Locals or those that stay here on vacation...help

mitsugirly

Yes you are right MN, that would indeed be a big concern anywhere. I was just surprised to see this topic become such a discussion here. I recall seeing it discussed on TA some time ago but haven’t seen a lot since. Perhaps I’m just behind times...

yes Mitsugirly look at the locations and quality between the condos listed on Airbnb and VRBO too. Not that Airbnb is inferior, just a different option. Condos at SBRM will be pricier than those at the Village, or further away from the beach. In Mexico. Remember you can also rent directly some owners too...You will find the owner I sent you is much less in the Village, for example. 

Now that you are using TA you will get excellent feedback there too!

I'm really wanting on the beach at SBRM instead of the village. I have found a few options that interest me (one on VRBO and the other on airbnb).  I will have to stay in 2 different places when there because they are not many open for the entire duration that we plan on staying. But that's ok. 

Anyone ever used STT Direct for grocery shopping? We have things similar here and use them all the time to grocery shop and have the food delivered. So convenient. We also use Door Dash for dinner a lot as well. Does St Thomas have anything like that yet?

19 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I'm really wanting on the beach at SBRM instead of the village. I have found a few options that interest me (one on VRBO and the other on airbnb).  I will have to stay in 2 different places when there because they are not many open for the entire duration that we plan on staying. But that's ok. 

Have you asked on TA for SBRM owner contact recommendations yet? That is a good source. I never have had to sift through all the options on VRBO because we were fortunate to have a few owners recommended to contact directly (cheaper as well). 

If you haven’t, take a moment to ask for recs there, some may also send you their info via messages...Always good to have feedback from others who were looking for the same accommodation...I will just look for any further questions from you there since this thread is getting long and it is a cruise forum after all...

note - the “In Mexico” in post #26 was the start of a comparison between typical Airbnb and other sites that I meant to delete. 🤤

Edited by blue_water
Typos!

On 6/20/2020 at 11:04 PM, mitsugirly said:

So thinking of more questions...

Where's a good place to rent a car?

Blue, do you usually take any groceries with you to ST? I learned my lesson after my first land vacation to Aruba...take non-perishables with you in a suitcase to save $$

What are some good excursions to do when there? We LOVE the beach, so will be beach hopping most days, but would love other things to do as well to break up the beach days. Is there a zoo? Caves? Parasailing? Dune Buggies? Give me some ideas please. 

Also, what airlines is the cheapest and best to use to get there from the states? We ALWAYS travel with Southwest because we have tons and tons of points and fly free, but SW doesn't fly there. So, looking at other alternatives. I've never been on another airline and know they work differently. 

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along and I really appreciate everyone's knowledge and thoughts. 

OH>>>> do they still have the Sapphire Beach webcam? I used to watch that all the time and dream. 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJDrwUY4EzU&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3Xw3kshn1_AOz9hwDzCA2r4QAz0OELuwgpKnPyBO-CiO8LmMG0z_10B7k

Thats the Sapphire beach webcam on Youtube. I watch it all the time. We have been going to Sapphire beach now for 3 years and love it there. Try to get a condo in building A, B or C. The other buildings are far from the swimming area and the coffee bar which they added last year. we always stay in Building A and rent from VRBO. Check out Kathis Condo rentals on facebook and if hers isnt available she can help you find one. We have fun driving on the left. Its crazy and not easy to get used too so I let my husband drive..lol. Food you can pick up nearby at Moes Market. Just realize its at least twice the cost of the states as everything has to be shipped in. Sapphire marina rents jetskiis or daysailing. The east end is the best place to rent because its near all the best beaches and Red Hook with lots of great restaurants. Be sure to catch Lobster Wednesdays ta Duffys Love Shack. Also the ferry dock is in Red Hook to take a day trip to St John which is NOT to be missed. We are booked for the week of Nov 14th and cannot wait. 

On 7/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, karen&roy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJDrwUY4EzU&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3Xw3kshn1_AOz9hwDzCA2r4QAz0OELuwgpKnPyBO-CiO8LmMG0z_10B7k

Thats the Sapphire beach webcam on Youtube. I watch it all the time. We have been going to Sapphire beach now for 3 years and love it there. Try to get a condo in building A, B or C. The other buildings are far from the swimming area and the coffee bar which they added last year. we always stay in Building A and rent from VRBO. Check out Kathis Condo rentals on facebook and if hers isnt available she can help you find one. We have fun driving on the left. Its crazy and not easy to get used too so I let my husband drive..lol. Food you can pick up nearby at Moes Market. Just realize its at least twice the cost of the states as everything has to be shipped in. Sapphire marina rents jetskiis or daysailing. The east end is the best place to rent because its near all the best beaches and Red Hook with lots of great restaurants. Be sure to catch Lobster Wednesdays ta Duffys Love Shack. Also the ferry dock is in Red Hook to take a day trip to St John which is NOT to be missed. We are booked for the week of Nov 14th and cannot wait. 

I've been watching that cam for the last 10 years and I just love it. But, I remember it going offline for an extended period of time and then I quit watching. So relaxing. 

I have found a (well 2 actually) condo's that we are in the process of renting from the owner. My daughter and her family are going too so we're taking both of the condo's this person has. She has one in building A and one in building D. 

I'm super nervous about trying to drive on the left. I hope I get used to it. 

I most definitely want to go over to St Johns. I assume it's best to take the barge over so that we can have a car to explore on our own? Which beaches are best to see when going over there?

Some rental agencies allow taking the vehicle to STJ, just look at that when comparing agencies. We’ve always used Budget at the airport with great results. There was an office at Sapphire but no longer...

