CCL Selling Some Ships

dreaminofcruisin

1 hour ago, dog said:

I was told by crew the Star Princess was being sold. Have not seen anything in writing. Anyone know?

It's been planned for a long time.  We have an Alaskan cruisetour booked for June 2021 on the Star (who knows at this point if that is even feasible).  When we booked last year I was somewhat hesitant since we knew at that time the Star was leaving the fleet in fall 2021 and I was a little concerned about the state of the ship at that time so close to being transferred.  I'm not really worried about mechanical upkeep, but rather tatty furnishings, carpet, etc and the kinds of things Princess wouldn't want to spend money on prior to transfer to P&O.

19 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

I's say to shrink to 50% capacity would be prudent, this would be a baby step in that direction. 

huh ! makes me wonder what the cost of admission would be.

10 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

It's been planned for a long time.  We have an Alaskan cruisetour booked for June 2021 on the Star (who knows at this point if that is even feasible).  When we booked last year I was somewhat hesitant since we knew at that time the Star was leaving the fleet in fall 2021 and I was a little concerned about the state of the ship at that time so close to being transferred.  I'm not really worried about mechanical upkeep, but rather tatty furnishings, carpet, etc and the kinds of things Princess wouldn't want to spend money on prior to transfer to P&O.

I'm booked for next March.

I really hope Grand Princess is not on the chopping block. It was the first ship we sailed on and I love it so much!  Also, I hope it's not Pacific Princess.  We have not been on Pacific Princess but we have been on Azamara Journey which is the same "R" class ship.  We loved the size of the ship and the places you can go with a smaller ship.  I have been looking at Pacific Princess itineraries for 2021.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Here is a list I made for a thread on the Carnival foru

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

As has been mentioned bafore on this thread, this is not just about Carnival Cruise Line, but about Carnival Corp.  So, let's look at the other lines in the family.  

Costa:  Victoria (1996) already sold?

neoRomantica - 1993

neoRiviera - 1999

AIDA:     AIDAcara, smallest and oldest @ 34,000, 1996

HAL:      Maasdam - 1993

Veendam - 1996

Rotterdam - 1996

Volendam & Zaandam - 1999

P&O-AUS:  Pacific Dawn - 1991 (to CMV)

Pacific Aria - 1994 (to CMV)

Pacific Explorer - 1997

Carnival Cruise Lines:   Fantasy - 1990

Ecstasy - 1991

Sensation - 1993

Fascination - 1994

Imagination - 1995

Inspiration - 1996

Destiny (Sunshine) 1996

Elation - 1998

Paradise - 1998

Triumph (Sunrise) - 1999

Victory - 2000

Princess:  Sun Princess - 1995 

Sea Princess - 1998

Pacific Princess - 1999

Add: Cunard just sold off 1. Not transferring to another CCL subsidiary. So that's 4: but more should go if it's just about the bottom line. 

2 hours ago, dog said:

I was told by crew the Star Princess was being sold. Have not seen anything in writing. Anyone know?

Star and Golden were not technically sold. They are transferred to P&O Australia to replace Dawn & Aria. I think it's telling that the Grand did not go as its pre-2000. Scrap metal?

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Who knows, maybe the future of cruising will be with the smaller ships.  They can take PAX to a much larger variety of ports that the mega ships just cannot get in to.  

Agreed

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mickrory said:

Who in their right mind is going to buy them?

If the price is in the right range there is a certain city state that might be interested as it is desperately looking for single room accommodation for those currently housed in open room dormitories.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, brisalta said:

If the price is in the right range there is a certain city state that might be interested as it is desperately looking for single room accommodation for those currently housed in open room dormitories.

NYC used a couple of Staten Island Ferries as jails to relieve overcrowding in the 1980's & '90s.  Today, the city operates a barge holding 800 prisoners.  There could be a market.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I'm not really worried about mechanical upkeep, but rather tatty furnishings, carpet, etc and the kinds of things Princess wouldn't want to spend money on prior to transfer to P&O.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that.  When HAL transferred the Statendam to P&O Australia, I sailed on that Seattle to Singapore cruise.  The ship was in excellent condition, enough so that many of us HAL veterans wondered then--and still do--why her and not Veendam.  Incidentally, that was a great voyage!  HAL pulled out "all the stops"; we had the HAL experience that originally drew many of us to HAL.

