Americans banned from Europe in the near future

susiesan

7 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

No offence I've been to Epcot, the people who go there and actually think it is like going to Europe are probably the ones who are too ignorant or stubborn to wear a mask.  😃

I've been to Epcot too and the comment was made in jest 😉

So true- about "unmasked people".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schmerl said:

They are not "banned" from those states, they just have to quarantine for 14 days when they get there. 

Who is going to monitor that they comply and how will they enforce it? 

In China they put people like this into a gym to make sure that stay isolated. In democracies like Australia and NZ they put them in a hotel paid for by the Government and they couldn't leave.

I can't see this happening in NYC and that is one of the reasons we can't get a handle on this pandemic.

People do what they want to do, regardless of what they are told to do.I am all for personal freedom and civil liberties but this is one case where the good of an entire nation is in question.

We can't even have people wear face masks - how are they going to comply with a quarantine for 14 days?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Doubt It said:

deadzone, exactly. For the remainder of the places I wish to see, I am doing it online and via video from the total comfort of my home. No intentions of flying or sailing there. 

There are all manner of inter provincial restrictions on travel in Canada, as per the US including police stopping people going into Quebec from Ottawa. In Canada we still have flights arriving from China daily to Toronto and Vancouver, no testing at the airport on arrival. Expect spikes in "cases" because of the introduction of antibody testing which the CDC says will be positive if you have ever been exposed to 3 different cold strains, SARS, MERS and 19.  Hence the increase in "cases" in Florida which started using the antibody testing in May.

An interesting item for those cruisers who are older......

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-may-not-work-in-older-people-experts-say-1.4997928

I believe the testing for Florida is required if you wish to go back to work.  Apparently, most of them are asymptomatic.  At one time, the median age for people testing positive was 65, now it is down to 37 or maybe lower.  What really counts is how much your medical system gets stressed by the increase in new infections.  Since hospitalizations and deaths are still drifting downward in Florida, I would say their medical system is not stressed at all as it was not stressed even during the lockdown.  Was not aware of the anti-body testing covering "3 different cold strains, SARS, MERS and 19".  Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

I believe the testing for Florida is required if you wish to go back to work.  Apparently, most of them are asymptomatic.  At one time, the median age for people testing positive was 65, now it is down to 37 or maybe lower.  What really counts is how much your medical system gets stressed by the increase in new infections.  Since hospitalizations and deaths are still drifting downward in Florida, I would say their medical system is not stressed at all as it was not stressed even during the lockdown.  Was not aware of the anti-body testing covering "3 different cold strains, SARS, MERS and 19".  Thanks for the info.

Yes, here in my CO ski town we had stability at around 50. In the past 10 days we are at 85. Most cases are now younger people and many are refusing to provide info for contract tracing. Construction workers and waitstaff from restaurants coming in from other counties for employment are part of the issue. Also, the protests and the current timing of the new cases did not help either.

Now, the tourists are arriving from CA, NY, FL, TX, and AZ for 4th of July. I read today that the flights are full. We will be hiking and hiding 😉 I expect a 2nd wave and so does our medical staff.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, here in my CO ski town we had stability at around 50. In the past 10 days we are at 85. Most cases are now younger people and many are refusing to provide info for contract tracing. Construction workers and waitstaff from restaurants coming in from other counties for employment are part of the issue. Also, the protests and the current timing of the new cases did not help either.

Now, the tourists are arriving from CA, NY, FL, TX, and AZ for 4th of July. I read today that the flights are full. We will be hiking and hiding 😉 I expect a 2nd wave and so does our medical staff.

There may be a 2nd wave, but it may look alot different then the 1st as it will probably be mostly people under 60 who may get sick, but will not die.  When the 1st wave occur, they didn't know how to treat the disease, they just treated the symptoms.  I think they've gotten alot better in treatment.  More importantly, they didn't quarantine the at-most-risk people as well as they could have though the world had told everyone that the old and people with underlying conditions were most at risk.  Whether we want to admit it or not, this disease really affects the elderly and people with underlying conditions and they are the ones that still have to self-quarantine until there is either a vaccine, a cure, the entire population reaches herd immunity, or the disease goes away like SARS (I am elderly, but I'm pragmatic.).  In the meanwhile, you can only wear a mask, social-distance yourself from others, and wash your hands more often.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

There may be a 2nd wave, but it may look alot different then the 1st as it will probably be mostly people under 60 who may get sick, but will not die.  When the 1st wave occur, they didn't know how to treat the disease, they just treated the symptoms.  I think they've gotten alot better in treatment.  More importantly, they didn't quarantine the at-most-risk people as well as they could have though the world had told everyone that the old and people with underlying conditions were most at risk.  Whether we want to admit it or not, this disease really affects the elderly and people with underlying conditions and they are the ones that still have to self-quarantine until there is either a vaccine, a cure, the entire population reaches herd immunity, or the disease goes away like SARS (I am elderly, but I'm pragmatic.).  In the meanwhile, you can only wear a mask, social-distance yourself from others, and wash your hands more often.  

