Ship Time or Local Carnival Miracle in Nov?

katybugg

I am planning on doing at least a couple of private tours while on this cruise. Carnival Miracle Nov 28, 2020. But due to the time difference between ship and local, Im just wondering if anyone know if they will be on ship or local time? Thanks in advance. I did try to find the answer first. I might have missed it and if so.....Sorry! 

Also any info on Road to Hana Tour would be appreciated.

Half or Full trip. 

And the best luah in Maui or Honolulu.

2 hours ago, katybugg said:

But due to the time difference between ship and local, Im just wondering if anyone know if they will be on ship or local time?

Generally the captain will adjust ship's time to match local time. Exceptions are when a ship is darting in one day and out the next day out of a time zone. Given this isn't the case in Hawaii usually, I have to imagine they will be set to match each other. In case its not I have to imagine the local provider has run into this before and will adjust themselves to your arrival. 

Half or Full trip. 

If the RtH is a big item for you, you might as well go all the way around. The backside I think is just as interesting as the road in from Paia that most go on and then turn around and go back through. The section beyond Hana takes you through a lot more volcanic parts of Maui and without all the natural growth you can see amazing vistas down to the sea. Keep in mind that either half or all the way around will take up the majority of a day.                                                                                                             

Personally I much prefer to rent a car and do it ourselves-- windy roads don't seem too much fun in a minibus. If you were doing this on a day that you sail that afternoon/evening though I would definitely take the ships tour as you would be one flat tire away from missing the ship even if it happened earlier in the day. We have never been to Hawaii on a cruise, only flying in and staying, so have never had to conform to a tighter schedule the bunch of times we have driven the Hana Road, but give yourself plenty of time if you do it on your own.

And the best luah in Maui or Honolulu.

You'll get a bunch of opinions about Luaus (and who knows if they even will allow gatherings like Luaus in November!). On Maui my personal favorite is Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt on Kaanapali. Its more Polynesian than Hawaiian but it has fire and all the things people get excited about. Kaanapali is a beautiful beach to walk along with plenty of places to stop for a drink or bite to eat.

The food at the Luaus in general, while plentiful, it's usually just very, very ok buffet stuff. Drums of the Pacific has some of the better Luau food I've had but its still not as good as going out to dinner somewhere close by. Highly recommend Lahaina Grill for dinner if you want a standout meal on Maui. 

Edited by princeton123211

As this is a Carnival policy issue, I would be asking on the Carnival board. Most cruise lines do change to match local time, but Carnival can be the notable exception. It will be a two hour time difference between the West Coast and Hawaii...that seems to be silly to not change to local time.

There are many threads here on luaus on Maui. Many feel the best two in Hawaii are in Lahaina. However, I am pretty sure Carnival docks in Kahalui, 45+ minutes from Lahaina. That complicates things considerably.

5 hours ago, katybugg said:

Half or Full trip. 

Remember that your ship is said to arrive at Maui at 10 a.m. and sail at 11 p.m.  While that seems a lot of time, do know sunset here in December is before 6 p.m. - and you will be driving/riding in the dark after that.  In our opinion, no matter how far you go on the road to Hana, it is something best and most safely done during daylight hours.

2 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Absolutely it will be local time.

That is not necessarily true- doesn't happen all the time. High likelihood, sure. But not absolute. It's at the discretion of the captain and Carnival for some reason doesn't universally adopt local time as ship's time. 

4 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

That is not necessarily true- doesn't happen all the time. High likelihood, sure. But not absolute. It's at the discretion of the captain and Carnival for some reason doesn't universally adopt local time as ship's time. 

They do in Hawaii.     They are not going to keep “ship”. Time   3 hours ahead.     It’s 5 days to cross plenty of time.   

Have you personally sailed to Hawaii without a time change?    I haven’t via several times.   

2 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

In November it will switch to Pacific Standard Time and will be 2 hours different from the US West Coast. 

Yes I know.  I posted on current.  I travel to Hawaii a couple times/year-  every year.  🤩🤩🤩.   I’m hopeful I’ll get another trip in-  Later this year.   

• 2 weeks later...

We moved from this Nov 28, 2020 cruise to the same time next year of November 27, 2021.  I am not sure 2020 will sail and I didn't want to invest additional time and dollars on a hope in 2020.  Got the same ship and cabin but the rate was a bit higher.  Good luck and please come back with a review.

• 6 months later...