If I could travel tomorrow, I would go .....

lackcreativity

I am tired of thinking about all the things we can't do. If you didn't have to worry about vacation time and finances and viruses and established cruise itineraries, where would you go?

My own answer is easy: from Istanbul to Rome, with an itinerary that must include Ephesus, Rhodes, Santorini, Dubrovink, Taormina, and Valletta. Pre/Post extensions in Istanbul and the Ultimate Italy Umbria. Other ports as needed to complete the route. I think three weeks would be about right. 

P.S. Since I claimed finances were not a concern, let me add Business Class air to that scenario! Oh, and we would fly by way of Boston, to see family we haven't seen since Christmas.

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 1

I would simply follow through with the plans that I have already had my heart set on - besides the heartbreaking cruise that was already canceled this past March, I'd hope to do an extensive October fly /drive trip to the western states that was booked a year ago already, and then - what will be even more heartbreaking to maybe give up - the Viking inaugural sailing on the new Venus followed by a cruise around the Iberian peninsula. I'll tell you what - with what I'm hearing and seeing about people not masking / distancing as things reopen and the number of global cases surging to all -time highs, and also what's going on in FL and some of the western states, etc., I think we're lucky to resume cruising ANYTIME soon - and I'm talking into next year and beyond. To hope for otherwise seems like overly wishful thinking. Like I was told by an employee in a local store that I've been going to for 40 years, it's "back to business as usual with no masking or distancing". I couldn't believe it, especially since we're not even in the "green" phase here. Time will tell. But, if you want a more extensive list of places I'd be ready to go to right now, this could become a really long post!  My bucket list is deep, probably too deep for the reasonable span of years I have left to travel. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

The World Cruise is an interesting consideration for me. Since we have discovered Viking (our only cruise experience), I have been enthralled with the idea of it. In real life, it will never be an option for our budget, so I didn't have  to seriously consider what it would be like to undertake such an adventure. 

Given the parameters of my premise, with no work related restrictions and no budgetary constraints, I am still not certain if I would choose that for my hypothetical trip. I am more an old cities/ ancient ruins kind of girl than an island paradise sort (might be my aversion to wearing a bathing suit?), so the specific itinerary would definitely influence my decision. I do like sea days almost as much as port visits, so I guess if I won the golden ticket I would not turn it down!

8 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hope you get to do it 😇

To book every year would would require going back to work (perish the thought), or winning the lottery. Even the lottery would be tough, as I believe purchasing tickets might be a pre-requisite. 😁 We can but dream.

• Like 1

🤔 Indeed we can dream....of just being able to cruise again (in relative safety and reasonably free of being paranoid) would be good enough for me! As to the money part - I try to keep in mind the old saying..."can't take it with ya"..... I'm always reminded of a luxury yacht I saw one time in a harbor - with the name on the side "floating loan"  LOL   Have to agree on the going back to work part. I was a public school teacher - can't even imagine getting ready to go back under the current conditions!  

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

🤔 Yeah...but gotta keep in mind the old saying..."can't take it with ya"..... Have to agree on the going back to work part. I was a public school teacher - can't even imagine getting ready to go back under the current conditions!  

Chatting with the couple of neighbours that are teachers, they certainly agree. The one in the primary grades is at least doing some teaching, but the high school one describes it as baby-sitting teenagers.

For me a return is a non-starter, as being retired with no seatime for > 5 yrs, my Master's Certificate is no longer valid for use at sea. Would have to re-take some written exams and an oral, where the examiner probably would have a fraction of my Master's time, if any.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Chatting with the couple of neighbours that are teachers, they certainly agree. The one in the primary grades is at least doing some teaching, but the high school one describes it as baby-sitting teenagers.

I was in elementary instrumental music  - a unique situation compared to classroom work on any level since my program, though graded the same as any other class, was voluntary and thus tended to attract the 'better' kids. 

I have to feel for teachers who retired at the 'conclusion' of this past school term. My last year was quite memorable from start to finish, as it surely is for all retiring educators. But this time around - no final days with the kids, chances to say (in person) goodbyes, retirement banquet or party, etc. -  must have really put a damper on it. Several retirees shared stories in the local newspaper - a bit heart wrenching. In my case, it would have meant no last spring concert - which really would have been rather depressing. Locally the districts did come up with some rather novel ways of handling graduation ceremonies and made the best of it. Still, very odd. 

Interesting about your certificate expiration - probably true of many occupations that require various sorts of licensing. For us, if we were to return to service in the classroom - except on some sort of emergency need basis - it would void any continuing pension amounts. Makes sense. A non-issue for me - no plans to go back unless I do decide to book a few B2B world cruises in a top-level suite. 😁

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

Where we would choose is not a Viking stop but we did get there last October when Viking Sun stopped in Tortola. We love Jost van Dyke in the BVI. Private jet to STT then private yacht to Jost. Will stay there until we get tired of standing chest deep in calm, crystal clear water drinking beer and eating fresh seafood.😎🍺🍺🦞

Probably back to England, driving in a rental car to places we haven’t visited before. Or a land trip by rental car to Iceland. Our Viking cruise there inJune was canceled.
Norhing too exotic next trip. My favorite destination is Asia.

