Cancellation before final payment due to medical reasons.

We cancelled our Nov.1 2020 cruise yesterday due to medical reasons.  Our travel agency is charging us the 50 dollar per person cancellation fee. Royal Caribbean is giving us a future cruise credit to cover the 500 dollar nonrefundable deposit. We are fine with that. Questions is; will our travel insurance cover the 50 dollar per person cancelation fee and do we have to take the future cruise credit from royal? Will travel insurance reimburse us if royal gives the FCC?

3 hours ago, Betatlake said:

We cancelled our Nov.1 2020 cruise yesterday due to medical reasons.  Our travel agency is charging us the 50 dollar per person cancellation fee. Royal Caribbean is giving us a future cruise credit to cover the 500 dollar nonrefundable deposit. We are fine with that. Questions is; will our travel insurance cover the 50 dollar per person cancelation fee and do we have to take the future cruise credit from royal? Will travel insurance reimburse us if royal gives the FCC?

Hi Betalake,

I have two questions:

1) Which travel insurance policy do you have?

2) Was the the $50 per person cancellation fee a prepaid trip cost?

Steve Dasseos

Steve, the policy type purchased was Travel SE and it was purchased on 1/17/2020. The cancellation fee was not a prepaid cost as it is not applied unless you have to cancel; but it was in the contract that we signed with our big box TA. When we cancelled the cruise yesterday; I did send an e-mail to itravelclaims @itravelinsured.com to make them aware of cancellation. The insurance company is IMG

Edited by Betatlake

4 hours ago, Betatlake said:

Steve, the policy type purchased was Travel SE and it was purchased on 1/17/2020. The cancellation fee was not a prepaid cost as it is not applied unless you have to cancel; but it was in the contract that we signed with our big box TA. When we cancelled the cruise yesterday; I did send an e-mail to itravelclaims @itravelinsured.com to make them aware of cancellation. The insurance company is IMG

Hi Betalake,

The IMG SE plan won't reimburse you for the $50 per person cancellation fee because your trip was not cancelled for a covered reason,

In addition, I suggest you cancel the claim with IMG because by filing a claim you will forfeit your right to change the dates on your policy to cover a different trip. This is true whether or not your claim is paid.

You can see what you may do with your IMG SE plan on this page:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/coronavirus-policy-change/

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way from the top and you'll see my section called "IMG iTravelInsured".

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

Steve, if the trip was cancelled due to a covered medical reason such as a relapse of a serious medical condition, what would your answer be regarding the $50 fee and refund of deposit in lieu of accepting the future cruise credit from Royal Caribbean?   Thank you.

2 hours ago, mustgo said:

Steve, if the trip was cancelled due to a covered medical reason such as a relapse of a serious medical condition, what would your answer be regarding the $50 fee and refund of deposit in lieu of accepting the future cruise credit from Royal Caribbean?   Thank you.

Hi Mustgo,

I'd have to see the exact wording on the $50 p/p fee. What I usually see is the TA somehow converts their cancellation fee into an onboard credit when the person rebooks.

Steve

12 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Betalake,

The IMG SE plan won't reimburse you for the $50 per person cancellation fee because your trip was not cancelled for a covered reason,

In addition, I suggest you cancel the claim with IMG because by filing a claim you will forfeit your right to change the dates on your policy to cover a different trip. This is true whether or not your claim is paid.

You can see what you may do with your IMG SE plan on this page:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/coronavirus-policy-change/

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way from the top and you'll see my section called "IMG iTravelInsured".

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

Steve, thank you for your reply. As my husband has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has seen physician to verify same; I thought this would be a covered reason for claim. Also the cancellation fee was processed by TA and they are not doing any type of OBC.  Also can I get the refund for the 500 dollars from my travel insurance instead of accepting the Future cruise credit; I am not even sure if we will ever cruise again.

Edited by Betatlake

22 minutes ago, Betatlake said:

Steve, thank you for your reply. As my husband has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has seen physician to verify same; I thought this would be a covered reason for claim. Also the cancellation fee was processed by TA and they are not doing any type of OBC.  Also can I get the refund for the 500 dollars from my travel insurance instead of accepting the Future cruise credit; I am not even sure if we will ever cruise again.

Hi Betalake,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

His diagnosis could be a covered reason. It will depend on whether his doctor is telling him if he has to cancel his trip. If this is from a pre-existing condition you will want to be sure your policy includes the pre-ex coverage.

Steve

54 minutes ago, Betatlake said:

I forgot to answer this:

> Also can I get the refund for the 500 dollars from my travel insurance instead of accepting the Future cruise credit; I am not even sure if we will ever cruise again.

No, IMG stopped refunding policies almost a month ago.

If you re-use your policy, you may use it for any trip, not just a cruise.

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo