Has anyone tried back to back cruising?

deer stone

I also believe that the best sightseeing and nightlife at a particular city is best done by a land tour, where you can spend 4 to 6 nights at that particular City to cover all the best & must see/ must do sightseeing and attractions

spendng just 6 to 8 hours at a port with the pressure of having to return back to the ship on time, doesn't give you much opportunity to do all the sightseeing in that port or city.

55 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Does anyone go on a cruise specifically for the entertainment? I don't mean choosing one line or ship over another because of that season's entertainment, but going on cruises primarily for the entertainment?

The only cruises we went on for the entertainment  was  a Music charter  & there  were so many acts going on all day we did not see them all 😄

We go for the itinerary on other cruises  if these is  a good show in the evening ..bonus

6 hours ago, kochleffel said:

On the other hand, there was one passenger who was in week 4 of four cruises on that ship and went to all of them every week, sometimes twice in the same week. Go figure.

Huh, I probably wouldn't do that, but I guess it is like listening to music you enjoy over and over.   So I guess I get it.  

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Does anyone go on a cruise specifically for the entertainment? I don't mean choosing one line or ship over another because of that season's entertainment, but going on cruises primarily for the entertainment?

Not specifically for the entertainment but I have to say I really enjoy the entertainment and it would make a huge difference in the experience if it were removed.   I enjoy the various lounge/atrium entertainers more so than the big productions.  But I've enjoyed many of those too.  Anyway, best ever was a guy from Mexico with a guitar.  Played/sang a lot of Beatles stuff.  

On 6/21/2020 at 12:08 PM, George C said:

On our last we actually moved one room over this was handy since we had same room steward and butler since we were in a celebrity suite , before we left our cabin our room steward said our new cabin was all set, they moved everything on hangers also. 

We did a b2b2b and changed 3 times.  We started out in the aft suite, then moved to the front owners suite and back to the same aft suite.  Had the same butler twice.  They moved everything for us, hangers too.

When the virus attack first happened, all those who were on Cruises had to stay on for many extra days free of charge.

I am sure they got free food and accommodation. what about free entertainment and activities, use of the pool, hot tub, etc?

35 minutes ago, drsel said:

I am sure they got free food and accommodation. what about free entertainment and activities, use of the pool, hot tub, etc?

I believe many of them were under quarantine orders.  Probably no large groups, social distancing, etc.  

I believe many of them were under quarantine orders.  Probably no large groups, social distancing, etc.  
When at least they got to Cruise for free for many days with free food and accommodation[emoji16]

Many of us have done B2B cruises, and we love them. For me, I feel it's a little different to do a B2B than to just do a longer cruise. Turnaround day has a very interesting, special vibe, if you will. We would only do again if we could stay in the same cabin. Packing up and moving sort of defeats the purpose of the ease of a B2B (in my opinion).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drsel said:

Back to back cruising makes sense, if you are primarily going for the ship itself, instead of the ports.
because you save on airfare and Visa costs as compared to 2 separate Cruises

??? There are many, many B2B cruises that don't repeat ports. Some aren't even closed loop, so even the "turn around" isn't a repeat. We've never done a B2B with the same itinerary. Our main interest is in the ports. Our visa costs would have been the same unless separated by a long period of time.

Edited by mom says

If you are more interested in sight seeing, then a land tour is the best you can do.
Because you need 4 to 6 nights at a city to fully experience all the must see /must do attractions without the pressure of having to rush back to the ship within 6 to 8 hours

On 6/26/2020 at 10:52 PM, drsel said:

Not sure that is a plus - I recall hearing that Johnny Cash entertained at Soledad - where every “guest” enjoys “free food and accommodation”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drsel said:

If you are more interested in sight seeing, then a land tour is the best you can do.
Because you need 4 to 6 nights at a city to fully experience all the must see /must do attractions without the pressure of having to rush back to the ship within 6 to 8 hours

I don't think anyone has said that a land vacation isn't superior to a one day port stop if you are interested on a deep dive into a specific place. However there are many places where I have been quite content with a one and done. Just as there are many places that we first encountered on a port stop and returned at a later date for a more lengthy visit.  But if we hadn't taken that particular cruise, we never would have known that we would eally like ithat place,  would we? We often look at our cruises as scouting trips for future land vacations.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mom says said:

I don't think anyone has said that a land vacation isn't superior to a one day port stop if you are interested on a deep dive into a specific place. However there are many places where I have been quite content with a one and done. Just as there are many places that we first encountered on a port stop and returned at a later date for a more lengthy visit.  But if we hadn't taken that particular cruise, we never would have known that we would eally like ithat place,  would we? We often look at our cruises as scouting trips for future land vacations.

Agree with you 100%.  Also, ships are a great way to visit relatively remote spots separated by considerable distance.  We did a B2B from Los Angeles to Peru then Peru to Rio de Janeiro.  It.# kind of tough to get land tours to Cape Horn area and Falkland Islands and prohibitively expensive to try and do these stops on your own.

On 6/21/2020 at 12:54 AM, deer stone said:

I have been on a couple cruises but one of my friends recommended trying back to back cruising... what are the benefits to this way of cruising? She got back from two back to back Norwegian Cruise Line cruises and said she would do it again in a heartbeat.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  We love B2B's or B3B's, (and S2S...side to side...as oppose to back to back...on S2S, you move to a different ship.)  As stated by others, our best benefit is the big savings on airfare. 😃

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  We love B2B's or B3B's, (and S2S...side to side...as oppose to back to back...on S2S, you move to a different ship.)  As stated by others, our best benefit is the big savings on airfare. 😃

...and a longer cruise. 😉

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  We love B2B's or B3B's, (and S2S...side to side...as oppose to back to back...on S2S, you move to a different ship.)  As stated by others, our best benefit is the big savings on airfare. [emoji2]

I like doing S2S Cruises, even if the ports are the same.

Because you get different entertainment, shows and activities on a different Cruise line.

On a B2B, the food, entertainment and activities are repeated and almost identical.

6 minutes ago, drsel said:

I like doing S2S Cruises, even if the ports are the same.

Because you get different entertainment, shows and activities on a different Cruise line.

On a B2B, the food, entertainment and activities are repeated and almost identical.

I agree with you.