What's up with October 2020?

Cruisesfun65

1 hour ago, TXCruisers1007 said:

Well, think about it this way...

October cruises not canceled as final payment is due soon.  Carnival is expecting folks to pay that final payment.  If cruise canceled, no final payment made, Carnival does not receive those funds.  So, why would they cancel?

Talked to the PVP, per that conversation:

Those booked for October and November cruises cannot make changes without incurring a penalty.

Does not matter the date of the booked cruise, if booked for October or November.

If the penalty is removed, allowing those booked for a cruise in either of those months, then any funds paid would be a future cruise credit and cannot be used as a deposit for a future cruise.

So, it appears that if you want to keep your deposit, one must make the final payment regardless of whether the cruise will happen or not.

If the penalty is removed, one is allowed to reschedule, an additional deposit would be required.

There are no deposit to deposit transfers allowed.

Regardless, Carnival is requiring additional funds, by either making final payment or requiring additional deposit in order to retain the deposit already paid.

Therefore, one has to make the decision as to whether they are willing to lose the deposit already paid or investing more funds in a cruise that probably won’t happen.

Considering the current state of affairs, a deposit to deposit transfer should be allowed.

I agree that is likely what their strategy is.  I am happy to lose my $100 deposit to not give Carnival $2k to play with until who knows when.  If they have not issued any concrete reason for why all of the 6+ day cruises are not showing for October or explain their plan regarding how they figure our Oct 25th cruise will actually sail then I will cancel and they can have the $100.

4 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

I agree that is likely what their strategy is.  I am happy to lose my $100 deposit to not give Carnival $2k to play with until who knows when.  If they have not issued any concrete reason for why all of the 6+ day cruises are not showing for October or explain their plan regarding how they figure our Oct 25th cruise will actually sail then I will cancel and they can have the $100.

Our deposit is $200 and not happy to lose it considering we shouldn’t have to. A simple deposit transfer is all that is needed, but then any additional funds required would be delayed. That would not work in their favor, so why do it?

Interesting that they require final payment on a cruise that they cannot commit to fulfilling.

Wonder how much interest they are making on all of the funds that they have received, are holding, either for not refunding for 90+ days or for those holding onto the hope that one day they will cruise.

• Like 1

Bermuda is just one of many Caribbean ports of call and not a good example as it is not one of the most frequently visited. 
The point I'm trying to make  - are the cruise lines going to test their guests after each port of call? Because it only takes 1 guest to get infected on shore to give it to crew members and other passengers on the ship.
Local authorities are in deliberations with the cruise lines in order to reach a decision on when to reopen for cruises.
So, it's not only the CDC advice that will dictate when cruising will resume, it's also based on when the ports of call are open to passenger ships again.
[/quoteYou are absolutely correct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

21 minutes ago, TXCruisers1007 said:

Interesting that they require final payment on a cruise that they cannot commit to fulfilling.

I am with you also. I hate to forfeit the deposit but after already rebooking cruises that were cancelled to next year with FCCs  I have zero confidence that the October cruises now missing from the website will sail and I will walk away from the deposit $$ rather than pay the balance due week after next. I am mostly disappointed that Carnival is not being honest and forthcoming with customers when they made the decision to remove those cruises from the website. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wesorbeth said:

It's kind of hard to believe EVERY 7 day cruise has sold out. 

The OP wanted suggestions, I gave her one. When you think of how many travelers have been affected and have rebooked, and that 7 days are very popular....Who knows.  We can all speculate and we can all be wrong.  All we can do is wait and see.  

Lol,  good job!  Well no worries there I know nothing about anything. and no one is going to let me be in charge of anything.   I just have a keyboard and internet and a IQ of about 70.  [emoji846]   

And a lot of humility

3 hours ago, TXCruisers1007 said:

Why wouldn’t they? The cruise lines want your money so they can provide refunds to others and remain solvent. It’s the classic textbook case of robbing Peter to pay Paul as they enjoy your interest-free loa  that will take 90+ days to refund to you.

Why wouldn’t they? The cruise lines want your money so they can provide refunds to others and remain solvent. It’s the classic textbook case of robbing Peter to pay Paul as they enjoy your interest-free loa  that will take 90+ days to refund to you.
Surely the Cruise lines want fresh money to defray their huge expenses of nearly 1.5 billion dollars every month (with zero income).

But why would they even bother to give refunds?
Is it possible that they can default on refunding passengers?
Or can they force everyone to take a future Cruise certificate and avoid any pay out of cash?

They can file bankruptcy, no? 

Curious, when they say 90 days do they mean work days or all days? This Sat will be 90 days for my HAL cruise to be refunded (90 all days not just work days).

Edited by laumicmah

I went to Expedia and they had a 7 day out of San Juan for mid-July.  RCCL has a bunch for October.  A Holland America ship (CCL owned) also has a 7 day out of Fort Lauderdale.  Fingers crossed it's just that they are keeping their numbers down.  

I believe the CDC and Coast Guard will allow passenger traffic from US ports in October. What is not know with any certainty is will foreign ports allow docking? I have a halloween cruise to Mexico, and right now the situation is bleak as the people are largely ignoring government rules and infections are getting ahead of the ability to deal with them.