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Where we would choose is not a Viking stop but we did get there last October when Viking Sun stopped in Tortola. We love Jost van Dyke in the BVI. Private jet to STT then private yacht to Jost. Will stay there until we get tired of standing chest deep in calm, crystal clear water drinking beer and eating fresh seafood.😎🍺🍺🦞

Jim, funny that you mention Jost Van Dyke. My brother used to love to do bareboat charter - typically something like a 36' Pearson (at least that's what he always liked to charter out of Great Oak Landing in the Chesapeake) and sail around the BVI - often talked about the time they spent at JVD- highly recommended it as I recall. 

So now you have me curious...have you done it - by private jet, from AZ to STT as you referred to? Sounds pricey. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Haha, the rules of this thread are that money doesn't matter.  No private jets no matter how much I would like it.  We have been to JvD many times on board SeaDream ships.  And then the one time from Tortola last year.  Viking Sun WC. Took the local boat from Tortola to JvD for the day.  There are places to stay on Jost but no air, arrive by boat only.  Home of the World Famous Soggy Dollar Bar, Foxy's, and several other outstanding beach bars.  😎🍺

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, the rules of this thread are that money doesn't matter.  No private jets no matter how much I would like it.  We have been to JvD many times on board SeaDream ships.  And then the one time from Tortola last year.  Viking Sun WC. Took the local boat from Tortola to JvD for the day.  There are places to stay on Jost but no air, arrive by boat only.  Home of the World Famous Soggy Dollar Bar, Foxy's, and several other outstanding beach bars.  😎🍺

Ahh..I overlooked the part about finances not mattering. I may have to rethink my reply!

We were in Tortola once - as part of a B2B Caribbean cruise. It was a Sunday and so went to Catholic Mass. It's quite memorable in that it went 2+ hours. The local parishioners were very welcoming to visitors - had us stand and then sang a little song for us. Actually they sang for whomever was celebrating a birthday as well, among other instances of recognition. Actually rather humorous. Knew we were in trouble when the priest started the homily with a rather large water bottle. He sure made use of it too - since I think he went well over a half-hour non-stop. Always have been struck by how dressed up the local islanders always are for their church services, in rather stark (and sort of embarrassing contrast) to the people off the ship coming to church in their shorts and t-shirts 😯

Edited by OnTheJourney

For the budget-minded, though not a cruise, we did a fantastic driving trip through France a few years ago, staying away from Paris.

London-> St Malo via overnight ferry, picked up car in St Malo.

Normandy, D-day sites and sundry.

Loire Valley, wine, chateaus, and the best tank museum!
Sarlat and the prehistoric art caves

St Emilion

Fly out of Lyon.

You can make the trip as cheap or as swank as you want.

”Paris is not France!”

• Like 1

Ragnar....Independent travel and planning your own leisurely itinerary, I think, is always the best way to see anything.

How did you find the D-day sites? Have often thought of doing this being that my Dad was captured during the Bulge and so it'd be interesting to see some of the areas that his division was involved with. Were you at the American Cemetery? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Normandy D-day sites a very memorable experience.  And the people living there are very welcoming.

Every American should visit the American Cemetery there.  Not only is is a poignant reminder of the past, it is also stunningly beautiful.  As is all of Normandy, and Brittany.

Be sure to stay the night in a hotel within Mont Saint Michel.

We found Bayeux to be a good base camp for exploring Normandy.

if interested (and bored...) I did a rather tongue-in-cheek review of the trip starting here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1925144-idle-jottings/?do=findComment&comment=46574613

It is rather long and in multiple parts.  You will have to wade through the rather snide remarks from Jim Avery, ho-hum, and other usual suspects between the installments.  Good luck!

14 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Normandy D-day sites a very memorable experience.  And the people living there are very welcoming.

Every American should visit the American Cemetery there.  Not only is is a poignant reminder of the past, it is also stunningly beautiful.  As is all of Normandy, and Brittany.

Be sure to stay the night in a hotel within Mont Saint Michel.

We found Bayeux to be a good base camp for exploring Normandy.

The Brittany American Cemetary should not be missed either. And you might want to consider the Hotel Montgomery in Pontorson, once home to the Dukes of Montgomery (one of whom had the distinction of accidentally killing the French King in a joust). Very historic and quaint. Bayeux was of no strategic value and it's many fine examples of classic Norman architechure are original. Absolutely charming town - don't forget the Bayeux Tapestry and be sure to sip some Calvados. 

• Like 1