Oceania refuses to refund

karenbalk

4 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Plus 1

Jancruz1

Yes Jan. Some folks don't realize that, with Oceania's history of approx 5,000 people on O cruise ships daily (or, using a 10-14 day average cruise length, a quarter million potentially DIFFERENT customers per year), OP and 1000 of his/her friends would still be a rounding error in the Oceania bottom line.

Hopefully, anyone who thinks that O has done a "piss poor job with service and PR during these last months" will attempt to prove their point  with a decision to never cruise on Oceania again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes Jan. Some folks don't realize that, with Oceania's history of approx 5,000 people on O cruise ships daily (or, using a 10-14 day average cruise length, a quarter million potentially DIFFERENT customers per year), OP and 1000 of his/her friends would still be a rounding error in the Oceania bottom line.

Hopefully, anyone who thinks that O has done a "piss poor job with service and PR during these last months" will attempt to prove their point  with a decision to never cruise on Oceania again.

Ah, I'm so glad to see you back in your usual chair. 

I guess you haven't heard the expression "what have you done for me lately?"

4 hours ago, clo said:

I think O has done a piss-poor job with service and PR during these last months.

Unlike all the other cruise lines   ..right ?

🙄

I was in sales & most people that threaten never to use your service  again usually show up  again

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Unlike all the other cruise lines   ..right ?

🙄

I was in sales & most people that threaten never to use your service  again usually show up  again

I was in medical sales so that might have been different.

Re other cruise lines, it seems that O wants to be regarded better than the mass market ones. Are the ones 'like' O being as tardy and uncommunicative? Then shame on them also.

24 minutes ago, clo said:

Re other cruise lines, it seems that O wants to be regarded better than the mass market ones. Are the ones 'like' O being as tardy and uncommunicative? Then shame on them also.

well before you throw accusations around  maybe do some research

just read some of the other cruise lines forums 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

well before you throw accusations around  maybe do some research

just read some of the other cruise lines forums 

I guess you're saying that they're all pretty much the same. That says a lot. Ain't that a shame.

8 hours ago, clo said:

I guess you're saying that they're all pretty much the same. That says a lot. Ain't that a shame.

seriously 😲

Do you live in a bubble ?

Have you looked  at the news lately   we are in a pandemic  people are not working

Even though I am retired  I know  that

Unbelievable

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

seriously 😲

Do you live in a bubble ?

Have you looked  at the news lately   we are in a pandemic  people are not working

Even though I am retired  I know  that

Unbelievable

I was referring to boards about other cruise lines...which I don't read. I'm an info junkie and read probably way TOO much.  I accept your coming apology in advance.

• Haha 1

I was going on that same cruise. Some friends and us flew to Lima in the week before.  BEFORE we left we we weighed the pros and cons and made a calculated decision to go. One of the cons was that the cruise could be canceled. While we were there no new information showed up that we didn't know when we left.  When the cruise was canceled, that Friday the 13th, we booked a flight that next Monday, the day the airport closed (happily getting out).  Trying not to be mean or cruel, but from where I sit, it seems that those folks made a really poor choice to travel, one of them was even "immune compromised".  I feel for them, but if the Marina had sailed on schedule, wouldn't they be out the entire cost of the cruise with no future credit?  They came within 2 days of that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

I was going on that same cruise. Some friends and us flew to Lima in the week before.  BEFORE we left we we weighed the pros and cons and made a calculated decision to go. One of the cons was that the cruise could be canceled. While we were there no new information showed up that we didn't know when we left.  When the cruise was canceled, that Friday the 13th, we booked a flight that next Monday, the day the airport closed (happily getting out).  Trying not to be mean or cruel, but from where I sit, it seems that those folks made a really poor choice to travel, one of them was even "immune compromised".  I feel for them, but if the Marina had sailed on schedule, wouldn't they be out the entire cost of the cruise with no future credit?  They came within 2 days of that.

Thanks for this ... your timeline is very similar to the OP’s parents. 

If the cruise was cancelled on the 13th .... I wonder when the OP’s parents cancelled their cruise. 

It would be very interesting to hear the OP’s timeline of events to help us see what happened. 

17 hours ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

I was going on that same cruise. Some friends and us flew to Lima in the week before.  BEFORE we left we we weighed the pros and cons and made a calculated decision to go. One of the cons was that the cruise could be canceled. While we were there no new information showed up that we didn't know when we left.  When the cruise was canceled, that Friday the 13th, we booked a flight that next Monday, the day the airport closed (happily getting out). 

So you were in Lima   & they cancelled  before   embarkation  day?

