What tour have you done that blew you away?

ilikeanswers

On 6/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you do an Alaskan floatplane ride, insist on a de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver (the classic) before they're all gone. And, FWIW, skip the glacial helicopter ride and save that money for the Napali Coast if/when you go to Kauai.

The crab feast & flightseeing on a Beaver (radial engined, not a PT6 conversion) from the George Inlet Lodge was outstanding.  Heck, everything we did in AK was outstanding.  Great hikes.  Cool train rides.  Calving glaciers.  Whale watching.  Coming across a Kodiak bear the size of a VW on a hike (with lead and trail guys carrying rifles).  One of the best trips in my life.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took a float plane inland in Alaska to watch bears fishing for salmon in a stream.  The scenery was awesome, the bears very close.  The guide carried a rifle.  It was a rough flight, though.  A couple people got sick.

• Thanks 1

I very much enjoyed touring the Colosseum in Rome  and was  amazed at the Acropolis in Athens.     InAlaska,  our

tour at Mendenhall Glacier  was terrific ,

Vatican museum.. fabulous world treasures !

57 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

The Maritime Museum in Halifax(Atlantic Canada)

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

Vatican museum.. fabulous world treasures !

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

I very much enjoyed touring the Colosseum in Rome 

Yes, Yes, and another Yes to all of those choices, sail7seas!

48 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, Yes, and another Yes to all of those choices, sail7seas!

Thanks,   🙂

So many incredible  places and things to  see.  Our

world truly is beautiful when  we open our eyes wide and look

I am particularly partial to ships' bells.  Halifax Maritime Museum  has a wonderful collection of ships'  bells.

• Like 1

We did an all day (9 hours) tour in Copenhagen last year that was outstanding.  We stopped at various spots around the city and then made our way to a picturesque fishing village where we did a walking tour.  The tour guide was the most amazing individual.   She was a retired first grade teacher and she had a story for every place we visited.  The whole day was engaging, interesting and fun.

We also went off roading in the Yukon on an Alaskan cruise.  WOW...what a trip!  The scenery was gorgeous and off roading was a lot of fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean s said:

We did an all day (9 hours) tour in Copenhagen last year that was outstanding.  We stopped at various spots around the city and then made our way to a picturesque fishing village where we did a walking tour.  The tour guide was the most amazing individual.   She was a retired first grade teacher and she had a story for every place we visited.  The whole day was engaging, interesting and fun.

We also went off roading in the Yukon on an Alaskan cruise.  WOW...what a trip!  The scenery was gorgeous and off roading was a lot of fun.

Copenhagen is a terrific city, including a great walking city.   I like being in a place with a friendly feel too.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

Copenhagen is a terrific city, including a great walking city.   I like being in a place with a friendly feel too.   

Good morning........that is your city.........I LOVE San Francisco!😀

• Thanks 1

Many years ago my wind quintet did three cultural exchange trips (well, two; East Africa and Tokyo, and a paid vacation to Sandals properties in Jamaica...).
Favorite from Nairobi: played a western concert at Kawangware Primary School, followed by their drumming/dancing performance for us. Definitely received much more than we gave at that one.

First (of only two ever) cruise, Baltic, July. Walking out on deck into the sunset and realizing it is well past midnight!!!!!! Favorite shore trip was Copenhagen, walking around the city, with the goal of visiting the Georg Jensen silversmith shop to replace a dolphin pin my mother-in-law had recently lost. THEY HAD IT!!!! We gave it to her at dinner that night-- the whole adult generation of her family and her companion's family. She wept. I'll never forget being able to give that to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 11:25 PM, jean s said:

Copenhagen is one of my favorite cities,  Tivoli is so fun !!!!!, clean, organized and moderately sized.....  I found the  carriage museum in Copenhagen, delightful to tour though rarely mentioned.  

If possible for you,  consider staying  at Fabulous, historical hotel,  Great location and service is out of this world.   Hotel  d'  Angleterre..

