposal of 6 ships which are expected to leave the fleet in the next 90 days and is currently working toward additional agreements."

That quote makes me believe they are looking to divest themselves of more than the original 6 ships.  Time will tell.

Here is a list I made for a thread on the Carnival foru

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

As has been mentioned bafore on this thread, this is not just about Carnival Cruise Line, but about Carnival Corp.  So, let's look at the other lines in the family.  

Costa:  Victoria (1996) already sold?

neoRomantica - 1993

neoRiviera - 1999

AIDA:     AIDAcara, smallest and oldest @ 34,000, 1996

HAL:      Maasdam - 1993

Veendam - 1996

Rotterdam - 1996

Volendam & Zaandam - 1999

P&O-AUS:  Pacific Dawn - 1991 (to CMV)

Pacific Aria - 1994 (to CMV)

Pacific Explorer - 1997

Carnival Cruise Lines:   Fantasy - 1990

Ecstasy - 1991

Sensation - 1993

Fascination - 1994

Imagination - 1995

Inspiration - 1996

Destiny (Sunshine) 1996

Elation - 1998

Paradise - 1998

Triumph (Sunrise) - 1999

Victory - 2000

Princess:  Sun Princess - 1995 

Sea Princess - 1998

Pacific Princess - 1999

Edited by Essiesmom

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

My guess is the Pacific Princess. It just does not fit the Princess mold .

11 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

They have been trying to sell the Pacific for years.

Who knows, maybe the future of cruising will be with the smaller ships.  They can take PAX to a much larger variety of ports that the mega ships just cannot get in to.  There are a lot of cruisers who do not like the Royal Class, between the crowds, time it takes to board the ship, time to board tenders and the postage stamp sized balconies.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, dog said:

I was told by crew the Star Princess was being sold. Have not seen anything in writing. Anyone know?

It's been planned for a long time before the problems that Star will go to P&O sometime in the Fall of 2021.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

. . .  I suspect there may not be much of a market in the future for used cruise ships.

That may be true.  We started out our cruising on X and was surprised to see some of the ships we'd been on (think it was the X Mercury) were now owned by a German cruise line.  Saw it somewhere in Europe at the end of an EB TA on Princess.

Edited by BarbinMich

1 hour ago, mickrory said:

Who in their right mind is going to buy them?

From the article on Cruise Critic:

"Carnival Corporation would not comment on which six ships will exit from its cumulative nine cruise lines, or whether those would be sold or scrapped entirely. With the market for second-hand tonnage severely curtailed, it is increasingly likely that ships transferred out of active fleets will be sent to the breakers."

Sooo...sounds like some will be sold for scrap metal...  ☹️

16 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

In case you hadn't seen this.

I think it's across the Carnival Corp lines, so don't know if any Princess ships will be included.

Any guesses?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5400/

Cruising like the airlines will not be the same as will hotels and overall leisure/business travel.

Those with foresight are moving to put capacity and structure in place for the future likely capacity. 

Frankly with the biology of virus still not fully understood and the various political agendas, hard to predict when cruising will come back and how it looks with the so many different political agendas.  

I's say to shrink to 50% capacity would be prudent, this would be a baby step in that direction.   

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Who knows, maybe the future of cruising will be with the smaller ships.  They can take PAX to a much larger variety of ports that the mega ships just cannot get in to.  There are a lot of cruisers who do not like the Royal Class, between the crowds, time it takes to board the ship, time to board tenders and the postage stamp sized balconies.

Unfortunately, it may be a while until ports will allow ships to disembark passangers.