More cancelstions

crusinbanjo

4 hours ago, Seas_The_Day said:

so from my perch... the USA is in another league as far as testing - almost 30m (russia 17m) and all the other countries far behind. many other countries are now using the testing technology that the USA so rapidly developed. the USA has successfully created manufacturing of hundreds of thousands of ventilators which we are now sharing with other nations who can't do what we do. we are also sending a lot of $$$ to lesser fortunate countries. and it's a safe bet that the first vaccine will come from the US as a result of our "warp speed' program which is a creative approach that will for the first time allow a vaccine to be created this quickly (dr. fauci words - not me saying this).

as for our response to the virus - we are a diverse country of over 330m people with large borders and 50 individual entities that govern themselves - and most importantly we have something we treasure called "freedom".

see attached chart - our death rate is declining nicely, average age of positive test has dropped in half. this is exactly how the virus is supposed to behave as it resolves itself. # of positive test results are meaningless 

i know it's fashionable to knock the USA - but wise people know better

download (5).png

Interesting use of statistics. What's the old saying "Statistics and da*n lies" as it is interesting how they can be manipulated. 

We are cancelling our trip to the States at the end of the year as we are concerned about the rising infection rates there.  The death rate is not the only important number here. We are hoping that there will be an Australia/ New Zealand bubble and we can take a cruise within that bubble. Otherwise we will look forward to our cruise next year in the Kimberley with a local company.

According to my TA and others I have spoken to here in Australia our feelings are not unusual.

Julie

38 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

so from my perch... the USA is in another league as far as testing - almost 30m (russia 17m) and all the other countries far behind. many other countries are now using the testing technology

Unfortunately you are making the same mistake that our President is making.

The total number of tests taken alone is meaningless. What matters is the percentage of the population that was tested.

With about 30M tests we have tested less than 10% of our population.

By comparison, Portugal has performed only1 M tests but has a population of only 10 M.

Thus with only 1 M tests (far less than our 30 M) they have tested about the same percentage of their population. That is the number that matters.

I wish someone had the courage to explain this to our President before he calls for further reduction in testing.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

But unfortunately you are correct when you say “the USA is in another league as far as testing”

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Unfortunately you are making the same mistake that our President is making.

The total number of tests taken alone is meaningless. What matters is the percentage of the population that was tested.

With about 30M tests we have tested less than 10% of our population.

By comparison, Portugal has performed only1 M tests but has a population of only 10 M.

Thus with only 1 M tests (far less than our 30 M) they have tested about the same percentage of their population. That is the number that matters.

I wish someone had the courage to explain this to our President.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

But unfortunately you are correct when you say “the USA is in another league as far as testing”

Paul I think you misread my post. The section you quoted was part of what I quoted by Seas The Day.

I agree with you and disagree with Seas the Day...the numbers he quoted do not stack up. Even Dr Fauci on Tuesday expressed his concern with the rising case numbers. Hopefully there won't be a corresponding rise in deaths in the weeks to come.

Testing is considered very important here in Australia to ensure we pick up up problem quickly and try and stop the problem. The State of Victoria has had a week of double digit case numbers with today the worst at 33. They have ramped up testing and started to return to restrictions. Other States are keeping their borders closed. 

Julie

14 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Paul I think you misread my post. The section you quoted was part of what I quoted by Seas The Day.

I agree with you and disagree with Seas the Day...the numbers he quoted do not stack up. Even Dr Fauci on Tuesday expressed his concern with the rising case numbers. Hopefully there won't be a corresponding rise in deaths in the weeks to come

frantic36 - my sincere apologies. My bad.