Just linking to this cause I couldn't find the one I wanted. But I understand that people can have lifelong health problems up to and including organ failure. This is about a double lung transplant. But there have already been serious heart conditions. This isn't a respiratory only problem. By a long shot.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/12/875486356/first-known-u-s-lung-transplant-for-covid-19-patient-performed-in-chicago

30 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

Whether we want to admit it or not, this disease really affects the elderly and people with underlying conditions and they are the ones that still have to self-quarantine until there is either a vaccine, a cure, the entire population reaches herd immunity, or the disease goes away like SARS (I am elderly, but I'm pragmatic.).  In the meanwhile, you can only wear a mask, social-distance yourself from others, and wash your hands more often.  

I hate to admit it, but I KNOW you're right.

I'm 68 and my kids have been trying to gently tell me the same, but because I don't feel or told I look 68, inside I AM 68. I want to run away from the truth, and that is that I need to continue to self-quarantine. Even though I miss my kids and grandkids like hell.

People have gone through MUCH more unspeakable horror. Thanks for the truth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

In the past few years Spain was bankrupt  and Italy was on the verge  and Greece  was  in collapse.  the Uk was most wise to exit...............

Only an idiot, clutching  their pearls and flogging themselves would say we deserved  this.....Burdened by  a sensational  political motivated media.  The best thing we did was ban many euro states and china ( who started this whole mess)   But notice.... the  chinese dependent euro countries are NOT banning China !

Notice China locked down hard and respond swiftly and strategically now to any new cases.  US, freedom and there will be miracle and it'll disappear once it gets warm, LOL

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Who is going to monitor that they comply and how will they enforce it? 

In China they put people like this into a gym to make sure that stay isolated. In democracies like Australia and NZ they put them in a hotel paid for by the Government and they couldn't leave.

I can't see this happening in NYC and that is one of the reasons we can't get a handle on this pandemic.

People do what they want to do, regardless of what they are told to do.I am all for personal freedom and civil liberties but this is one case where the good of an entire nation is in question.

We can't even have people wear face masks - how are they going to comply with a quarantine for 14 days?

It's that unique US culture rebel/freedom and selfish don't care about anyone but themselves.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I hate to admit it, but I KNOW you're right.

I'm 68 and my kids have been trying to gently tell me the same, but because I don't feel or told I look 68, inside I AM 68. I want to run away from the truth, and that is that I need to continue to self-quarantine. Even though I miss my kids and grandkids like hell.

People have gone through MUCH more unspeakable horror. Thanks for the truth.

"44% are under age 35."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/16/age-of-covid-19-cases-dropping-in-california/

5 minutes ago, clo said:

COVID-19–related deaths in China have mostly involved older individuals (≥60 years) and persons with serious underlying health conditions. In the United States, attributable deaths have been most common in adults aged 85 years or older (10%-27%), followed by adults aged 65-84 years (3%-11%), adults aged 55-64 years (1%-3%), and adults aged 20-54 years (< 1%).

https://www.medscape.com/answers/2500114-197406/which-age-groups-are-most-likely-to-die-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

Edited by Petoonya

3 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

COVID-19–related deaths in China have mostly involved older individuals (≥60 years) and persons with serious underlying health conditions. In the United States, attributable deaths have been most common in adults aged 85 years or older (10%-27%), followed by adults aged 65-84 years (3%-11%), adults aged 55-64 years (1%-3%), and adults aged 20-54 years (< 1%).

https://www.medscape.com/answers/2500114-197406/which-age-groups-are-most-likely-to-die-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

Good thing we live only 28.8 miles from the Calif. border.

6 hours ago, chipmaster said:

It's that unique US culture rebel/freedom and selfish don't care about anyone but themselves.

Not unique at all, here in the UK we have the same 'Covidiots' who won't comply.

• Like 1

Common question

Do masks protect you from the coronavirus disease?