I  guess  O cancelled when the  ship was not allowed to dock??

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

Thanks for this ... your timeline is very similar to the OP’s parents. 

If the cruise was cancelled on the 13th .... I wonder when the OP’s parents cancelled their cruise. 

It would be very interesting to hear the OP’s timeline of events to help us see what happened. 

This whole sad fiasco was the result of not understanding the  terms of travel... 

When YOU cancel the entire liability is yours .........100% and you agree to accept that  The end of the relation and contract   O  thus owes nothing because of YOUR conscious  , deliberate decision

When O cancels it is entirely THEIR  liability  ...100%. 

An expensive lesson that many can learn from.  

They way I remember it, on that Fri (the 13th) there was a lot of conflicting info flying around. O was still telling some that the cruise was on, someone on Marina reported the captain said that they would dock, drop passengers then head head north with the only the crew, someone in Lima at a hotel with O staff said the cruise was on then later got info it was probably off. Finally at some point later that day we determined there would be no cruise and booked a flight home. Before we left on Mon morning (the 16th), we followed the story of the ship at sea as it headed towards the canal.  We never canceled because until Fri we felt that the cruise would happen (although with probably fewer ports and possibly issues with flights in Argentina). Things were very fluid in Peru that weekend.   🤪

6 minutes ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

They way I remember it, on that Fri (the 13th) there was a lot of conflicting info flying around. O was still telling some that the cruise was on, someone on Marina reported the captain said that they would dock, drop passengers then head head north with the only the crew, someone in Lima at a hotel with O staff said the cruise was on then later got info it was probably off. Finally at some point later that day we determined there would be no cruise and booked a flight home. Before we left on Mon morning (the 16th), we followed the story of the ship at sea as it headed towards the canal.  We never canceled because until Fri we felt that the cruise would happen (although with probably fewer ports and possibly issues with flights in Argentina). Things were very fluid in Peru that weekend.   🤪

I think  Peru  decide  not to allow the ship to dock  many passenger  were still onboard until Miami

Maybe someone  on the cruise that was  rerouted  will comment

It was a bad  situation in March  where  things were changing  daily maybe even hourly

Good thing you were able to get home 

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

This whole sad fiasco was the result of not understanding the  terms of travel... 

When YOU cancel the entire liability is yours .........100% and you agree to accept that  The end of the relation and contract   O  thus owes nothing because of YOUR conscious  , deliberate decision

When O cancels it is entirely THEIR  liability  ...100%. 

An expensive lesson that many can learn from.  

If you had read my earlier reply you would know that you don’t need italics to help me understand 😉

We were on the last cruise of the Marina before the shutdown.  We had been on since January when we boarded in Miami.  We were to disembark in Lima where the ship was to pick up new passengers and head south.  The day before we were to disembark in Lima we were scheduled to stop in Pesco, Peru.  Things were getting a little “dicey” but until that scheduled stop in Pesco we were under the understanding that we would have a day and Pesco and sail overnight to Lima for disembarkation. 

I Remember waking up that morning and looking out and thinking “ the sun is not where it is suppose to be” and land was no where in sight.  We were not going to Pesco and we were heading south.  That morning we were advised by the Captain that Peru had closed all their sea ports and airports and we where heading south back to Santiago, Chile which would take three days.  A day later the Captain advised Chile had closed their ports and Miami had ordered the ship to sail north.  Final destination not known, according to Captain.  A day later we were advised we were heading to Panama.  When we anchored near the canal we were advised by the Captain that we would not be disembarking in Panama and Miami had ordered us to return to Miami but we had to wait for a slot to go through the canal which happened  after another day at anchor.  We then spent a day going through the canal and cruised to a Miami were we finally dsimbarked.

No one on the ship was reported to have the virus at any time during our time aboard.

We had booked our own flights out of Lima so I had to cancel, scramble for fights out of Santiago, cancel that, schedule a flight out of Panama, cancel again and finally schedule flight out of Miami which turned out to be canceled when we got to the airport but was able to fly home the next day.

Oceania treated us very well and we had no complains.  We ended up getting a 50% FCC which we never expected or asked for.

Edited by RetiredLifer
  • Like 1

They cannon refuse to refund you. When 120 days pass you can totally sue them and you have 100% win chance. If nothing extraordinary is not connected with your particular situation, it shouldnt take that long to resolve your issue. I understand that there might be certain situations where refunds are not issued but your situation seems to me very ordinary 

50 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

They cannon refuse to refund you. When 120 days pass you can totally sue them and you have 100% win chance.

Can you clarify this statement ?

Why 120 days ?

