New York tours in the middle of a return transatlantic voyage

PrincessPete

Hi, we are looking at doing a return transatlantic trip, Southampton to Southampton late next year on Queen Mary 2 with just the one turnaround day in New York. Obviously, we understand all the uncertainties with everything at the moment.

However, I would be most grateful if anyone can advise what ship tours are offered on these turnround days as we would probably be a bit nervous about spending time on our own in Manhattan with the risk of missing our return half of the voyage if we were late back to Brooklyn!

We have been to New York several times before so it would really be a question of an organised tour visiting sights we have seen previously, just to give us a few hours off the ship.

Any help much appreciated and with kind regards. Peter

Edited by PrincessPete
Spelling error

16 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

However, I would be most grateful if anyone can advise what ship tours are offered on these turnround days as we would probably be a bit nervous about spending time on our own in Manhattan with the risk of missing our return half of the voyage if we were late back to Brooklyn!

Turnaround tours through Cunard are fairly limited to bus drive bys of the major sights and I believe you stop in Times Square (which is most New Yorker's (I'm a former New Yorker) least favorite place in town but I can see why tourists enjoy it. I have never taken one of these turnaround tours myself (we usually embark or disembark in New York due to where we live) but have had some UK friends do them. Basically their feedback was that it was nice knowing the ship won't leave without you but they wish they had done things on their own. 

21 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

We have been to New York several times before so it would really be a question of an organised tour visiting sights we have seen previously, just to give us a few hours off the ship.

If you have been to New York before, as you allude to, there isn't going to be anything on this bus overview that you haven't done before. What I would tell you is that it is very easy to get to and from Manhattan by Uber or taxi (Ubers are much nicer than New York taxis these days). You could even hire a car service to take you to and from for what a tour might cost. 

You could easily do some shopping, see a museum, and have a nice leisurely lunch before headed back to Red Hook to board QM2. The ship usually sails at 5pm which means you would want to be back no later than 4ish. If you left Manhattan at 3pm you would be back to the ship in PLENTY of time and there would be virtually no traffic that time of day. Generally it take about 35 minutes from Midtown Manhattan so you would have an hour of buffer time. You could even finish lunch and leave at 2 and give yourself a ton of time. My point is that unless you really want to do the dog and pony bus tour again you could have a very enjoyable day off the ship on your own with zero stress. 

Tours offered by Cunard for my 6th May roundtrip TA which was cancelled are as follows-

1) New York Insights & Top of Rockefeller duration 7.5hrs $124

2) New York Highlights duration 4hrs $75

3) Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island duration 6hrs $102

4) Open top bus & Skyline cruise duration 5.5hrs $92

They also do a transfer from the ship to Macy's and return with own time in New York but have no details or price.

We have done this several ways.   Take the bus transfer offered by the ship around $45 return they drop off near Macy's around 9am and return 2.30pm.  Or leave the Terminal at head for the Ferry  very close by and go to Wall Street very cheap and a regular schedule.  We then got the subway to the Frink did some shopping at we were back at the ship around 3pm.

54 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

Hi, we are looking at doing a return transatlantic trip, Southampton to Southampton late next year on Queen Mary 2 with just the one turnaround day in New York. Obviously, we understand all the uncertainties with everything at the moment.

Dear PrincessPete,

As a New Yorker, Welcome to the Big Apple "The City That Never Sleeps".

We recently had a couple from the UK that came over on a sailing that also included a BTB. They too wanted to see the Big Apple and they selected the New York Tour - Short Edition which was about 7 hours. It was a Bus Tour with stops at certain location for Walking Tours like the Top of the Rock and Grand Central Stations. Time was given to walk and shop around. Meal was not included. It was 7 hours long but enjoyed all included. They too just wanted to get off the ship to stretch their legs after 7 days at sea. They enjoyed the tour. On the second return they took the tour that included the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. That one was not as liked as the previous one due to the crowds they encountered.

Except for certain ports of call, we too like to take the ship's tours since we are assured that we will return to the ship at the right time. When we have exhausted a port of call with interesting tours to take, we then freelance our interest to walking, shopping and even enjoy a meal that features the regional or countries cuisine.

One preparation we look forward to when preparing to take a sailing is reviewing the locations and what they offer as sights to see and other activities that will interest us, ship's tour or self organized tour. 

Going by yourself is no problem at all- I took the ferry from Red Hook to Wall Street Pier 11- worked like charme- and you have a great view of the giant Mary as you go around her with the ferry.

Every spot in NY you can reach from there- I spent a great day at the south tip of Manhattan- revisiting all my favorite places. After Lunch I made my way back to Pier 11 and was back with plenty of time before we sailed back home.

• Like 1

Going by yourself is no problem at all- I took the ferry from Red Hook to Wall Street Pier 11- worked like charme- and you have a great view of the giant Mary as you go around her with the ferry.
Every spot in NY you can reach from there- I spent a great day at the south tip of Manhattan- revisiting all my favorite places. After Lunch I made my way back to Pier 11 and was back with plenty of time before we sailed back home.

I was going to suggest the ferry. Only a few mins walk from dock

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

27 minutes ago, fizzy1 said:

I was going to suggest the ferry. Only a few mins walk from dock

Which works really well if you want to see lower Manhattan (9/11 Museum, departure to Ellis Island/SOL, walk around the financial district) but if you want to be in Midtown where a lot of the major shopping, restaurants, and sights are a taxi/Uber/or car will be dramatically faster than the ferry. If you take the ferry you'll still need transportation uptown. 