Face masks do not protect you from COVID-19. It is much more important to wash your hands properly and avoid touching your face and eyes. Specific types of face masks can protect health professionals looking after people with the virus.
Just sayin'
Jxx

20 minutes ago, BenMurphy said:

Common question

Do masks protect you from the coronavirus disease?

Face masks do not protect you from COVID-19. It is much more important to wash your hands properly and avoid touching your face and eyes. Specific types of face masks can protect health professionals looking after people with the virus.
Just sayin'
Jxx

let me guess.....you live in one of the states where the virus is spiking?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JVNYC said:

let me guess.....you live in one of the states where the virus is spiking?

We have reviewed the results of more than a dozen randomised trials of face masks and transmission of respiratory illnesses. We found the current best evidence suggests wearing a mask to avoid viral respiratory infections such as COVID-19 offers minimal protection, if any.

Conflicting recommendations

Two of the world's major health organisations disagree on mask wearing. The World Health Organisation (WHO) currently discourages mask use:

There is currently no evidence that wearing a mask (whether medical or other types) by healthy persons in the wider community setting, including universal community masking, can prevent them from infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19.

WHO does recommend special masks (N95 masks or equivalent) plus other protection for health-care workers working with people who have, or are suspected to have, COVID-19.

By contrast, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States has recently recommended everyone wear a (cloth) mask. However, this is to prevent infected people passing on the infection, not to prevent the wearer getting infected.

Who is right? Does wearing a mask protect the wearer? Does it protect others?

COVID-19–related deaths in China have mostly involved older individuals (≥60 years) and persons with serious underlying health conditions. In the United States, attributable deaths have been most common in adults aged 85 years or older (10%-27%), followed by adults aged 65-84 years (3%-11%), adults aged 55-64 years (1%-3%), and adults aged 20-54 years ( https://www.medscape.com/answers/2500114-197406/which-age-groups-are-most-likely-to-die-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

Using these numbers (maximums) there are 58% not accounted for. Either I’m not reading this report correctly or it’s flawed as presented.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WHO does recommend special masks (N95 masks or equivalent) plus other protection for health-care workers working with people who have, or are suspected to have, COVID-19.

By contrast, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States has recently recommended everyone wear a (cloth) mask. However, this is to prevent infected people passing on the infection, not to prevent the wearer getting infected.

So, do you wear a mask in public?
Most rational people believe that Dr Fauci is the most qualified expert to take advice from on this subject. “Wear a mask”.

29 minutes ago, blacksmith said:

Using these numbers (maximums) there are 58% not accounted for. Either I’m not reading this report correctly or it’s flawed as presented.

I ask this with all due respect. What 58% are you referring to?

I ask this with all due respect. What 58% are you referring to?

If you add up the highest percentage shown in each age group it only comes up to 42%. If my math is wrong or there is something l am not understanding my mind is open.

41 minutes ago, BenMurphy said:

We have reviewed the results of more than a dozen randomised trials of face masks and transmission of respiratory illnesses. We found the current best evidence suggests wearing a mask to avoid viral respiratory infections such as COVID-19 offers minimal protection, if any.

Conflicting recommendations

Two of the world's major health organisations disagree on mask wearing. The World Health Organisation (WHO) currently discourages mask use:

There is currently no evidence that wearing a mask (whether medical or other types) by healthy persons in the wider community setting, including universal community masking, can prevent them from infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19.

I’m glad you are not my neighbor. 

3 minutes ago, blacksmith said:

If you add up the highest percentage shown in each age group it only comes up to 42%. If my math is wrong or there is something l am not understanding my mind is open

The percentage of individuals in this article is not referring to the numbers of people who die from COVID based on the entire population of deaths from COVID.

It's saying that if you are in the population of elderly (age 85+), 10%-20% of you will die; as if you are in the population of 65-84  year old's 3-11% of you will die.  

Does this make sense?         

American will have a much a longer ban than even Russia cause the number of sick people is huge. I only hope that we will fight Covd the soonest to make this waiting period shorter. In any case you can still cruise to Europe but you wont be able to leave the ship. I wont travel anywhere probably.. 

5 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Not unique at all, here in the UK we have the same 'Covidiots' who won't comply.

US seems to have adopted some of the best of ancestor's culture and took it to extremes, sadly 

The percentage of individuals in this article is not referring to the numbers of people who die from COVID based on the entire population of deaths from COVID.
It's saying that if you are in the population of elderly (age 85+), 10%-20% of you will die; as if you are in the population of 65-84  year old's 3-11% of you will die.  
Does this make sense?         

I just slapped my forehead. I get it. Sorry