I indeed misquoted you and should have quoted Seas the Day

Edited by Paulchili

13 hours ago, Seas_The_Day said:

so from my perch... the USA is in another league as far as testing - almost 30m (russia 17m) and all the other countries far behind. many other countries are now using the testing technology that the USA so rapidly developed. the USA has successfully created manufacturing of hundreds of thousands of ventilators which we are now sharing with other nations who can't do what we do. we are also sending a lot of $$$ to lesser fortunate countries. and it's a safe bet that the first vaccine will come from the US as a result of our "warp speed' program which is a creative approach that will for the first time allow a vaccine to be created this quickly (dr. fauci words - not me saying this).

as for our response to the virus - we are a diverse country of over 330m people with large borders and 50 individual entities that govern themselves - and most importantly we have something we treasure called "freedom".

see attached chart - our death rate is declining nicely, average age of positive test has dropped in half. this is exactly how the virus is supposed to behave as it resolves itself. # of positive test results are meaningless 

i know it's fashionable to knock the USA - but wise people know better

download (5).png

Yes, we treasure the freedom to kill ourselves and each other. Some would call it insanity, rather than freedom.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Seas_The_Day said:

so from my perch... the USA is in another league as far as testing - almost 30m (russia 17m) and all the other countries far behind. many other countries are now using the testing technology that the USA so rapidly developed.

Please see my reply to you above (post#27) which I originally tagged to another poster by mistake.

My answer was meant for you.

As a US citizen (who had the joy of living in England for 6 years) I can say, we are not perfect and we don't always get it right.  One of my favorite sayings in the Bible is "There is no greater love than this but to lay down one's life for a friend."  We have done that many times in the past, and I hope we will continue to do so in the future.  THAT is what we do best.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jjs217 said:

"There is no greater love than this but to lay down one's life for a friend."  We have done that many times in the past, and I hope we will continue to do so in the future.

? How many times have you laid down your life for a friend and how many lives do you have left?

Not sure what any of that means - can you explain please.

• Like 1

I'm talking about the lives of our countrymen who have gone and fought and lost their lives for people in other countries.  I pray that we continue to be selfless and always help our friends in time of need - even if it means dying for them.  

• Like 1

The point I was trying to make - and failed at - was that the US may have not been perfect in their handling of the Covid-10 virus, but when all is said and done - we will be generous and help the world.  It's what we do.

It would be wrong to lump all of the U.S. instead of watching the stats from individual states.   Many states did heed the warning including my own, Maryland.   Our cases have severely dropped.    We have had all non essential businesses closed through 5/30.    All businesses are still not open and we still have to wear masks in public.  Everyone, except for protesters, has complied.   Our governor is still dragging his feet on opening libraries, museums, and state and county offices.   Our church, Episcopal, is still closed through the summer although there is online worship.

11 hours ago, jjs217 said:

The point I was trying to make - and failed at - was that the US may have not been perfect in their handling of the Covid-10 virus, but when all is said and done - we will be generous and help the world.  It's what we do.

'America first' is what the vast majority in the US do....according to your president!

11 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

It would be wrong to lump all of the U.S. instead of watching the stats from individual states.   Many states did heed the warning including my own, Maryland.   Our cases have severely dropped.    We have had all non essential businesses closed through 5/30.    All businesses are still not open and we still have to wear masks in public.  Everyone, except for protesters, has complied.   Our governor is still dragging his feet on opening libraries, museums, and state and county offices.   Our church, Episcopal, is still closed through the summer although there is online worship.

You are so fortunate to live in a state which has heeded what the experts have advised.  Living in Texas has pretty much been a nightmare.  We have a conscientious county judge who is constantly being mocked and assailed by our governor because he has urged the public to do certain things.  As a result of the governor not taking more stringent measures, our state is in trouble. It's a little like being trapped in a repeating movie.  My husband and I feel very fortunate that we are retired, have nice homes to retreat to, etc.  What we really want is to get back to cruising!  Unfortunately, the way things are going--and because others cannot seem to follow expert advice, we will have to suffer along with them.  I really resent the current administration trying to paint a rosy picture when it is anything but.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hamrag said:

'America first' is what the vast majority in the US do....according to your president!

