Which Cruise Line Is Right for Me?

KellyCz

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Quite  a few areas 😲

We found  it  a problem   but  others may not  find it so

That is why I said     "More  smoking areas  for those that like to smoke" 

We are used to living in  a place where smoking indoors (unless your own home)  is not allowed

On Oceania  which we normally sail   they have 2 small areas for smokers   so no need to guess  what area is smoke free

We tried sitting out on the aft deck of the Serenity   but  maybe we are too sensitive to smoke

To each their own

For new people to Crystal  just be aware  if you are  a non smoker or have problems with the smell

JMO

One smoking issue on the R ships is that the forward starboard pool corner where smokers go does waft smoke through the doorway and can occasionally make its way into the gym. That's why the gym door on that side is often closed.

IMO, there are so few smokers on O, it really would make sense to go "no smoking." Of course, this could negatively impact crew who come from countries with far less restrictive smoking policies than the U.S.

While on msc YC we did upgrade our drink package to premium plus that included everything that was sold by the glass , this was just 17 a day , well worth it if you want to drink double Johnny Walker blue and xo cognacs also high champagne but red wines were a disappointment.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

One smoking issue on the R ships is that the forward starboard pool corner where smokers go does waft smoke through the doorway and can occasionally make its way into the gym. That's why the gym door on that side is often closed.

Yes  a problem on the R ships  with the gym being  right by  the smoking section

but at least it is a small area

outdoor smoking area

1 hour ago, George C said:

While on msc YC we did upgrade our drink package to premium plus that included everything that was sold by the glass , this was just 17 a day , well worth it if you want to drink double Johnny Walker blue and xo cognacs also high champagne but red wines were a disappointment.

What does the package cost ? 

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

What does the package cost ? 

Premium package which is any drink up to 12 dollars is free for YC , we paid thee extra 17 a day to get premium plus that gave us the great champagne and high end liquor like Johnny Walker blue we did get our money’s worth, they would also give you doubles if you asked.

Edited by George C
  • Thanks 1

Kelly, I am an older single Female. Alternate between Oceania and Celebrity. I like Celebrity for Europe and Caribbean and O for longer, more exotic ports.A well chosen Celebrity cruise(s), provides an excellent value. Like a transatlantic B2B with a European cruise.

Edited by zoncom
  • Like 1

I think the OP is actually a good fit with "O" given their likes and dislikes.  They might try and find a good deal on Seabourn and also look for deals on Azamara.  But I would offer a little advice to the OP.  Things like crowded bus tours are completely up to you.  We probably average 1 cruise line excursion for every 100 ports!  Why?  We also have a strong dislike to crowded and structured excursions.  In most parts of the world we do our pre cruise homework and simply do our own thing using buses, trains, rental cars, and our feet.  If we cannot reasonably do what we want to do on our own (this happens in a few rare places) we will then look to join a few others on a small group private tour (often arranged via the CC Roll Call boards).  

Some have recommended HAL, which is a decent mass market line.  But I generally do not recommend HAL for anyone under age 60.  That being said, we started cruising on HAL in our 40s and now have over 500 days on that line.  DW and I are now in our 70s and have been among the younger cruisers on some of our HAL cruises (especially the longer more exotic itineraries).

The only time we will ever do a cruise line excursion if there is no other way!  For us it is truly a last resort.  Being stuck on a bus with 50+ other cruisers is not my idea of fun and certainly not the way DW and I like to visit places.

Hank

On 6/19/2020 at 9:52 PM, George C said:

Our favorite which i think you would like is celebrity in suite , suite perks and food in suite restaurant is great or msc yacht club also great food and perks for both, both were mostly adults, which is a key for us also. 

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking at Celebrity based on your recommendation and others. It looks like a good option!

On 6/20/2020 at 8:29 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Based on your list, I would also recommend that you consider river cruises. They are a great way to explore cities relatively independently since most of the time they dock right in the center of the towns/cities they visit and they allow you to easily go off on your own without the need for a long bus ride to get "there".

I have not been on Oceania, but I have been on Azamara. The two lines have similar-sized ships, but my sense is that Oceania focuses more on the on-board experience while Azamara focuses more on itinerary, with a lot of more interesting ports and longer (or overnight) port stays. Neither line has the kind of entertainment that you'll find on some larger lines, but it doesn't sound like you are a fan of that type of entertainment. 

River cruises are an excellent suggestion! Thank you. We hadn't considered that idea.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:02 PM, Shorex said:

In addition to previous suggestions, I'd recommend adding Windstar to the mix.

https://www.windstarcruises.com/

Explore the website and get a feel for the personality of the cruise line. Actually that's good advice for every line that you are considering.

Some highlights:

Voted 2019 best small ship cruise line

Partners with James Beard foundation for cuisine

Ships have a sports platform that lowers in back for water sports in safe harbors

In some ports you can accompany the chef to local markets for dinner shopping

The bridge is open -- stop in to chat with the Captain and bridge officers about the charts and technology

and more...

We have sailed on multiple lines -- and Windstar is one of our top favorites.

I'd never heard of Windstar. Thanks for the suggestion. Will check it out.