More cancelstions

crusinbanjo

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am anxious for testing to see if you have antibodies for COVID 19.   In Maryland the only tests available, with a physicians note, are to see if you currently have COVID 19.   This does nothing for you as you can be negative one day and positive the next.  

The state of New York has the antibody test widely available.  Our son lives there and received it.  And yes, he had the antibodies.  Still no guarantee that he could not contract the virus again.  So many unknowns with this virus--and I think these unknowns will affect the cruising industry.  

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am anxious for testing to see if you have antibodies for COVID 19.   In Maryland the only tests available, with a physicians note, are to see if you currently have COVID 19.   This does nothing for you as you can be negative one day and positive the next.  

Patient First Centers in Maryland are reportedly offering antibody tests on a walk in basis. No doctor's orders required, covered by most health insurance.

I really wouldn't get too sanguine about antibodies tests. They offer no real assurance about any protection against the virus. This is from the CDC website.

• A positive test result shows you might have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.
  • Having antibodies to the virus that causes COVID-19 might provide protection from getting infected with the virus again. If it does, we do not know how much protection the antibodies might provide or how long this protection might last.

The italics are mine.

Edited by norm2002
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t place a lot of stock in the antibody tests meaning anything because:

* There is no proof having antibodies prevents you from testing positive again.  I know someone who was hospitalized in March and later tested clear after being discharged who contracted it again in June. (And yes, that story was all over the news a couple of weeks ago.)

* There are numerous reports of patients who were positive in March who have been tested for antibodies and have none (particularly asymptomatic infected)

* The virus has already mutated into strains and there is some thought among immunologists that there could be seasonality to this, like the flu, but it will be a couple of years before that is known.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, hoya68 said:

Patient First Centers in Maryland are reportedly offering antibody tests on a walk in basis. No doctor's orders required, covered by most health insurance.

For what it is worth (no cost for insured patients) I got an antibody test yesterday from Patient First. Just walked in an registered. Results will be texted in a few days.

Well, it's official.  Travelers from the United States will be barred from entering EU countries in Europe.  Don't plan on a cruise including any of these countries anytime soon if you are a US citizen living in the United States.  Of course this may further damage the cruising industry as US travelers make up a large percentage of guests for a number of cruise lines, including Seabourn.   https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/world/europe/eu-reopening-blocks-us-travelers.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes&fbclid=IwAR1BwynHZB-n3aYGgppGD40eYxcYtwLAR2DRXMqQ56ggycdVJlVg_q66GSw&fbclid=IwAR26f9E_tiKHz5q3jgq19H1iuBubS8DPzmcE_AHMQcaOEpU6zMtaoaRYZAc

Edited by SLSD

59 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Well, it's official.  Travelers from the United States will be barred from entering EU countries in Europe.  Don't plan on a cruise including any of these countries anytime soon if you are a US citizen living in the United States.  Of course this may further damage the cruising industry as US travelers make up a large percentage of guests for a number of cruise lines, including Seabourn.   https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/world/europe/eu-reopening-blocks-us-travelers.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes&fbclid=IwAR1BwynHZB-n3aYGgppGD40eYxcYtwLAR2DRXMqQ56ggycdVJlVg_q66GSw&fbclid=IwAR26f9E_tiKHz5q3jgq19H1iuBubS8DPzmcE_AHMQcaOEpU6zMtaoaRYZAc

Unfortunately I do not have a subscription to NYT - is there a time limit when this ban expires (currently)?

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Unfortunately I do not have a subscription to NYT - is there a time limit when this ban expires (currently)?

According to the article, there will be a reassessment every two weeks.  Also: " Exceptions are also being made for travelers from countries outside the safe list, including health care workers, diplomats, humanitarian workers, transit passengers, asylum seekers and students, as well as “passengers traveling for imperative family reasons” and foreign workers whose employment in Europe is deemed essential."

19 minutes ago, SLSD said:

According to the article, there will be a reassessment every two weeks.  Also: " Exceptions are also being made for travelers from countries outside the safe list, including health care workers, diplomats, humanitarian workers, transit passengers, asylum seekers and students, as well as “passengers traveling for imperative family reasons” and foreign workers whose employment in Europe is deemed essential."

Thank you.

As I do not intend to cruise this year, I was hoping the ban would be longer and that would cancel my flight to Rome w/o any penalties. It may still happen.

9 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Thank you.

As I do not intend to cruise this year, I was hoping the ban would be longer and that would cancel my flight to Rome w/o any penalties. It may still happen.

It could well happen Paul.  When is your flight to Rome?  We are all in this together and want the virus to be vanquished so that we can resume our normal lives and enjoy cruising again.  Right now, we are on approximately day 109 for staying at home.  We are among the more fortunate in that we have multiple houses and venues (all drivable in under two hours) to shelter in.  We are happy and secure.  But, my thoughts go to those who have to go to work, work on the frontlines, and so many other situations.  We need leadership, a continuity in messaging, and treatments and vaccines.  I'll be watching the travel ban to EU countries from the United States.  Hope all of you are well and safe.  

58 minutes ago, SLSD said:

It could well happen Paul.  When is your flight to Rome?  We are all in this together and want the virus to be vanquished so that we can resume our normal lives and enjoy cruising again.  Right now, we are on approximately day 109 for staying at home.  We are among the more fortunate in that we have multiple houses and venues (all drivable in under two hours) to shelter in.  We are happy and secure.  But, my thoughts go to those who have to go to work, work on the frontlines, and so many other situations.  We need leadership, a continuity in messaging, and treatments and vaccines.  I'll be watching the travel ban to EU countries from the United States.  Hope all of you are well and safe.  

Glad to hear that you are doing well as are we - let's keep it that way 🙂

Our flight was to be in early Nov to Rome - will not cancel now and wait to see what happens..

• Like 1

Good luck for those of you in states with huge increases in COVID cases.   Guess the precautions, if there were any, did not work.    We have been doing well in Maryland but they only recently allowed some places to open and masks have been and continue to be required in public areas.   Our county, Calvert, although a very low risk area,  is even more conservative in allowing openings.   No sign of a Phase 3.    Still without libraries and museums.  

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Good luck for those of you in states with huge increases in COVID cases.   Guess the precautions, if there were any, did not work.    We have been doing well in Maryland but they only recently allowed some places to open and masks have been and continue to be required in public areas.   Our county, Calvert, although a very low risk area,  is even more conservative in allowing openings.   No sign of a Phase 3.    Still without libraries and museums.  

As in most things, good leadership is essential. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Guess the precautions, if there were any, did not work.

Precautions is one thing - compliance is a totally different matter, unfortunately.

Some people believe that First amendment & civil liberties mean that they can do ANYTHING they want.

Best laid plans......

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 3:35 PM, SLSD said:

Most unfortunate, but hardly surprising given the number of states (including TX) with high COVID-19 spikes recorded! Europe would be unable to separate the states with well managed levels, and have no option but to treat all of USA as a 'no come' for the foreseeable future.