Too many in the United States  have a warped idea of what America First really means --and actually, for some, it is more of a "me first" attitude.  But Hamrag, please don't judge us all by what you see in the news.  The loudest, most crass citizens get the most press.  The majority of Americans are appalled about what is happening and doing their best.  But, we are all at home, so you don't see us!  Thinking about cruising (in my daydreams) today.  I am reminded that two years ago we were on a SB Baltic cruise and one year ago, we had just returned from Kobe to Vancouver.  Great memories.  

• Like 3

My comment above may be unclear.  I reread it and realized that it is not evident what I am talking about.  I should have said that most Americans are appalled at how the virus has been handled here.  We understand the importance of wearing masks in public.  But, what you see on the news is the people saying they have a First Amendment right not to wear them.  Our public health system, if we ever had one, is in a shambles and we have no leadership at the top.  Meanwhile, I am dreaming  of cruising on day 105 of staying at home. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 10:27 AM, Fletcher said:

Given that Seabourn (other cruise lines are available) must plan several months ahead, and given the total uncertainty vis-a-vis flights, ports of call etc, especially in the Americas, I really cannot see any cruises being run until deep into 2021.  I now believe the Quest's last trip to Antarctica was the Quest's last trip to Antarctica. 

That saddens us as we are booked this coming January on the Quest to Antarctica but can't see us going - we are over 60 and will not put ourselves at risk flying with hundreds of other people in close proximity and to South America which is having a terrible time with Covid19. Add the fact that we are unsure that we will be able to purchase insurance for a trip to a region where the nearest land with decent medical services is days away and the whole idea of a cruise to Antarctica becomes a no-no. It breaks my heart as it was my dream cruise! We don't want to transfer our booking onto one of the new Venture ships either as we wanted the Chilean fjords experience too. Hope Seabourn will be kind to us in allowing us to transfer our deposit onto something else that we really want. We will wait and see.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:19 AM, SLSD said:

You are so fortunate to live in a state which has heeded what the experts have advised.  Living in Texas has pretty much been a nightmare.  We have a conscientious county judge who is constantly being mocked and assailed by our governor because he has urged the public to do certain things.  As a result of the governor not taking more stringent measures, our state is in trouble. It's a little like being trapped in a repeating movie.  My husband and I feel very fortunate that we are retired, have nice homes to retreat to, etc.  What we really want is to get back to cruising!  Unfortunately, the way things are going--and because others cannot seem to follow expert advice, we will have to suffer along with them.  I really resent the current administration trying to paint a rosy picture when it is anything but.  

Ditto, same problem with our gov in Florida.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Not Nice...even I know that was a put down.

That is not necessarily true.  It is a very nuanced phrase.

If it is said with compassion, it is a way for a well bred southern lady to express pity.

If it is said with sarcasm, it is a way for a southern woman to express disagreement or disappointment.

If it is said with derision, it is a way for a good ol' southern gal to express "blank" yourself and the horse you rode in on.

I consider myself to be one of the three above.

2 hours ago, cruzluvers said:

Ditto, same problem with our gov in Florida.

Right now, it is very difficult to get tested in Dallas--and if you do get tested, you will be waiting over a week for results.  Meanwhile, the White House is trying to cut federal funding for testing in Texas.  It is becoming a dire situation which will contribute to deaths in the state.  

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

That is not necessarily true.  It is a very nuanced phrase.

If it is said with compassion, it is a way for a well bred southern lady to express pity.

If it is said with sarcasm, it is a way for a southern woman to express disagreement or disappointment.

If it is said with derision, it is a way for a good ol' southern gal to express "blank" yourself and the horse you rode in on.

I consider myself to be one of the three above.

How does one tell here on CC how it was said? In writing it all sounds the same to me.

Well, it was quite predictable.I am not surprised at all. I only wish that this information was widely available to everyone so that people could plan their vacations and cruises. Sometime this information comes way too late and then people face refunds and etc. I really hope that there wont be any cancellations in the near future

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

How does one tell here on CC how it was said? In writing it all sounds the same to me.

2 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Ah, isn't that the point? You get to pick or guess😉

Hahaha - you get it!!!  I think some people take postings on this board way too seriously.

• Like 1