21 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about that.  When HAL transferred the Statendam to P&O Australia, I sailed on that Seattle to Singapore cruise.  The ship was in excellent condition, enough so that many of us HAL veterans wondered then--and still do--why her and not Veendam.  Incidentally, that was a great voyage!  HAL pulled out "all the stops"; we had the HAL experience that originally drew many of us to HAL.

That's good to hear. However, if anything I am more concerned now than when we booked given the cash crunch the entire corporation is under. They may not even be a viable company with the same fleet by next year. Time will tell. 

6 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

I really hope Grand Princess is not on the chopping block. It was the first ship we sailed on and I love it so much!  Also, I hope it's not Pacific Princess.  We have not been on Pacific Princess but we have been on Azamara Journey which is the same "R" class ship.  We loved the size of the ship and the places you can go with a smaller ship.  I have been looking at Pacific Princess itineraries for 2021.  

I'd assume if they reduce the fleet, the biggest opportunity will be in the Grand-class ships. Grand as the oldest would make it a target. From reading some of the other notes, some people think it will just be the oldest ships but I'm hoping Princess has more sense than that and knows that long-term, there are markets that will require smaller ships even though they might be older. They need to keep something Panamax or smaller to go through the old Panama Canal locks - I personally would put Coral Princess at the top of the list of smaller ships to retain.

I can't see Sun Princess and Sea Princess being retained unless there's something about the Australian market that makes it worth doing so. If I had to pick four Grand-class ships to drop, it would be Grand, Caribbean, Diamond, and Sapphire (plus Star Princess whose exit is already planned). Grand and Caribbean because they're the oldest and Diamond and Sapphire because they're the only ships in the Grand or bigger part of the fleet not built at Fincantieri which means they probably have less in common with the rest of the fleet.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

I'd assume if they reduce the fleet, the biggest opportunity will be in the Grand-class ships. Grand as the oldest would make it a target. From reading some of the other notes, some people think it will just be the oldest ships but I'm hoping Princess has more sense than that and knows that long-term, there are markets that will require smaller ships even though they might be older. They need to keep something Panamax or smaller to go through the old Panama Canal locks - I personally would put Coral Princess at the top of the list of smaller ships to retain.

I can't see Sun Princess and Sea Princess being retained unless there's something about the Australian market that makes it worth doing so. If I had to pick four Grand-class ships to drop, it would be Grand, Caribbean, Diamond, and Sapphire (plus Star Princess whose exit is already planned). Grand and Caribbean because they're the oldest and Diamond and Sapphire because they're the only ships in the Grand or bigger part of the fleet not built at Fincantieri which means they probably have less in common with the rest of the fleet.

The Diamond and the Sapphire were redone for the Asian market. They are really nice ships with Promenade deck that goes completely around. Just because they weren't built in Fincantieri, doesn't make them less desirable. In fact they are very similar deck plans to other Princess ships  . When Sapphire was on the West coast, was our favorite ship. Those were built in Japan.The Grand was redone several years ago but must agree it is showing age. The Caribbean Princess was redone a couple of years ago and looks modern.The new carpets and furnishings in common areas gave the ship a more modern look. Can't go by age of ship to think it must go. You have to have been on board and experience the ships.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

I personally would put Coral Princess at the top of the list of smaller ships to retain.

I can't see Sun Princess and Sea Princess being retained unless there's something about the Australian market that makes it worth doing so.

The Coral Princess has recently been spotted on the Melbourne Port guide (21st of OCT 2021) so there is speculation that in 2021/2022  it will be cruising down here in Australia. Hopefully this means that this ship will not be one of the ones to be sold.

Australians love cruising and with a population of only 25 million the smaller ships are easier to fill especially in our winter season where one one these ships will do a longer return cruise from Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland to get Australian's and New Zealander's out of the cold. So they may keep one of these ships for that reason but who knows these are strange times and these ships may be more expensive to maintain given their age.