This is a different webcam, if you go to the sapphireinthesun.com site the drone video is still active.

I had mentioned Hawksnest and Soloman for less crowds, Trunk for amenities with more ppl,  Maho for snorkeling...

Great to know Bill, thanks!

2 hours ago, beautifulbill said:

There is a car rental agency right at Sapphire that allows their cars to go to St. John. It is All Around Cars and is to the right of the guard shack. 

On 7/3/2020 at 7:04 PM, beautifulbill said:

There is a car rental agency right at Sapphire that allows their cars to go to St. John. It is All Around Cars and is to the right of the guard shack. 

Do you by any chance know if they do airport pick up? We are planning on staying at sapphire and it would be nice to rent from there if they can pick us up and drop us off at the airport. If not, what does a taxi cost from the airport to sapphire?

They do not pick up or drop off at the airport. The taxi rates are on the VI Now web site. They do charge $2/ suitcase too. I’d figure around $30 or $35 for two. Taxi’s charge per person so more if you have additional passengers. I am hoping you rented directly from an owner so you know what unit you will be staying in. 

Yes the rate for 1 person is $18, for 2 or more it is $11/pp.

It’s been awhile since we have taxied to the Tortola ferry so I don’t remember bag fees, but the stated fee for luggage confuses me -

Luggage: A flat rate of $2 per bag shall be added to the fare for each passenger.”

That sounds like for one bag each passenger is charged $2 ($6 total for 3 passengers and 1 bag!). I assume it simply means there is a $2 fee/bag...

For stops, the first 5 min is free then $1/minute after, and fares increase $2/pp between midnight and 6AM.

On 7/5/2020 at 10:16 AM, blue_water said:

If they do not pick up at the airport the posted rate on vinow dot com is $11/pp...

Ok thank you. 

On 7/5/2020 at 2:17 PM, beautifulbill said:

They do not pick up or drop off at the airport. The taxi rates are on the VI Now web site. They do charge $2/ suitcase too. I’d figure around $30 or $35 for two. Taxi’s charge per person so more if you have additional passengers. I am hoping you rented directly from an owner so you know what unit you will be staying in. 

We have 8 people. Hopefully we'll be able to find a van to take us all, if not, we'll have to get several I assume. 

Yes, we rented 2 condo's directly from the owner. 

So $88 for your group...+ bags...

There will be safari taxis that can accommodate your group...There should be a taxi coordinator outside the terminal...

If you check the VINow dot com site (St Thomas —>  Transportation) you will also see private safari taxis but the fare will be closer to ~$150 for 8 ppl...

Edited by blue_water

It’s the dollar bus. It’s actually a flat bed truck with benches. 
it’s far from ideal for a tourist but some people use it. There is no schedule and if they are full they won’t stop for you. They only go one way and run only in the daylight. There may be a map somewhere but they just go on the major roads and not near many of the beaches or tourist destinations without some long walks on narrow dangerous roads   The charge $1 or $2 depending on how far you go. You have to stand on the left side of the road in the heat and rain showers. 
For example from Sapphire to nearby Red Hook you would need to walk up a very steep hill and stand on the side of the road. To come back you would have to circle the island back to Sapphire. 
  My recommendation for your group of 8 would be to rent 2 cars. 

Thanks for the info on the dollar bus. Doesn't sound like a great way to get around to the beaches. 

We were able to secure a van for us all (thank goodness).  So, now we don't have to worry about transportation. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Kim, I hope you and family are having a great time in St Thomas! I am really looking forward to your review. Please do post something when you get back.

I most definitely will and thanks!!

• Like 1

This is a great thread. Appreciate the info.

Can anyone confirm that each and every visitor from mainland USA is required to get a COVID test to enter? I am especially asking about those from NJ/NY/CT area, which are not hot spots anymore. Thanks.

On 7/22/2020 at 4:13 AM, bontx33 said:

Hi Kim,

How is your foot doing as I have been following you when you had your accident. 

Thanks Bonnie 

Not good. I still have a lot of swelling and pain and can’t walk long distances or “normal”. I’m unable to bend my foot when walking ahead. Ortho doctor (new one) said xrays, mri and ct scan show a fracture in the back not healed and a non union fracture and some misaligned healed fractures. They said in order to correct it with surgery at this point is not worth the risk and outcome is not guaranteed. He said I will have to wait a few years and have a total ankle replacement but I’m too young right now for it. I had also tore my syndesmotic ligament and it didn’t heal right and shows a widening in the area, which means my tibia and fibula are pulling apart. I figure this is what probably caused the misalignment And is causing the pain. 

He said I will continue to have swelling and pain until this is done. It’s been over 11 months now. 😢

20 hours ago, Arzeena said:

This is a great thread. Appreciate the info.

Can anyone confirm that each and every visitor from mainland USA is required to get a COVID test to enter? I am especially asking about those from NJ/NY/CT area, which are not hot spots anymore. Thanks.

Only if you actually live in a hot spot (over the 10% rate and they change daily) then you are required to get a negative covid swab test or a positive antibodies test within a certain time frame of coming (I think it might be 72 hrs prior to arrival unless that has changed too)

People were concerned about Florida layovers (since Florida is on the list) but layovers and connecting flights do not matter UNLESS you are in that state for over 7 days. They only go by your home state of residence.

When we arrived absolutely no one asked us where we were from to determine if we needed to provide the test, which I thought was weird. We got off the plane outside, stood in line, came up to an army guy who ask us the normal questions all doctors offices have been asking (have you been around anyone with covid in the last 14 days, have you had any of the following symptoms and so on) and then took our temps and we went eres the building to retrieve or luggage. 

• Thanks 1