Tax credits for tourism? Explore America tax credit

WAMarathoner

(Yes, I realize this is not Princess-specific, but could not find a better place for it.)

Explore America Tax Credit proposal: 50% tax credit for tourism dollars spent in the US in 2020 and 2021.

I'm wondering what aspects of cruising might be able to meet the requirements for this.  I realize it's not passed and is still in the works, but what does everyone think about this?  I'm sure the night-before-the-cruise hotel could be included.  Flight? (she types, hopefully).  Does anyone have more information (I couldn't find more specifics)?  And, if it passes, will you forgo cruises in favor of domestic tourism?  I've always wanted to see the buffalo roundup at Custer State Park...

(No politics please.  Tired of a few people hijacking threads to promote a particular view.)

• Like 3

I am against it. I think it benefits those who do not need to benefit from a tax credit. That is those who can afford to travel.

I think we need to take care of those who have lost jobs and spend the money on making sure they don't become homeless, they can eat and possibly retrain them for other jobs. As opposed to pay people to travel.

I am trying not to be political. Hopefully I was successful with it.

With that being said - I am considering domestic travel in the future. Non-cruising.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Explore America Tax Credit proposal: 50% tax credit for tourism dollars spent in the US in 2020 and 2021.

Where did you learn about this?  It has not been in the national news to the best of my knowledge.

rkacruiser;  just google it and you will find many articles about this subject.  It was brought up by the restaurant industry during a roundtable discussion last month at the White House

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

rkacruiser;  just google it and you will find many articles about this subject.  It was brought up by the restaurant industry during a roundtable discussion last month at the White House

Thank you.  I will do so.  As I said, I was totally unaware of this proposal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

(Yes, I realize this is not Princess-specific, but could not find a better place for it.)

I'm wondering what aspects of cruising might be able to meet the requirements for this.  I realize it's not passed and is still in the works, but what does everyone think about this?  I'm sure the night-before-the-cruise hotel could be included.  Flight? (she types, hopefully).  Does anyone have more information (I couldn't find more specifics)?  And, if it passes, will you forgo cruises in favor of domestic tourism?  I've always wanted to see the buffalo roundup at Custer State Park...

(No politics please.  Tired of a few people hijacking threads to promote a particular view.)

You post something very political and then state no politics. Seems to be a disconnect there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Not a great idea. We had a very large food drive through today to get free food and it was packed. Maybe help those who need food? Vacations are not necessary needs.

Edited by Casey12
  • Like 7

I think the goals are to stimulate the economy and decrease fear of the virus, and a byproduct will be boosting people’s spirits. That’s wonderful, but I personally think cash to spend on one’s own choiced pleasures or needs makes more sense, though. Obviously everyone on this forum travels, but many are unable to and would benefit from the money to buy clothes for their kids or buy a new furnace or or pay some bills. Those of us on here who want to cruise could then still choose to use the money for a cruise, but others wouldn’t be forced to travel to reap the benefit. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I Googled and I thought it to be an idea that might well help the hospitality industry.  

An issue that I see with this is the great differences among the States and localities as to what a traveler might experience as to requirements to try to prevent the spread of Covid.  

Traveling within the great State of Ohio where I know what the expectations are, yes, such a proposal would help to encourage me to "take the risk" and travel.  Traveling to other parts of the United States, I doubt that I would do during 2020.  A consistency of requirements need to be established which has yet to be done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

An issue that I see with this is the great differences among the States and localities as to what a traveler might experience as to requirements to try to prevent the spread of Covid. 

Probably, but what does that issue have to do with the ‘proposed’ tax credit that will likely never see the light of day?

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Probably, but what does that issue have to do with the ‘proposed’ tax credit that will likely never see the light of day?

"Never see the light of day" is probably correct.  Although, who knows what will come out of the "sausage grinder" in the Capital as legislation is made?

My comment had to do with my reluctance to consider any kind of travel outside of the 88 counties of Ohio where I am easily able to determine what restrictions, if any, I may encounter for doing so.  Do I want to venture to another State only to be told I have to go into quarantine for 14 days before I continue my trip, trying to spend some money to improve their economy?   I think not.

Nor would I consider doing so in your great country of Canada.  

Edited by rkacruiser

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

"Never see the light of day" is probably correct.  Although, who knows what will come out of the "sausage grinder" in the Capital as legislation is made?

My comment had to do with my reluctance to consider any kind of travel outside of the 88 counties of Ohio where I am easily able to determine what restrictions, if any, I may encounter for doing so.  Do I want to venture to another State only to be told I have to go into quarantine for 14 days before I continue my trip, trying to spend some money to improve their economy?   I think not.

Nor would I consider doing so in your great country of Canada.  

Understood.  No cross border non-essential travel for at least another month.  I’m still planning a trip to Nova Scotia but there are some unusual travel restrictions in place between some of the provinces so will just have to see wha5 develops on that front over the next few weeks.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I Googled and I thought it to be an idea that might well help the hospitality industry.  

Traveling within the great State of Ohio where I know what the expectations are, yes, such a proposal would help to encourage me to "take the risk" and travel.  Traveling to other parts of the United States, I doubt that I would do during 2020.  A consistency of requirements need to be established which has yet to be done.

