Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Petoonya

Kicked off 5/24/21 Tahiti- it's chartered!

Recommended Posts

Still shaking a bit I'm so unhappy with Windstar. They can't even guarantee that I'll get another 17 or 18 day cruise for 48 hours! It'll be an OK deal if it works out but I'm really worried.

Hope I'm writing again soon with better news.

I had ALL independent excursions booked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've taken deep breaths and feeling better.

They got me on 4/29/21 (it's still not absolutely confirmed) 18 day with some FCC.

Everything is staying the same otherwise. I won't feel confident that we're all set until I get the financial statement from them.

Didn't sound quite right when I spoke with them. Travel agent perks will be much less.

I had ALL my independent excursions booked for 5/24/21. I'm on vacation at the moment so really can't invest time in changing everything until I am confirmed and get home.

 

Sorry to sound so negative. There are a lot of other disappointed people and certainly a a lot worse things going on in our world than cruises. Again sorry to freak out.

 

The beautiful thing is once this gets confirmed I'll get to sail with my buddies Barrycat, Zukini and Luv2travel4fun maybe!!

Win, win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain!  We were able to rebook on the 5/31 Cruise but will miss sharing excursions with y’all. I will have to look over all your information again and see if I can book some things on my own. Thanks for all the hard work you put into everything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Petoonya.  I would be beyond disappointed to have my cruise cancelled like this.  I sincerely hope the new dates works out for you and that you have an exceptional experience on your cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this affected your Travel Agent's entire group on this sailing?  That seems to crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Petoonya.  I would be beyond disappointed to have my cruise cancelled like this.  I sincerely hope the new dates works out for you and that you have an exceptional experience on your cruise.

 

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So this affected your Travel Agent's entire group on this sailing?  That seems to crazy!

Thanks to both of you for your caring. I'm hoping like heck to get confirmed on a new date but feeling good about getting 4/29. Dh sweetly brought out a nice bottle of champagne to celebrate whenever it will be. So I'm feeling quite merry tonight.

 

Host J...I've not heard from my TA. So far just dealing with WS and her communiques today have been very brief. It'll be interesting to hear if she has some background info as to what went on/ I don't know how I could have received an upgrade two weeks ago when the ship was chartered. If I get the date I want all I have to do is rebook all the independent excursions which will be a pain, but who hasn't been through some cruise pain this year!

 

Thanks again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know what group chartered the ship for such a long cruise? Usually group charters are for shorter 7 day cruises. Since Windstar had to know they had this group booking in the works, why were they selling this cruise to the public?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Nancy, Oh no! That is frustrating but glad they were able to get you on to another sailing with the prospects of meeting some folks here from the forum.




Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it all blows up - shadow us!   Windstar - 7 days in that great AirBnB on Moorea, then Oceania!  (although I noticed this am, the Oceania is almost entirely sold out - so cabins left are expensive!   I'm trying to get United to commit - that if our flight has to be cancelled, I don't want a voucher!  That's too much money.  I told them I'd book right now, if they'd refund cash if Tahiti closes down.  Waiting to hear back . . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jaxbandit said:

I feel your pain!  We were able to rebook on the 5/31 Cruise but will miss sharing excursions with y’all. I will have to look over all your information again and see if I can book some things on my own. Thanks for all the hard work you put into everything!

Petoonya,

I am so sorry to hear that. I feel for you with so much work you have put into your excursions, I was just reading through your post full of great info. I’m a planner too- I hope everything works out for you. 
 

jaxbandit - My husband and I just booked today for 5/31 10day. Maybe we could book some excisions together based on Petoonya’s recommendations?  I so mentally need to have something to look forward to.

stephanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, susiesan said:

Do you know what group chartered the ship for such a long cruise? Usually group charters are for shorter 7 day cruises. Since Windstar had to know they had this group booking in the works, why were they selling this cruise to the public?

No- don't know who it was Susie. Could have also been a 7 or 10 day within our cruise. I'm not so sure how they gave me a cabin and an upgrade.

8 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

Hey Nancy, Oh no! That is frustrating but glad they were able to get you on to another sailing with the prospects of meeting some folks here from the forum.
Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Deb. Yes, it'll work out fine. We considered August but husband will freak out if he had to wait past May 2021. have to keep reminding him that nothing is certain with COVID.

3 hours ago, crilski said:

If it all blows up - shadow us!   Windstar - 7 days in that great AirBnB on Moorea, then Oceania!  (although I noticed this am, the Oceania is almost entirely sold out - so cabins left are expensive!   I'm trying to get United to commit - that if our flight has to be cancelled, I don't want a voucher!  That's too much money.  I told them I'd book right now, if they'd refund cash if Tahiti closes down.  Waiting to hear back . . . .

Oh, thanks for your thoughtfulness! We are now so set on spending all our time in Tahiti that don't think we can back off even though I'm still holding a res on O. It would be wonderful to cruise with you.