We did several hotel stays in Copenhagen and loved our times there, we then sailed out of  Copen hagen on a 14-16 day cruise..  Great !

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Tour of Christ Church College at Oxford.  My brother in law’s cousin was a resident don - we spent the day exploring the College, it’s libraries and surrounding city.  Wasn’t exactly cruise-related - but was the day before boarding QM2 for return crossing.

Spent a couple of days in Oxford in 2017, Christ Church College was the first one we toured, it was amazing. The dinning hall was amazing, especially the portraits going back hundreds of years. The Bodleian Library was also an amazing tour.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 5:30 AM, Lois R said:

Thanks LoisR.  I worked in SF for 36 years.  The last 10 were about 2 blocks from the Ferry Building.  I've been retired now for over 8 years.   Kind of funny, we took a round trip California Coastal out of Los Angeles.  One of the ports was San Francisco.  I ended up taking the street car to my office and worked for a couple hours.   Wasn't one of my best excursions!  Haha  

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:30 AM, Lois R said:

Lois R:

I love San Francisco too.My first time there was 1970.I have approximately 50 pictures of the city.The next time I was there was 1999 and it still was wonderful,I came back in 2002 but have not been there since.I have 2 close friends living in Berkeley .

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

Thanks LoisR.  I worked in SF for 36 years.  The last 10 were about 2 blocks from the Ferry Building.  I've been retired now for over 8 years.   Kind of funny, we took a round trip California Coastal out of Los Angeles.  One of the ports was San Francisco.  I ended up taking the street car to my office and worked for a couple hours.   Wasn't one of my best excursions!  Haha  

I wonder how many people who worked for one company a great many years ever go back there ?

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Lois R:

I love San Francisco too.My first time there was 1970.I have approximately 50 pictures of the city.The next time I was there was 1999 and it still was wonderful,I came back in 2002 but have not been there since.I have 2 close friends living in Berkeley .

1970?  You were there during some hippie days😀.  I was only 12 in 1970 but my middle sister was part of that era

too....she was 19 at the time.   The first time I visited was the late 90s and I stayed in a B&B right on Ashbury........

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

1970?  You were there during some hippie days😀.  I was only 12 in 1970 but my middle sister was part of that era

too........she was 19 at the time!   The first time I visited was the late 90s and I stayed in a B&B right on Ashbury........

My wife and I went by Greyhound bus from Brooklyn NY to Los Angeles .We spent a week there then took a bus to SF and spent a week there.Then we took a Greyhound bus to Manhattan.The bused stopped for refueling in a total of 43 cities.We saw so much of the US but never did anything like that again.

There were a lot of guys with long hair and beards in SF but not that much in LA.

14 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife and I went by Greyhound bus from Brooklyn NY to Los Angeles .We spent a week there then took a bus to SF and spent a week there.Then we took a Greyhound bus to Manhattan.The bused stopped for refueling in a total of 43 cities.We saw so much of the US but never did anything like that again.

There were a lot of guys with long hair and beards in SF but not that much in LA.

WOW....that must have been quite a 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!

42 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I wonder how many people who worked for one company a great many years ever go back there ?

I thought I would stay more connected but truth be told once I was no longer part of the fabric, I had no desire to stay in touch.   Other that is than a lunch every once in a while with friends I used to work with.  

25 minutes ago, Lois R said:

WOW....that must have been quite a 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!

It was close to 3 weeks by the time we got back home, I cannot recall how I was able to get so much time off from work as I had only been employed by the company less than two years.

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I thought I would stay more connected but truth be told once I was no longer part of the fabric, I had no desire to stay in touch.   Other that is than a lunch every once in a while with friends I used to work with.  

I worked for one company 25 years .I last worked there in 1996.I am still in contact with 3 people via phone and e-mail.

i am still in contact with people that I went to school with,including one from Kindergarden.