Tax credits for tourism? Explore America tax credit

WAMarathoner

59 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The woman with whom I referenced was the widow of a Protestant Minister who passed several years ago.  Does she have the resources that would have cancelled her benefits for the stimulus?  I don't think so.  

Does she have the means to hire an attorney to obtain what she is owed?  What do you think?  

She may want to try their US Senator or Congressman if she qualified..... Not sure if she didn't qualify or didn't receive it. Two different things. It does sound like she could benefit from it.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What bothers me very greatly is a widow whom I know whose payment was issued on May 22, 2020 and she has never received it either by a paper check or through her bank account.  This is money that she needs.

What a shame.  I hope she has circled back around to the IRS site to get a replacement.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coral said:

She may want to try their US Senator or Congressman if she qualified..... Not sure if she didn't qualify or didn't receive it. Two different things. It does sound like she could benefit from it.

I was going to suggest the same thing; it's called constituent service.

It does sound like she qualifies. I know my mother did despite having died well before this. (One of my brothers had no idea what to do with the check until there was government direction to return it after I guess this happened often enough for them to notice.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What bothers me very greatly is a widow whom I know whose payment was issued on May 22, 2020 and she has never received it either by a paper check or through her bank account.  This is money that she needs.

She would only get the money directly deposited to her bank account if she had direct deposit previously set up with IRS.  They aren't mailing checks, they are sending the money as a Visa ATM card which is mailed.  Many people threw their stimulus Visa card away thinking it was unsolicited junk mail.  The Envelope comes from "Money Network Cardholder Services" from Omaha, Nebraska.  If she threw the envelope away, she can contact IRS for a free replacement.

443818450_StimulisEnvelope.jpg.f56133e523553a439cedf339641830b8.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If it says it was issued May 22, then clearly an error occurred. Hasn't she been on the phone with the IRS requesting a replacement? The government didn't "fail her". She deserved one and was theoretically issued one. Mistakes in government processing and mail service do occur. Or as someone else said, it's possible the mistake was on her end. This should be quite easy to resolve.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 10:51 AM, Coral said:

Most tourism jobs though are low paying jobs and are often PT. Many don't have benefits. I would rather support growth in other industries (such as building houses) where it supports many different industries with FT jobs with benefits.

Who is going to buy those houses with the economy in the dumps and many people out of work????????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SRF said:

Who is going to buy those houses with the economy in the dumps and many people out of work????????

It worked well in 2009. Back then, it was noted that house building affects so many businesses that it was one of the best economic stimulus. Think about it - lumberyards, plumbers, electricians, flooring companies, painters, lightning companies, dry wallers, HVAC and Air Conditioning companies, cabinets, counters, appliances, sprinkler companies, sod companies, brickyards, roofers, locksmiths, etc..... Just a few industries that would benefit (many more are involved).

I have friends in several of these industries (electricians and plumbers) who are not doing anything right now as people don't want them in their houses (or any similar industries).

There are still quite a few individuals/industries who have not been affected by this.

Edited by Coral

Ok for those who commended on page 3 of this thread.  To me a stay-cation would be staying in my home town; in this case Cincinnati, Ohio and explore someplace I have not yet seen, or visit family, or do chores that have been mounting up around the house.  Oh wait,  I'm retired; so I am on permanent vacation.

• Like 3

In Australia there is always a discussion of how to get us travelling around our own country. A tax credit for domestic travel is certainly a new idea. Personally I don't think it would work. People travel to enjoy themselves and therefore pick destinations they feel will give them enjoyment. If someone wanted to visit sights in their own country they would regardless of tax credits. They certainly would have the money to do so from what they have budgeted for that international trip that would have been cancelled, but most likely they will save it for that international trip when the borders reopen. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

This should be quite easy to resolve.

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

She would only get the money directly deposited to her bank account if she had direct deposit previously set up with IRS.  They aren't mailing checks, they are sending the money as a Visa ATM card which is mailed

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

19 hours ago, Coral said:

She may want to try their US Senator or Congressman if she qualified.

I hope she has circled back around to the IRS site to get a replacement.  

Thank you all for suggestions!  I really don't know what she has tried.  I will share with her your ideas.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

In Australia there is always a discussion of how to get us travelling around our own country. A tax credit for domestic travel is certainly a new idea. Personally I don't think it would work. People travel to enjoy themselves and therefore pick destinations they feel will give them enjoyment. If someone wanted to visit sights in their own country they would regardless of tax credits. They certainly would have the money to do so from what they have budgeted for that international trip that would have been cancelled, but most likely they will save it for that international trip when the borders reopen. 

I think you a missing the point.

This is to get people traveling, who would not due to COVID 19.

So, that who were planning on traveling, but have cancelled or postponed travel plans.

And while I would not expect a tax credit for money spent outside my home country, I would hope that flights booked on US carriers would apply, no matter what the destination.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SRF said:

I think you a missing the point.

This is to get people traveling, who would not due to COVID 19.

So, that who were planning on traveling, but have cancelled or postponed travel plans.

And while I would not expect a tax credit for money spent outside my home country, I would hope that flights booked on US carriers would apply, no matter what the destination.

