Americans banned from Europe in the near future

susiesan

Depending on how long a ban on Americans going to the EU lasts may prevent Europe cruises in 2021.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html

My cancelled Marina Baltic cruise that would have been next week was postponed to August 2021. I sure hope things are back to normal by then.

33 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Depending on how long a ban on Americans going to the EU lasts may prevent Europe cruises in 2021.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html

My cancelled Marina Baltic cruise that would have been next week was postponed to August 2021. I sure hope things are back to normal by then.

Not surprised at all - it's what we deserve for handling the crisis so poorly and after US banning EU travelers earlier (and still?).

EU is now doing much, much better than we are and I don't blame them.At least my still booked flight to Rome will be cancelled by the airline and not me and can get my miles back w/o penalty.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We also had a Baltic cruise booked for July 6. Our airline finally officially cancelled our flight the other day and we applied for a refund. We booked first class air so it is a big sum. We'll see how long that takes. 

If the wealthy European countries such as Spain, Italy, & Greece don’t want or need the US tourist dollars that great! We should oblige them and happily stay home and spend our money here helping out our economy. Sounds like a win-win to me!

If one isn’t wanted then they aren’t wanted. 😳

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

If the wealthy European countries such as Spain, Italy, & Greece don’t want or need the US tourist dollars that great!

They want our money but they are not willing to pay for it with their lives - who can blame them.

They finally took control of COVID when they looked like the very picture of a disaster and now we are the disaster and they are under control..

They don't that kind of import.

• Like 22

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

If the wealthy European countries such as Spain, Italy, & Greece don’t want or need the US tourist dollars that great! We should oblige them and happily stay home and spend our money here helping out our economy. Sounds like a win-win to me!

Did you want Chinese tourists to come here at the height of their epidemic? Didn't we try to stop them?

Didn't we stop people from EU visiting when Italy, Spain & France were at their height of their epidemic? In fact, we stopped most of EU and eventually even UK from coming here.

All that was OK with you but you have a problem with the reverse situation when the epidemic is now here and not in EU?

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thoughts on handling of the virus brings out significantly different views in an election year. In New York instead of sending patients to the hospital ship and convention center virus patients were returned to nursing homes with deadly results ... this is a fact. There will be much said in the years to come. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

They are doing what we will be doing.  Can you blame them?  They are only proteting their citizens which is their primary job.  Maybe, people should consider going on river cruises in the USA.

Agree they're protecting their populations. If one is really desperate to see the EU there's always wearing a mask and social distancing at Epcot Center or Venice in Las Vegas later this summer. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Agree they're protecting their populations. If one is really desperate to see the EU there's always wearing a mask and social distancing at Epcot Center or Venice in Las Vegas later this summer. 😉

Youtube have links to various webcams all over Europe.  See Europe online!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Heck, some Americans have just been banned from NY, NJ and Conn.  Anarchy can’t be far behind...

Hawaii and Alaska have had a quarantine requirement for awhile now so add these to the list. 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:34 AM, Paulchili said:

At least my still booked flight to Rome will be cancelled by the airline and not me and can get my miles back w/o penalty.

That's what I'm waiting for also. Long since canceled the cruise and the rest of the trip.

Also I'm guessing that Australia and New Zealand aren't going to let us in. Do I remember that Hawaii is requiring quarantine? South America? We were actually in a small town in Oregon recently, Hood River, and had planned to spend a couple of nights in our RV and have some good food and poke around in some of the shops. We could stay in the RV park but it was "locals only" in shops and restaurants.

13 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I will have to do more research, but I saw on CNBC today that Orange County had the fewest cases and deaths of counties in CA. LA is an absolute disaster.

This might help your research - top 6 counties are in SoCal:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/california-coronavirus-cases.html

These are facts, not politics.

LA is the new NYC

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

Not sure how accurate  this site is  but maybe more so than a newspaper

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Our numbers here  are dropping  but they are opening up more  places  this week  so  will wait to see  if we spike  again

We are still laying low & wearing masks if we need to go shopping

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Some people just don’t want to wear masks or socially distance as a statement of some kind

Thank you, Paul. I'm just furious. Whatever that statement is, GET OVER IT and WEAR THE DANG MASK.

