River Queen vs SS Antoinette

runswdogs

We are looking to rebook our cancelled "Castles Along the Rhine" cruise for 2021.  On June 6, both River Q and SS Antoinette seem to be doing that exact itinerary.  We are planning on being "bottom dwellers", the pricing for the cheapest cabins are running $3899 for RQ and $4099 for SS Antoinette.  Looks like SS Antoinette is newer, but I've also read that Uniworld does try to keep up on refurbishing their older ships.
I had gotten recommendations for River Empress, which would have been our ship for our cancelled cruise (we would have been on board right now 😔...) so I have a pretty good idea what I'd like for the similar River Queen.  Any recommendations for La Countesse deck for SS Antoinette would be appreciated.
So....if you had to pick between the two ships, which would you pick, with the knowledge that SS Antoinette is a couple of hundred bucks more?

Funny you should pose this question.  Today I received an email from Uniworld featuring a video tour of the SS Antoinette.  All I can say is WOW.  It's beautifully decorated with a French theme a la Marie Antoinette, and there's a swimming pool and movie theatre.  Nothing wrong with the River Queen, but since there's such a small price difference, I'd be inclined to book the SS Antoinette.

Last year Uniworld announced that after the 2020 sailing season the River Queen is supposed to be refurbished and become a SS.  Looking at the info for 2021, there is no mention of a made over Queen, no doubt as a cost saving measure after this non existent cruising season.

The River Queen is my favourite ship.  She has a personality that for me is very welcoming and cozy.  The Antoinette is beautiful with all the extras you see in the video, however it was too posh for me.  Her cabins are larger, which is a big plus.

The crew on both were amazing. The food top notch on both.  Whatever you decide will be the right choice for you.  Enjoy your cruise.

RB 

• Like 1

There is a size difference between the cabins - Classic on the River Q is 151 square feet, the SS Antoinette is 163 Square feet.  Whether or not that will make any real difference as you really don't spend all your time in the cabin is up to you.  The Antoinette is also longer - 443 ft vs 361 ft which will make the public rooms a bit more spacious.  

Other than that, I would say they the decor you wish (Antoinette seems more airy? to me in the pics especially the dining area) to choose would be my choice between the two.

I'm sure either one will give a fantastic cruise.

Thanks for all the replies....I am seeing that there probably is no bad choice here.  There is still a lot of availability on the bottom decks for both ships, but I am looking into making a reservation for next year using my FCC, since my daughter's schedule for her next school year just came out, and she has the *one* week she can make the cruise with us.  This year's cruise was supposed to be a celebration of her finishing 1st yr med school.  Next year she has 6 weeks off, but she will need almost 4 weeks to prepare for her Boards before heading to Europe.  Then no more real vacations for a very long time after that 😐.
This will be our first Uniworld cruise, so we are really looking forward to it.

I’ve been on both ships. I was on the bottom level on the River Queen. The room was fine, nothing special. On the Antoinette I was on an upper deck and the room was very fancy and a much better and bigger bathroom. I don’t know what the rooms were like on their lowest level.

As for the rest of the ship, the Antoinette is by far a more luxury ship. The pool is fabulous, there is a second lounge in the back that is like a night club, there is a movie theater and the main lounge and lobby are beautiful. If you want the full Uniworld experience, I’d choose the Antoinette.

• Like 1

HoneyJan.....Thanks!  They both really sound fabulous!
Looking forward to next year with the hope that things will be closer to normal....I have to say I never realized how much I loved my "old normal"!