Actually I think you might have missed my point😉. I understand the intention I just don't think it will work in practice. My experience is the people who had their trips to Fiji cancelled are not going to suddenly book a trip to Cairns. They generally will save their refunded money to try again next year for the trip they want. Yes there travellers who just enjoy travel and will find something iof interest in any destination but we will travel with or without a tax credit so that won't change anything. I think most travellers have a destination preference and they are unlikey to be swayed by any tax credit.

Edited by ilikeanswers

20 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

My experience is the people who had their trips to Fiji cancelled are not going to suddenly book a trip to Cairns. They generally will save their refunded money to try again next year for the trip they want. . I think most travellers have a destination preference and they are unlikey to be swayed by any tax credit.

In the absence of an incentive for spending travel money in your home country, you are probably correct.  If a family had initially desired to take the kids to historic areas for vacation and originally planned on going to Italy or Britain, they may just decide to spend the money taking the kids to see Washington, D.C., Gettysburg, Lexington and Concord, Yorktown, Virginia and many other historic destinations in the US. This is true especially if half of what they spend will come back as a tax refund.  Having a tax incentive would make local travel destinations more attractive to many travelers who wouldn't have considered these destinations before.

A tax credit specifically designed to benefit the owners of golf courses and hotels, which will benefit the well to do but not low income and encourages people to violate the guidelines of the CDC.  

How is this not political?

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

In the absence of an incentive for spending travel money in your home country, you are probably correct.  If a family had initially desired to take the kids to historic areas for vacation and originally planned on going to Italy or Britain, they may just decide to spend the money taking the kids to see Washington, D.C., Gettysburg, Lexington and Concord, Yorktown, Virginia and many other historic destinations in the US. This is true especially if half of what they spend will come back as a tax refund.  Having a tax incentive would make local travel destinations more attractive to many travelers who wouldn't have considered these destinations before.

You are more optimistic than me 😂. People who want to see historical sights in Europe are usually looking for something medieval which isn't comparable with anything in USA. You may get half back but you still need to spend half. Saving that is more money for your dream trip. Some people would definitely take advantage but I just feel most people are fussy when it comes to travel destinations and I just don't think it will make a significant enough impact. What is missing is people's desire to visit domestic destinations. If you can make a destination desirable it will have a greater impact on tourism than just throwing money at people and basically begging them to visit. 

11 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

You are more optimistic than me 😂. People who want to see historical sights in Europe are usually looking for something medieval which isn't comparable with anything in USA. You may get half back but you still need to spend half. Saving that is more money for your dream trip. Some people would definitely take advantage but I just feel most people are fussy when it comes to travel destinations and I just don't think it will make a significant enough impact. What is missing is people's desire to visit domestic destinations. If you can make a destination desirable it will have a greater impact on tourism than just throwing money at people and basically begging them to visit. 

I was going to say that only time will tell but I don't think a travel and leisure tax credit would ever even get out of committee and onto the floor of the House.  So, I think this is all speculation over something not too likely to come about anyway.  😷

• Like 1

I agree with the above comments.  It's likely another stimulus check will be given out.  Why?  Some people don't have the money to spend on a vacation either close to home or in neighboring state.  Since Congress wants to be fair and help all people the tourist tax credit will most likely fail.

3 hours ago, ed01106 said:

A tax credit specifically designed to benefit the owners of golf courses and hotels, which will benefit the well to do but not low income and encourages people to violate the guidelines of the CDC.  

How is this not political?

The concept is to increase circulation for the benefit of the economy.  When a dollar is spent it doesn't end there.  The economic benefit multiplies as it circulates.   Also, I don't understand the comment about hotel owners.  They spend money.  They have employees.  They sign paychecks.  The one thing I agree on is that this should not be done before travel is deemed safe.  

If not enacted it should be because it isn't going to pass some cost/benefit test or because there is a better approach.  It is political only because people want to make it political.   

• Like 1

I say this weekend will be a tell tale sign.  If the United States makes it thru 4th of July weekend with minimal new cases; then we may be on road to recovery.  It will be telling.  Let's see what happens.

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2020 at 6:34 PM, rkacruiser said:

The woman with whom I referenced was the widow of a Protestant Minister who passed several years ago.  Does she have the resources that would have cancelled her benefits for the stimulus?  I don't think so.  

Does she have the means to hire an attorney to obtain what she is owed?  What do you think?  

Could you help her out by going to the website (I don't have it at hand), I think its something like "where's my check" and see if she has any status?  She may have had to manually enter her address and if she wanted an e-check, her bank info.  I've heard that some seniors had this issue.  

There are some articles out there that say some people haven't received their money yet and may not get it until the end of the year.  I'm so sorry she is having trouble.  I know what it is like to need that money (it paid my mortgage for 1 month).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ldubs said:

The concept is to increase circulation for the benefit of the economy.  When a dollar is spent it doesn't end there.  The economic benefit multiplies as it circulates.   Also, I don't understand the comment about hotel owners.  They spend money.  They have employees.  They sign paychecks.  The one thing I agree on is that this should not be done before travel is deemed safe.  

If not enacted it should be because it isn't going to pass some cost/benefit test or because there is a better approach.  It is political only because people want to make it political.   

A dollar spent on food doesn’t end there either.  So why not expand food stamps instead.  A dollar spent in rent doesn’t end there either so why no give a tax credit for rent so folks don’t get evicted.  A dollar spent installing plexiglass sneeze guards on every school desk doesn’t end there.  Plenty of alternative stimulus packages exist.  This one benefits those people who can afford vacations and the president himself.