What I have learned today

Himself

8 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Why are people acting like 5-year old kids on Christmas Eve regarding the return of cruising?  The assumptions, wild guesses and illogical predictions are totally useless.

Breathe in, breathe out, buy a few good books, grab your favorite chair and relax.  The cruise lines, I am positive, will let us know when they are ready for us 😏

Thankfully we've moved everything to late 2021 and 2022 so we can relax and make non-cruising plans for next winter.  But lots of people here have thousand of dollars tied up in cruise bookings the next few months and want to discuss the current/future situation.  That said, you're right that all the speculation is useless 🙂

1 hour ago, seagarsmoker said:

So very sorry and sad to read this post. This will make two cruises cancelled this year.  😞  

I am sad , also. I, like you,  have lost two cruises over this thing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Ok, father, that'll be the end of the Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and future Rijndam...I hope..

I doubt that.   I just hope we do not lose the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam, the "Signature Sisters."

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Himself said:

I am sad , also. I, like you,  have lost two cruises over this thing.

Sorry to have read this as well.  I have always enjoyed your posts and I am sure you did not look forward to this posting!

Take care Father and I am sure we will be cruising next year!!! 🙂 

14 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Sorry to have read this as well.  I have always enjoyed your posts and I am sure you did not look forward to this posting!

Take care Father and I am sure we will be cruising next year!!! 🙂 

I sure hope so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

I don't understand certain groups or individuals getting an email with such important news, and no release from HAL.  You would think they would handle it better than this.

AOSUSA has to schedule and vet the chaplains. That requires a long lead time. I'd say it's a reputable and reliable source.

On the other hand, we can all hope and pray for a miracle cure and/or vaccine popping up and running all the bureaucratic trap-lines in the next few months. . . .  Anyone want to sell me a lakefront vacation home in Louisiana, sight unseen?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

AOSUSA has to schedule and vet the chaplains. That requires a long lead time. I'd say it's a reputable and reliable source.

On the other hand, we can all hope and pray for a miracle cure and/or vaccine popping up and running all the bureaucratic trap-lines in the next few months. . . .  Anyone want to sell me a lakefront vacation home in Louisiana, sight unseen?

You, my friend, are very correct and supportive. You understand the roll of AOS USA. 

One of the posters went to the HAL Web site and observed that HAL is not listing any cruises until December.

Thank you for this information Father!

We are booked on the holiday cruise to Antarctica but I strongly suspect that is not going to happen.  We've had four cruises canceled so far this year.  Going with cruising friends to the Smoky Mountains in September as one "Plan B" but we sure miss the gentle rocking of the ship as we get the best sleep ever on board.

All the best and hoping for a solution to this soon!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Himself said:

One of the posters went to the HAL Web site and observed that HAL is not listing any cruises until December.

Screen shot from just a few seconds ago

Note you can still select Sep - Dec 2020, and that the first cruise listed below the select screen is for Sep 27th

Screenshot from 2020-06-23 14-45-34.png

18 hours ago, Himself said:

I have learned today that Holland America and Seaborn are canceling ALL cruises through November 30, 2020.

I also learned that when they sail again HAL will have fewer ships and HAL will probably be a much smaller line.

This is what I learned late this afternoon. 

Not a surprise, look at the airlines all the intercontinental as well as domestic are making huge adjustments and expect the volume and business model to be radically different.

Cruising and vacation travel will be the same, sad evolving times.  Wished someone had ate that recently butchered animal another decade in the future, but was bound to happen sooner or later.

26 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

I don't doubt this is a reputable and reliable source!  My point is, this is a strange way for HAL to let the information trickle out.

23 minutes ago, Himself said:

You, my friend, are very correct and supportive. You understand the roll of AOS USA. 

I'm having a tough time right now with the "Re-Opening" guidelines. Here we have the risen Lord Jesus breathing on the apostles and thereby filling them with the new life and power of the Spirit, and yet we're supposed to see ourselves as emitting this noxious vapor cloud we have to protect each other from!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Screen shot from just a few seconds ago

Note you can still select Sep - Dec 2020, and that the first cruise listed below the select screen is for Sep 27th

Screenshot from 2020-06-23 14-45-34.png

That may be.  Just keep in mind that HAL also has this comment on the top of its page:

We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. 

About a week ago I read in a news article that Carnival (Big C Carnival - not the individual cruise line) that when cruising resumed that several of their cruise lines would have reduced ship numbers.  The release mentioned that 7 (or was it 8 😎had already been identified (not listed) but that more would probably be added to the list.  Sorry that I have no idea where I read this but it seemed to be a decent source from what I remember.  It was not on a private or little read source - but I simply do not remember the  details.  

56 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

That may be.  Just keep in mind that HAL also has this comment on the top of its page:

We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. 

Agreed, but the original assertion was that there were no listings until December

and I was just allowed to do a dummy booking on that Sep 27th cruise up to the point of making a payment.

Edited by richwmn

Folks,

Cruises will resume when the vaccines are out.  This is not something that HAL controls.  To argue over fine print and disclaimers on a cruise booking web page is laughable.

Having said that, I expect a big demand for vacations shortly afterwards.  The problem will be cruise companies having to scale up to meet the demand with limited cash and no crews.  It won't all come back in an instant. 

igraf

I would guess that the cruise lines don't want to cancel cruises until the last possible minute.  By letting people book cruises that may not happen, they keep everyone interested.  Also, it is that much longer that they can hold onto the money before having to issue refunds.

35 minutes ago, igraf said:

Folks,

Cruises will resume when the vaccines are out.  This is not something that HAL controls.  To argue over fine print and disclaimers on a cruise booking web page is laughable.

Having said that, I expect a big demand for vacations shortly afterwards.  The problem will be cruise companies having to scale up to meet the demand with limited cash and no crews.  It won't all come back in an instant. 

igraf

No vaccine has ever been approved for any coronavirus.

What happens then?

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

No vaccine has ever been approved for any coronavirus.

What happens then?

Let's expand the observation there are very few successful vaccines for airborne virus, so collectively you either believe the world's drug manufactures in pursuit of profit were sandbagging or ..

Let's see what happens with the explosions of cases, either deaths climb, or it was just another hoax and by miracle it'll just all be gone after all the old/poor/weak people and nursing home folks get buried.