• Like 1

Look around.  There are people who just don't comply.  They won't wear masks or distance.  They get angry when they are excluded from stores because they won't wear a face mask.  Even those that do, often wear it incorrectly.  The top of the head isn't protected anyone. 

EU nationals were banned from the US ports on March 13. I was cruising on Sirena when they quickly made a "technical stop" in Antiqua on March 14th to disembark all EU nationals.  They flew to LHR. They were not allowed back into Miami.  The United States banned EU nationals and now you are surprised that the EU doesn't want Americans in Europe.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Youtube have links to various webcams all over Europe.  See Europe online!

deadzone, exactly. For the remainder of the places I wish to see, I am doing it online and via video from the total comfort of my home. No intentions of flying or sailing there. 

There are all manner of inter provincial restrictions on travel in Canada, as per the US including police stopping people going into Quebec from Ottawa. In Canada we still have flights arriving from China daily to Toronto and Vancouver, no testing at the airport on arrival. Expect spikes in "cases" because of the introduction of antibody testing which the CDC says will be positive if you have ever been exposed to 3 different cold strains, SARS, MERS and 19.  Hence the increase in "cases" in Florida which started using the antibody testing in May.

An interesting item for those cruisers who are older......

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-may-not-work-in-older-people-experts-say-1.4997928

22 hours ago, Petoonya said:

No offence I've been to Epcot, the people who go there and actually think it is like going to Europe are probably the ones who are too ignorant or stubborn to wear a mask.  😃

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Look around.  There are people who just don't comply.  They won't wear masks or distance.  They get angry when they are excluded from stores because they won't wear a face mask.  Even those that do, often wear it incorrectly.  The top of the head isn't protected anyone. 

EU nationals were banned from the US ports on March 13. I was cruising on Sirena when they quickly made a "technical stop" in Antiqua on March 14th to disembark all EU nationals.  They flew to LHR. They were not allowed back into Miami.  The United States banned EU nationals and now you are surprised that the EU doesn't want Americans in Europe.  

We don't want Americans in Canada either (nothing personal), we are looking at your infection rates with concern, ours have dropped substantially and are still dropping.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.50.00 AM.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doubt It said:

Expect spikes in "cases" because of the introduction of antibody testing which the CDC says will be positive if you have ever been exposed to 3 different cold strains, SARS, MERS and 19.  Hence the increase in "cases" in Florida which started using the antibody testing in May.

What does SARS & MERS have to do with Americans? It would be a rare person in USA who was exposed to these.

The rise in cases has little to do with increased testing as hospitalizations are also increasing and many places in Arizona, Texas, etc are at or near capacity in their ICUs. If this increase was only due to antibody testing with prior exposure, these people would not be in the hospital.

So - increased numbers of cases are not due to increased testing but community spread of the disease. These are not just test numbers but people struggling for their lives in ICUs.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

Staying where you are now is best for all.  Nobody wants to move the virus. If everyone stops traveling, maybe we can contain the virus instead of spreading it.  Self quarantine is the best start to stopping it.  I live in NJ, a hot spot that has fewer new cases than last week.  There still are more new cases and deaths. Everyday, the update stats show deaths. Today in my town, there were 3.  We do not want people in new hot spots moving here or anywhere.  Just stay put.  If people keep traveling, the virus will find new hosts.  Just to make more problems, Trump wants to come to NJ this weekend to play golf. He was in Arizona. He says that he will not quarantine. Last night the governors of NY, NJ, and CT announced closing the states to people who have been in the 7 new hot spot states within the past 2 weeks.  Wondering why Trump would want to spread the virus when some of his staff has tested positive recently. 

• Like 6

On 6/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, pinotlover said:

In the past few years Spain was bankrupt  and Italy was on the verge  and Greece  was  in collapse.  the Uk was most wise to exit...............

Only an idiot, clutching  their pearls and flogging themselves would say we deserved  this.....Burdened by  a sensational  political motivated media.  The best thing we did was ban many euro states and china ( who started this whole mess)   But notice.... the  chinese dependent euro countries are NOT banning China !

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Heck, some Americans have just been banned from NY, NJ and Conn.  Anarchy can’t be far behind...

They are not "banned" from those states, they just have to quarantine for 14 days when they get there. 

• Like 2