Tax credits for tourism? Explore America tax credit

WAMarathoner

16 hours ago, Coral said:

People in more industries than travel and tourism lost their jobs. This is not going to assist them.

Yes, but you pay people for working, and they spend money supporting the other industries.

And with people out of work, tax revenues will be down, so how much money will the gov actually have to hand out?   Most of gov has been working.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, SRF said:

Yes, but you pay people for working, and they spend money supporting the other industries.

And with people out of work, tax revenues will be down, so how much money will the gov actually have to hand out?   Most of gov has been working.

Most tourism jobs though are low paying jobs and are often PT. Many don't have benefits. I would rather support growth in other industries (such as building houses) where it supports many different industries with FT jobs with benefits.

I'm actually reading this thread in our 20 year old RV that we've driven to 49 US states and several Canadian provinces and territories. I'm very happy to be in it now, and will enjoy a meandering drive home after we finish helping our son move from one central Montana town to one in northwest MT. I love, love, love RV travel, and I am very grateful to have seen so much of the US and Canada this way. 

For most of our nearly 32 year relationship, Hubby and I planned to become (nearly) full-time RVers once he retired and the youngest graduated HS. After our 25th anniversary Baltic cruise in 2016 and a 50th birthday/college graduation/HS graduation Med cruise in 2017, we decided that a few years of international travel before grandkids come along would be wise and the full-time RV-ing would wait. Well, now that Hubby retired in September and the youngest graduated last month, it appears that the world has put a damper on those plans.

We saw more rental RVs than usual the road and in the St. George, Utah campground last night. One might extrapolate that more people are trying out RVing since their other plans have been cancelled. Let's face it: RVing and camping are great for social distancing! The park was far from full, however, and definitely less full than we would expect this time of year.

No industry exists completely cut off from others. If a tax incentive got more people safely traveling within the US, it would put people in hospitality and tourism back to work. Those people would then have money to spend elsewhere, putting others back to work. Hotels, campgrounds, etc. would need to be supplied, putting others back to work. The people working for those th supply and provisions companies then have money in their pockets. Etc., etc., etc...

Perhaps a US tax incentive might be a good idea, perhaps not. I appreciate hearing the variety of perspectives here. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

There’s one way of looking at it.

It appears as though Canada will be on the list of ‘acceptable’ countries although that may be a moot point; government still has a travel advice out against non-essential travel outside the country and I don’t think that will be changing any time soon.

I see your government has given the NHL an ok for travel, possibly using one or two of your cities as hubs once their season restarts, but at the same time has not given any travel approval to major league baseball for teams to go play the Toronto Blue Jays.

24 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I see your government has given the NHL an ok for travel, possibly using one or two of your cities as hubs once their season restarts, but at the same time has not given any travel approval to major league baseball for teams to go play the Toronto Blue Jays.

We’ll see how all that works out.  I’m thinking the NBA, NHL and MLB will be cancelling the rest of their seasons and will figure out what to do when September (or March, 2021 in the case of baseball) rolls around.

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

We’ll see how all that works out.  I’m thinking the NBA, NHL and MLB will be cancelling the rest of their seasons and will figure out what to do when September (or March, 2021 in the case of baseball) rolls around.

Come to think of it I have read nothing concerning Canadian Football. What are they attempting? The NFL seems hell bent on starting on time and having a full schedule. There first concession to reality was that they just cancelled the Hall of Fame exhibition game that was to be the first pre-season game.

It will be interesting to see how the NBA's idea of having a hub at Disney in Florida works out if at all. When they announced it Florida was looking relatively good, but now it is spiking.

59 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The NBA and MLB have announced their modified schedules...they aren't canceling, at least at this point. I don't follow hockey, but I have heard they are working to start up.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Most tourism jobs though are low paying jobs and are often PT. Many don't have benefits. I would rather support growth in other industries (such as building houses) where it supports many different industries with FT jobs with benefits.

So are you advocating an end to the tourism industry?  It seems as if you want it to come crashing down because you want the housekeepers to become rocket scientists or electricians.   You do realize that if you retrain 1.5 million hotel workers to be electricians, they will only make $12.00/HR with no benefits if they can find work...

• Like 1

Mamafeg - I was shocked last Fall (first 2 weeks of November) when I did my camping roadtrip down through Southern Utah, Northern Arizona.  There were soooo many rental RVs and those rental camping vans!!!!!! They ran the gamut from the good old trusty family RV to totally spiffed out Mercedes Sprinters to gaudily-painted camping vans.  At one point, at Lake Powell, I think  was the only person with a tent at the campground.  So, I think the RV business was already ramping up.  It really is a good way to keep your social distancing!  