58 minutes ago, RetiredLifer said:

We were on the last cruise of the Marina before the shutdown.  We had been on since January when we boarded in Miami.  We were to disembark in Lima where the ship was to pick up new passengers and head south.  The day before we were to disembark in Lima we were scheduled to stop in Pesco, Peru.  Things were getting a little “dicey” but until that scheduled stop in Pesco we were under the understanding that we would have a day and Pesco and sail overnight to Lima for disembarkation. 

I Remember waking up that morning and looking out and thinking “ the sun is not where it is suppose to be” and land was no where in sight.  We were not going to Pesco and we were heading south.  That morning we were advised by the Captain that Peru had closed all their sea ports and airports and we where heading south back to Santiago, Chile which would take three days.  A day later the Captain advised Chile had closed their ports and Miami had ordered the ship to sail north.  Final destination not known, according to Captain.  A day later we were advised we were heading to Panama.  When we anchored near the canal we were advised by the Captain that we would not be disembarking in Panama and Miami had ordered us to return to Miami but we had to wait for a slot to go through the canal which happened  after another day at anchor.  We then spent a day going through the canal and cruised to a Miami were we finally dsimbarked.

No one on the ship was reported to have the virus at any time during our time aboard.

We had booked our own flights out of Lima so I had to cancel, scramble for fights out of Santiago, cancel that, schedule a flight out of Panama, cancel again and finally schedule flight out of Miami which turned out to be canceled when we got to the airport but was able to fly home the next day.

Oceania treated us very well and we had no complains.  We ended up getting a 50% FCC which we never expected or asked for.

Sounds like a nightmare. 

56 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

They cannon refuse to refund you. When 120 days pass you can totally sue them and you have 100% win chance. If nothing extraordinary is not connected with your particular situation, it shouldnt take that long to resolve your issue. I understand that there might be certain situations where refunds are not issued but your situation seems to me very ordinary 

No ill intentions but I don't think you know what you're talking about. I could explain it to you, but you need to go back and read the original post. 

1 hour ago, RetiredLifer said:

Thanks  for the explanation

I know a lot was going on about that time in March

Nice you got extra time onboard & an FCC for your trouble 😉

Were you confined to your cabins?

On 6/25/2020 at 6:03 PM, clo said:

Have none of you ever been in sales? Do you not understand that losing one customer isn't just one. They're going to tell others. And with social media the sky's the limit. I think O has done a piss-poor job with service and PR during these last months.

A) In what the kids are now calling "the before times" you were probably  correct about word of mouth.

B) When the Sky is literally falling (who EVER foresaw a situation where Cruise Lines in General would be forced to stop trading entirely?) All bets are off.

C) Every one of these Companies, and thousands of  others, are fighting for their continued existence and the livelihood of their employees.  Goodwill is so far down the list of priorities that it is no longer a viable consideration.

The Courts are shortly going to be overwhelmed with Pandemic related litigation, after which a new "normal" will be established.  At that point, the angst on Social Media will explode and become so overwhelming that it will cease to be an effective tool.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks  for the explanation

I know a lot was going on about that time in March

Nice you got extra time onboard & an FCC for your trouble 😉

Were you confined to your cabins?

Since no one was sick, it was just like a day at sea.  From our last port in Chile until we arrived in Miami it was 13 continuous days at sea.  We were not confined to our cabins.  Shows, trivia, daily activities were normal.  Paul Baya, the CD bent over backwards to keep us entertained with new or different activities, the lecturers gave additional lectures, it was possible to make additional specialty restaurant reservations, Terrace Cafe had additional ethnic speciality nights and we had a couple of open bars. There were additional health protocols but nothing which caused us problems or diminished our enjoyable experience.  Even though, from March 16 to when we arrived in Miami we were “squatters,” we never felt that Oceania did anything less then when we were paying customers.  When we went through the Panama Canal we had continuous commentary.  I will have to say though,they ran out of chocolate chip topping for my ice cream two days before we got to Miami.😀

IF anyone on the ship would have had the virus, all would have been different, but because we did not, we were just “the Flying Dutchman” looking for a port that would take us.  Not knowing how it would end and facing the virus when we got off the ship did give us some mental anguish. We were living in a healthy bubble. Being retired, we had no reason to get home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 3:03 PM, clo said:

Have none of you ever been in sales? Do you not understand that losing one customer isn't just one. They're going to tell others. And with social media the sky's the limit. I think O has done a piss-poor job with service and PR during these last months.

Do you ever stop with the negative posts..please try another cruise line, they might appreciate all you do..

Jancruz1

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2