We each have to deal with our own risk tolerance.  But I do think you are putting yourself into a box.  For example, we will soon be driving down to South Carolina, which means driving through Maryland, Virginia,  and North Carolina.  There are no restrictions of concern,  Restaurants are open, take out is open, motels are open, etc.  In South Carolina the beaches are open, restaurants are all open (inside and out) and taking reservations, etc.  Sure, we will do our best to social distance and will wear a mask when appropriate.  But we will also be on our favorite beaches (where social distancing is easy) and swimming in the sea.   Is there some risk?  Yes just like there is risk to everyday life.   The consistency you desire may not happen for years...if ever!  I do respect those who choose to stay home and live a very cautious life.  But I choose to live my life rather then look for constant excuses why not to live my life.  And waiting for politicians, many with their own agendas, to tell me when I can do things is not a life I want to live!  People that live in places like Iran and China are used to having their government tell them when and where they can go places.   In my country those are decisions I prefer to make for myself.

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have some bad news for all you overly cautious people on here.  We are on a vacation and are in the process of driving through 8 states, on state 6 right now, and everything everywhere is packed.  Everyone is traveling.  90% of people are not wearing masks.  And life is good!!  I love it!! The cruise industry is just getting the shaft from the cdc.  There is no reason they shouldn’t be up and running.  It’s ridiculous.  I am on the tax credit team btw.  Great idea to support the tourist industry.  The way to help people who have lost jobs is to get the economy going so that they can find a job.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cafedumonde said:

I have some bad news for all you overly cautious people on here.  We are on a vacation and are in the process of driving through 8 states, on state 6 right now, and everything everywhere is packed.  Everyone is traveling.  90% of people are not wearing masks.  And life is good!!  I love it!! The cruise industry is just getting the shaft from the cdc.  There is no reason they shouldn’t be up and running.  It’s ridiculous.  I am on the tax credit team btw.  Great idea to support the tourist industry.  The way to help people who have lost jobs is to get the economy going so that they can find a job.

Are you traveling through any of the 10 states that are seeing their highest seven-day average of new coronavirus cases per day.

8 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

I have some bad news for all you overly cautious people on here.  We are on a vacation and are in the process of driving through 8 states, on state 6 right now, and everything everywhere is packed.  Everyone is traveling.  90% of people are not wearing masks.  And life is good!!  I love it!! The cruise industry is just getting the shaft from the cdc.  There is no reason they shouldn’t be up and running.  It’s ridiculous. 

I am in awe of your ability to assess the health of the local population through your car window.

Perhaps princess could hire you to park your car at the entrance of the port everglades, and screen passengers entering?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I would take advantage of a tax credit for travel. Las Vegas would be a good destination for us SoCal people. The tourism industry needs some infusion of capital so why not. It would actually bring jobs back and help those in need.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We each have to deal with our own risk tolerance.  But I do think you are putting yourself into a box.  For example, we will soon be driving down to South Carolina, which means driving through Maryland, Virginia,  and North Carolina.  There are no restrictions of concern,  Restaurants are open, take out is open, motels are open, etc.  In South Carolina the beaches are open, restaurants are all open (inside and out) and taking reservations, etc.  Sure, we will do our best to social distance and will wear a mask when appropriate.  But we will also be on our favorite beaches (where social distancing is easy) and swimming in the sea.   Is there some risk?  Yes just like there is risk to everyday life.   The consistency you desire may not happen for years...if ever!  I do respect those who choose to stay home and live a very cautious life.  But I choose to live my life rather then look for constant excuses why not to live my life.  And waiting for politicians, many with their own agendas, to tell me when I can do things is not a life I want to live!  People that live in places like Iran and China are used to having their government tell them when and where they can go places.   In my country those are decisions I prefer to make for myself.

Hank

I appreciate your thoughtful post.  More thoughts on which to ponder.  I agree with your statements regarding "others" telling me what I ought to do/not do with my life.  I agree about life being risky.  Getting out of bed every morning is a risk.  Given my current health situation, the concern with which I am struggling is how much risk ought I reasonably take?  I am not comfortable wearing a mask to do the errands that I must now do.  Do I spend significant amounts of money and venture far afield where I am putting myself at more risk than if I probably stayed home and still have to wear a mask?    

I'm tempted to say:  what the H*&L!  I've had a good life.  I have suffered my tragedies and experienced many highlights in my life.  If I contract Covid-19 and die from it, so what?  

I just can't get to that answer yet.  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, brisalta said:

You post something very political and then state no politics. Seems to be a disconnect there.

How is that political?  I asked for more information, for thoughts whether it would help with cruise costs, and whether cruisers would trade cruising for domestic travel.

Please do not follow me around and claim things that are not true.  This was a legitimate question and many have different points to bring up, which is what I was asking.

Edited by WAMarathoner
  • Like 7

On 6/20/2020 at 1:34 PM, Coral said:

I am against it. I think it benefits those who do not need to benefit from a tax credit. That is those who can afford to travel.

I think we need to take care of those who have lost jobs and spend the money on making sure they don't become homeless, they can eat and possibly retrain them for other jobs. As opposed to pay people to travel.

I am trying not to be political. Hopefully I was successful with it.

With that being said - I am considering domestic travel in the future. Non-cruising.

Me too. Want to support hospitality workers and shop small. It might be a little pricier 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, WAMarathoner said:

How is that political?

Don't get too frustrated about whether a comment is or is not political.  I am among others on this Forum as well as the Amtrak Discussion Forum that are having issues with what comments are acceptable and not deemed as political.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, d9704011 said:

One of the ways that is quite effective during an outbreak is to limit travel.  The more travel away from ones home area the more chance for an infected person to infect others and doing so in different areas where each infection could lead to more local spread. The more that someone that is not infected comes in contact with more different people the higher the chance for them to get infected.  In your home area you tend to come in contact with the same people, go to the same stores, etc.  When traveling almost every contact, every store, every stop is someone new.

Traveling also makes it very difficult for contact tracing to do any good.

As such a tax break to encourage traveling goes in direct opposition to good public health practice, as long as the outbreak is active.  Especially now when it is increasing in many areas.

• Like 1