My hope hinges on either a vaccine or the virus mutates to impotency  and is no longer a threat.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, Bostwick girl said:

I’m sure glad you’re NOT in charge! I’m over 70 and a heck of a lot healthier than most people I know, including my children! Here in Florida most of the cases these last few weeks are those below 35 or so who don’t bother to wear a mask or practice social distancing, they think they’re invincible!

LOL, you go girl 😄. . . I'm 80 and my doctor while gladly giving me "the letter" of months ago said I was healthier than half his patients at 50. 😊

• Like 3

Noticed that on my HAL California coast cruise, available new bookings have the final payment due in only a few days. However, I booked a few weeks ago and my final payment isn't due until mid-August. What significance do you think that has?

25 minutes ago, JB Books said:

Noticed that on my HAL California coast cruise, available new bookings have the final payment due in only a few days. However, I booked a few weeks ago and my final payment isn't due until mid-August. What significance do you think that has?

A push to get more money prior to announcing cancellations.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 6:19 PM, Lottacruises said:

So, I am more likely to  catch the virus by staying at home for weeks on end with the same people as opposed to traveling from house to house coming in contact with more and more people. Got it. Cruisers will be in the port they visit a few short hours meaning no risk at all to the locals. Understood now. Thanks for clearing that up. I hope carnival is smart enough to do just that, for all of our safety.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, Lottacruises said:

I thought you were suggesting 3 day cruises because you felt they would be safer. Now I'm seeing cruising should just be for those unafraid to live life. I guess those people like the 3 day cruises and not longer ones. Is that the reason you suggested carnival may do the short ones?

I actually agree with TNcruising on this one. I think that short cruises are the more likely route to cruising re-starting than longer ones. Not because they are safer. This has nothing to do with safety. Just like taking people's temperatures and sanitizing surfaces constantly have limited effects on safety (plenty of people are infected and spreading the virus pre-symptomatically, asymptomatically, or with symptoms that don't include a fever, and the CDC has already said that surface contamination isn't a primary source of spread). This is about looking safe, appearing safe to the CDC and the general public. The simple fact is that you can board a 10 day cruise without covid and be infected and symptomatic before you return. While that's occurring you are on board spreading the virus everywhere you go. Then the CDC jumps all over it and it's easy to see how many people the virus spread to on the ship. If you board a 3 day cruise without COVID, it's much less likely that you will get infected and become symptomatic before the cruise ends. You may catch it and be spreading it, but the same thing could happen at home. But they don't run into the issue where they have 70 people on one ship who started the trip healthy and are sick when they get back. That is what will ruin their re-start attempt and could get them shut back down. Again, nothing to do with actually preventing people from getting sick and outbreaks on ships. But if you catch COVID on the ship and return home, and then get sick, it's alot harder to point to it being caught on the ship.

• Like 2

I have an 8 day cruise to the ABC islands in October ( booked before Covid19). If the ship is allowed to sail, I do not believe these islands will allow us to dock. ABC islands appear to have control of the virus and why would they let a ship from the US dump 3000 or more people on shore. Much less 6000 people if there were 2 ships in port. Aruba is currently not letting US citizens fly to their country until mid July. With the spike in Covid 19, that could be extended. Does anyone want to go on an 8 day to nowhere cruise?  I suspect it will be cancelled. 

Also, I have not heard anyone discuss the referendum on the Nov ballot in FL to reduce the number of visitor by cruise ships to Key West to 1500 a day. If this passes, this will put a crimp in the # of ships and size that can visit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

Also, I have not heard anyone discuss the referendum on the Nov ballot in FL to reduce the number of visitor by cruise ships to Key West to 1500 a day. If this passes, this will put a crimp in the # of ships and size that can visit.

I have been following this and on the Key West page people have posted about it.  I have a January cruise going there (I hope) in January.  Key West is one of my most favorite ports.  If I hadn't actually gone there on a cruise, I don't know if I ever would have picked to go there on a land based quick get away weekend.  I do believe that it is a non-binding referendum.  So if it passes, it is letting their local officials know that they want changes. 

This isn't the first article I read on it, but it does give some information.  https://keysweekly.com/42/shape-up-or-ships-out-key-wests-cruise-ship-debate-heats-up/

We often go in the 4 day Key West Cozumel cruises because that is what fits into the schedule for the 4 of us.  We will miss Key West if it goes away.  I wonder what port will replace it?

Terry

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I think that short cruises are the more likely route to cruising re-starting than longer ones

I'm not sure, we will see. For passengers, they will be around potential carriers of the virus for shorter periods of time. Less likely to catch, sure.

For the cruise line, the guys that work at guys burgers, the stewards, the terminal workers though are all exposed to twice the amount of people in the same amount of time. Not to mention that if 3000 x 2 passengers board a ship, the odds are much more likely that one of them are infected than if "only" 3000 boarded. 

If I knew best though they would be asking me so I guess I will find out when everyone else does as to their course of action.