As for the NBA planning to play at DisneyWorld - it is kind of appropriate: to play basketball games while team members are coming down with COVID is a bit of a Fantasyland...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

So are you advocating an end to the tourism industry?  It seems as if you want it to come crashing down because you want the housekeepers to become rocket scientists or electricians.   You do realize that if you retrain 1.5 million hotel workers to be electricians, they will only make $12.00/HR with no benefits if they can find work...

I'm one of those people working in hotels.  I already was a software engineer.  This is my "pre-retirement" career.   Unless your hotel is in a location with year-round business,  you hire probably 50% (if not more) of your employees as seasonal.  And, that $12/hr with no benefits for a seasonal job is on the high side - my Front Desk Agents started at $13/hr and they did have to have some technical skills.  But for someone to say they'd rather not use their money to help the tourism business, but something like housing is, I can't understand.  If people stop supporting the tourism business, where to those employees go to?  In most cases, they are already working 2-3 jobs to try to get by.  They sure don't have the money to go back to school for a trade or a degree.  Not sure what you want them to do...   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I am just saying Tourism will return when it feels safe. I don't think stimulus money should be spent here.

To force tourism sooner (before it is safe) could cause problems.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I'm one of those people working in hotels.  I already was a software engineer.  This is my "pre-retirement" career.   Unless your hotel is in a location with year-round business,  you hire probably 50% (if not more) of your employees as seasonal.  And, that $12/hr with no benefits for a seasonal job is on the high side - my Front Desk Agents started at $13/hr and they did have to have some technical skills.  But for someone to say they'd rather not use their money to help the tourism business, but something like housing is, I can't understand.  If people stop supporting the tourism business, where to those employees go to?  In most cases, they are already working 2-3 jobs to try to get by.  They sure don't have the money to go back to school for a trade or a degree.  Not sure what you want them to do...   

I actually think we should extend unemployment benefits until tourism is safe. I am also for re-training for better jobs with assistance. I get that these individuals in tourism often work 2-3 jobs with out benefits and this is so unfair. 

Edited by Coral

On 6/20/2020 at 7:30 PM, Hlitner said:

We each have to deal with our own risk tolerance...  I do respect those who choose to stay home and live a very cautious life.  But I choose to live my life rather then look for constant excuses why not to live my life.  And waiting for politicians, many with their own agendas, to tell me when I can do things is not a life I want to live!  People that live in places like Iran and China are used to having their government tell them when and where they can go places.   In my country those are decisions I prefer to make for myself.

Hank

Traditional American view that rights and responsibilities are related.  The unfortunate thing is that so many are willing to give up on this perspective and give away rights to avoid responsibility for their actions.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:01 AM, PrincessLuver said:

I agree......there already has been one of the biggest bailouts (handouts) in history and now people want to tax more.  They need to spend the money on testing, tracing, research and support for hospitals and medical care dealing with COVID-19 and not on some frivolous tax for travel.  Hotels already charge for resort fees and some restaurants are starting to add a COVID surcharge to bills.  The tourist industry will be just fine except possibly cruising.  It is going to be almost impossible for cruise ships to present themselves as COVID-19 safe just by the nature of the business and ships if COVID-19 is not defeated.

The only thing that seems to be traveling really well in the US is COVID-19.  Until that is taken care of nothing will be safe and 25 states still have rising COVID-19 numbers after 4 months of trying to suppress the virus while most countries have declining COVID-19 cases.  I guess that's what you call American exceptionalism!

Resort fees and tax for travel?  I think you are missing the concept.  It is a tax credit to spend money at home as opposed to abroad.  It is not a tax on travel.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I am just saying Tourism will return when it feels safe. I don't think stimulus money should be spent here.

To force tourism sooner (before it is safe) could cause problems.

I'm not making the assumption that the tax incentive would be applied to force travel before it is safe to do so.  Everyone should oppose that.  It should only be considered after we are able to reopen as a way to help rebuild the economy.   Perhaps there are other facets of the economy that would benefit more, but other than that possibility,  I really don't see a down side.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AF-1 said:

You can do a staycation.  The United States has a lot of beauty.  Maybe we should see what the US has to offer;  since the EU does not want Americans to travel to their countries or zones;  we can experience the beauty of our country and all it has to offer

Yes, so true.  But, the continuing news about the increase in infections in now 24 or our 50 States, including our own State, tell me that "staycation" for 2020 means "staying home" and only venturing out when I absolutely need to do so.  