2 hours ago, baloothecat said:

Petoonya,

I am so sorry to hear that. I feel for you with so much work you have put into your excursions, I was just reading through your post full of great info. I’m a planner too- I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks Baloo. 17 days of excursions was a lot of work and I'm actually a little embarrassed to cancel and rebook! Felt so fortunate too that I had a wonderful couple to share the two private tours with and now have to start all over again. But I do have fun planning to it'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nancy, sorry to hear about this. I know how much you looking forward to this trip. Please keep us post on the outcome.  Hope you can get a cruise on a date that work out for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Nancy, does this charter take in your dates?  May 17-24

https://santanaadventures.com/tahiti-2021/

Interesting Susie.

But no, ours was 5/24-6/10. My TA didn't know what this group was- any ideas how I would find out out of curiosity? The last time we did a 17 day, an Indian wedding had chartered the boat for a 10 day immediately after. Wonder if it's a wedding too? Might explain needing to add on guests. Some deep pockets for one daddy and mommy to charter the boat for a wedding.

Edited by Petoonya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Interesting Susie.

But no, ours was 5/24-6/10. My TA didn't know what this group was- any ideas how I would find out out of curiosity? The last time we did a 17 day, an Indian wedding had chartered the boat for a 10 day immediately after. Wonder if it's a wedding too? Might explain needing to add on guests. Some deep pockets for one daddy and mommy to charter the boat for a wedding.

 

I was thinking that you may actually be better off (being forced to move the date of your sailing).  Being on a small ship with a large group (whether wedding or any other group where they all know each other and only want to pal around with each other) would be very different from your usual Windstar experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, look at how much they are charging. And look at how much extra is being added on. This does not include airfare.

 

Due to Santana’s long history with WindStar, our per-person first-in pricing for this 8-day Event in Tahiti starts at $4,699

 

Shipboard gratuities are $144 per person. Santana’s cruise hosts don’t accept tips. Santana’s comprehensive “cruise extras” fee of $500 per person includes cycling-specific extras and support on seven islands, Le Ronde Tahitienne registration, custom pro team jersey, and special finisher’s award. Port Fees and taxes $268 (includes $108 extra night in Pape’ete port fees and habitation tax). Fuel surcharges (typically $0) can be imposed after a substantial increase of market prices. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

I was thinking that you may actually be better off (being forced to move the date of your sailing).  Being on a small ship with a large group (whether wedding or any other group where they all know each other and only want to pal around with each other) would be very different from your usual Windstar experience.

So true Host J. It would have been not so comfortable, and now much better cruising with a few nice people I've already met here on CC. After booking the original 5/24 that ended up being chartered I found two friends here who were on 4/29.

Might have changed then but didn't want to put my TA through the trouble.

Now it's all worked out fine and the way it was supposed to be 🙂

Thanks for your good thoughts.

 

 

Edited by Petoonya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, susiesan said:

Wow, look at how much they are charging. And look at how much extra is being added on. This does not include airfare.

 

Due to Santana’s long history with WindStar, our per-person first-in pricing for this 8-day Event in Tahiti starts at $4,699

 

Shipboard gratuities are $144 per person. Santana’s cruise hosts don’t accept tips. Santana’s comprehensive “cruise extras” fee of $500 per person includes cycling-specific extras and support on seven islands, Le Ronde Tahitienne registration, custom pro team jersey, and special finisher’s award. Port Fees and taxes $268 (includes $108 extra night in Pape’ete port fees and habitation tax). Fuel surcharges (typically $0) can be imposed after a substantial increase of market prices. 

 

 

That's just crazy Susie with what we all were able to secure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Organizers of group charters get a free cruise and make a ton of money off of their group cruise. Their friends don't realize how badly they are overpaying for their cruise. I would never ever go on a group cruise for a group I am a member of. I frequently tell friends who ask me about them not to do it unless they are happy paying double the price than if they book the cruise themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This charter is adding a lot of extra value in the bike excursions.  If you compare a Backroads cruise to booking directly, they charge a lot more – but they include all shore excursions plus other extras.  Those specially tailored excursions (hiking or biking) can't be gotten any other way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There must also be a charter on the Wind Surf on October 8, 2020.  There is a gap in itinerary dates.  Wish I know who they are.  We board on the 15th and would love to know who is on before us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This charter is adding a lot of extra value in the bike excursions.  If you compare a Backroads cruise to booking directly, they charge a lot more – but they include all shore excursions plus other extras.  Those specially tailored excursions (hiking or biking) can't be gotten any other way.

There is an extra charge of $500 for the bike excursions. That doesn't add anything to the cruise itself. What about the spouses of the cyclists who just want to go on the cruise but don't cycle? They are being massively gouged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

There must also be a charter on the Wind Surf on October 8, 2020.  There is a gap in itinerary dates.  Wish I know who they are.  We board on the 15th and would love to know who is on before us.

 

I found out who will be on your cruise right before you It's a gay cruise.

 

https://www.purplelightvacations.com/package/2020-all-gay-dreams-of-tahiti-cruisesource-events/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had three cruises booked with them in the past 12 months and they've all been cancelled for one reason or another.  I'm really not even sure that I want to attempt to book another cruise.  I'm out what I paid for the travel insurance, as they won't move it for a 4th time, and the last time I spoke with them, they are looking for a significant amount above the $1200 or so of my cash they are already holding to book another cruise.  I'm pretty much thinking that I'm not really wanting to give them another penny until they get their act together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...