18 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

The Diamond and the Sapphire were redone for the Asian market. They are really nice ships with Promenade deck that goes completely around. Just because they weren't built in Fincantieri, doesn't make them less desirable. In fact they are very similar deck plans to other Princess ships  . When Sapphire was on the West coast, was our favorite ship. Those were built in Japan.The Grand was redone several years ago but must agree it is showing age. The Caribbean Princess was redone a couple of years ago and looks modern.The new carpets and furnishings in common areas gave the ship a more modern look. Can't go by age of ship to think it must go. You have to have been on board and experience the ships.

I completely agree with you. I have sailed the Sapphire Princess more than any other ship and was on the ship 2 years ago. It looked brand new. I think Mitsubishi makes better ships than Fincantieri. I thought this when they were built compared to the other Grand class ships. I would take either Sapphire or Diamond over Crown, Ruby or Emerald.

If I was CCL, I would get rid of all the Fantasy class ships in Carnival. Those have to be the least desirable ships.

• Like 3

Golden and Star were already planned to go to P&O Australia, so they would not be part of this announcement or any future ones.  However Star could be laid up in cold storage until they are ready to transfer her to P&O Australia and not return to service with Princess. 

If Carnival corp were to divest any additional ships in the Princess fleet I think there are 4 candidates - Pacific, Sun, Sea and Grand.  Pacific, Sun and Sea would most likely be sold to 3rd parties (non Carnival Corp) or scrapped.  Grand would most likely be transferred either to P&O UK or P&O Australia and remain in cold storage until that happens.

The announcement was for 6 ships across all their brands, with additional vessels being possible.  

2 hours ago, lstone19 said:

If I had to pick four Grand-class ships to drop, it would be Grand, Caribbean, Diamond, and Sapphire (plus Star Princess whose exit is already planned). Grand and Caribbean because they're the oldest and Diamond and Sapphire because they're the only ships in the Grand or bigger part of the fleet not built at Fincantieri which means they probably have less in common with the rest of the fleet.

Diamond (2004) was revamped for the Asian (primarily Japanese) market so I see that staying as only 2 are geared that way (Majestic 2017 is the other) and is newer than Sun (1995), Sea (1998), Grand (1998), Coral (2002), Island (2003), and smaller Pacific (1999). But I guess it's up to whichever one the buyer wants. They can always remodel another for Japan

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

I was on the Grand September 2019 and she had been refurbished earlier in the year and was in great shape.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 7:59 PM, Thrak said:

I heard a rumor that Tony (Lucky TGO) might buy Pacific Princess as a minor upgrade to his rowboat...

Hi Thrak,

How did you find out? 😳 No one was supposed to know until after the sale. 😡

54434CF2-D813-471B-A52D-66A4E7655474.jpeg

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2020 at 7:59 PM, Thrak said:

I heard a rumor that Tony (Lucky TGO) might buy Pacific Princess as a minor upgrade to his rowboat...

Hi Thrak,

How did you find out? 😳 No one was supposed to know until after sale. 😡

• Like 1

I think it will interesting... will mega cruise ship go the same way as the A380.......

I agreed big ships could be harder to fill.....

but it is a matter of all the cruiser putting their money where their mouth is...... will it happen ??

Or will Cruising become less of a main stream holiday......

Hopefully they will leave a different size ships in the Princess fleet..

most of them seam to be in the Philippines  at the moment...

Cheers Don       just waiting and watching

• Like 2

10 hours ago, brisalta said:

I was on the Grand September 2019 and she had been refurbished earlier in the year and was in great shape.

Glad to hear that. When the Grand had the big refurbish (took off skywalkers, re did Atrium. etc) we were on the first sailing.

Since then we have been on it four times but the last time was two years ago and looked a bit tired. Glad that she looks good after the 2019 refurbish. When all this is over we will have to sail on her again. Thanks for telling me, hope she stays in the fleet.

Edited by san diego sue

Don, IMHO it's also which ships turn the greatest profit (onboard spending, operating / upkeep cost).  That's why I thought the oldest would go. But I personally would like them to keep a smaller one for certain ports. Those mega ships can't get everwhere

We should know in 90 days .... still trying to figure out what those other 2 are