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think the next stimulus (if there is one) needs to benefit all industries. Not limit it to one. If this means a check to everyone again, that is fine.

I think that a tourism tax credit would necessarily need to be included in a more encompassing tax bill.  I don't see that a tourism tax break has to be to the exclusion of other tax credits and economic stimuli.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 8:55 AM, AF-1 said:

You can do a staycation.  The United States has a lot of beauty.  Maybe we should see what the US has to offer;  since the EU does not want Americans to travel to their countries or zones;  we can experience the beauty of our country and all it has to offer

I’ve been confused by how people on this site define ‘staycation’. Think there was a whole thread about ‘where will you go on your staycation’. I’ve always defined a staycation as staying at home, exploring your home city, or possibly day trips. A domestic vacation is still a trip. As in, I have a staycation planned in July where I’m taking a week of work to relax at home, see friends, and family, and possibly get stuff done around the house. We may planning a vacation to California in the fall.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I’ve been confused by how people on this site define ‘staycation’. Think there was a whole thread about ‘where will you go on your staycation’. I’ve always defined a staycation as staying at home, exploring your home city, or possibly day trips. A domestic vacation is still a trip. As in, I have a staycation planned in July where I’m taking a week of work to relax at home, see friends, and family, and possibly get stuff done around the house. We may planning a vacation to California in the fall.

I guess some world travelers see their home country as 'home' and staying in their home country is their staycation.  But I agree that a staycation to me is vacationing in your primary residence.  I don't count spending a week at your vacation home or fishing camp as being a 'staycation.'

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I guess some world travelers see their home country as 'home' and staying in their home country is their staycation.  But I agree that a staycation to me is vacationing in your primary residence.  I don't count spending a week at your vacation home or fishing camp as being a 'staycation.'

maybe; I would consider myself a ‘world traveler’ but if I have to go somewhere, find someone to watch my dogs, check into a hotel or Airbnb, it’s a vacation. There’s a lot of people i know that don’t consider trips outside the US and their annual trip to Florida or South Carolina is the only vacation they take.

9 hours ago, Coral said:

Not limit it to one. If this means a check to everyone again, that is fine.

I didn't get one.  I didn't expect one.  I didn't deserve one based on the criteria that I read.  That's OK with me.

What bothers me very greatly is a widow whom I know whose payment was issued on May 22, 2020 and she has never received it either by a paper check or through her bank account.  This is money that she needs.

Our Government failed her.  

I don't want to see more money thrown out to whatever constituency with the "hope" that it will gain votes for "those in power".  I want to see a Government that WORKS!  And, our current government on the Federal level and on many State levels DOES NOT WORK in the best interest of "We, the People". 

This is not what our Founding Fathers expected.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I didn't get one.  I didn't expect one.  I didn't deserve one based on the criteria that I read.  That's OK with me.

What bothers me very greatly is a widow whom I know whose payment was issued on May 22, 2020 and she has never received it either by a paper check or through her bank account.  This is money that she needs.

Our Government failed her.  

I don't want to see more money thrown out to whatever constituency with the "hope" that it will gain votes for "those in power".  I want to see a Government that WORKS!  And, our current government on the Federal level and on many State levels DOES NOT WORK in the best interest of "We, the People". 

This is not what our Founding Fathers expected.   

Yes - let me correct myself. Not everyone received a check. There were limitations.

I also agree that there were issues with people receiving the checks, while dead people were also issued checks.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Yes - let me correct myself. Not everyone received a check. There were limitations.

I also agree that there were issues with people receiving the checks, while dead people were also issued checks.

The woman with whom I referenced was the widow of a Protestant Minister who passed several years ago.  Does she have the resources that would have cancelled her benefits for the stimulus?  I don't think so.  

Does she have the means to hire an attorney to obtain what she is owed?  What do you think?  

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Agree. I always understood staycation to mean staying at home.  It has nothing to do with lack of international travel.  I guess we need a new term that describes a vacation in the home country.  I was going to suggest domestication (domestic + vacation).  But maybe not.  There is no way I'm going to suggest domestication to  Mrs Ldubs.  CV-19 would be the least of my worries.   😃