21 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Which works really well if you want to see lower Manhattan (9/11 Museum, departure to Ellis Island/SOL, walk around the financial district) but if you want to be in Midtown where a lot of the major shopping, restaurants, and sights are a taxi/Uber/or car will be dramatically faster than the ferry. If you take the ferry you'll still need transportation uptown. 

But a lot more expensive if you catch ferry from Red Hook to Wall St you can get a free transfer onto another ferry and get off at 42nd Street a short walk to all attractions and for only $2-75 at current prices a bargain.

30 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

if you catch ferry from Red Hook to Wall St you can get a free transfer onto another ferry and get off at 42nd Street a short walk to all attractions and for only $2-75 at current prices a bargain.

A bargain but at what cost? What you describe would take at least an 1 hour and 15 minutes in each direction provided you make the transfers quickly (which is never guaranteed). When you have realistically between 8:30am to 2:30pm to visit one of the largest cities in the world thats an enormous time suck to save a few dollars. UberX to midtown costs about $35 total and will take about 25-30 minutes. 

Well there are pro and con´s for everything- the final desicion will be made by the OP! The OP was already in NY- so have i -  so one can take a pick of what is of interesst. For my I would alway opt for the ferry- I love New York from the water- so in the price of the ferry ticket you have a nice boat tour around Manhattan at the same time.

For a first time New Yorker-   one day- well a few hours to be honest- just can give you a glimpse of whats to see- if you do a sightseeing tour- offered by X- or a prive tour.

12 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

A bargain but at what cost? What you describe would take at least an 1 hour and 15 minutes in each direction provided you make the transfers quickly (which is never guaranteed). When you have realistically between 8:30am to 2:30pm to visit one of the largest cities in the world thats an enormous time suck to save a few dollars. UberX to midtown costs about $35 total and will take about 25-30 minutes. 

Nonsense on our last roundtrip TA we were off the ship by 6-30 in Wall Street by 7-30 and at 911 Museum by 8am. People on roundtrip TAs can be one of the first to get off the ship along with self disembarkation and because you are off so early you dont get held up at customs. We were at the Red Hook ferry quay before 7am waiting for the next ferry and it only takes 20 minutes to Pier 11 (Wall St).

Edited by majortom10

14 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Good advice.   Using up a substantial part of your time ashore to save a few dollars does not strike me as good economy.   I would suggest deciding on one primary target - which might depend upon personal interest: say walking around Rockefeller Center, Mid-town, Fifth Avenue , or the Metropolitan Museum - possibly thinking about weather - you mentioned “late next year”.

When we took the ship transfer to Macy's, we were dropped off at 9am. it was a Sunday and a really nice  sunny day. We strolled up to the Met arriving at 10am and left at 1.30pm to get the subway back to meet the coach. It makes sense to concentrate on a small area and not try to pack too much in.

10 minutes ago, Elephant1151 said:

When we took the ship transfer to Macy's, we were dropped off at 9am. it was a Sunday and a really nice  sunny day. We strolled up to the Met arriving at 10am and left at 1.30pm to get the subway back to meet the coach. It makes sense to concentrate on a small area and not try to pack too much in.

A good approach - as long as the ship’s transfer was not too much more than what Uber would have cost — it did offer a fair amount of comfort re: getting back on time.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Nonsense on our last roundtrip TA we were off the ship by 6-30 in Wall Street by 7-30 and at 911 Museum by 8am.

Thats fine but we were talking about getting to Midtown, not lower Manhattan where Wall St and the 9/11 Museum are. I agree with you that the ferry is a good way to get to lower Manhattan. But it's highly inefficient time wise to get to the major sights, dining, and museums in Midtown. 

On 6/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, PrincessPete said:

Hi PrincessPete,

After reading your original posting of your concerns and would like to accomplish and the other suggestions I think making the day as simple is the solution.

As I mention earlier on, suggest a ship organized tour ex. New York Insight (Walk/Ride) that varies from 4 or 7.5 hours long, an overview of NYC. Our friend last year from your country, the UK, enjoyed very much. Also ship board tours guarantee back to the ship in plenty of time to board and enjoy the always festive Sailaway out of NY Harbor.

As a Native New York'er, there is plenty to see and experience across the River in Lower Manhattan. 9-11 Memorial & Museum, World Financial Center, Federal Hall, Fraunces Tavern, NY Stock Exchange, Historical Trinity Church to' name a few. And since the rebuilding of the World Trade Center there is quite a number of locations for shopping especially in the World Financial Center.

As we feel during a cruise/sailing, don't stress over this over this, look forward to the trip and enjoy what you can see and experience in the time you want to a lot to it

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Thats fine but we were talking about getting to Midtown, not lower Manhattan where Wall St and the 9/11 Museum are. I agree with you that the ferry is a good way to get to lower Manhattan. But it's highly inefficient time wise to get to the major sights, dining, and museums in Midtown. 

No it isnt if you can get to Pier 11 by 7-30 you could easily be at 34th Street ( my mistake meant East 34th street not 42nd street)by 8-30 to 9 giving you ample time to visit major attractions and shops in Midtown I know because I have done it. Also for a fraction of the cost it would cost to book a Uber if as you say $35 each way +tip a total of $70+ as I expect taxi driver would want 20% tip compared to $11 for 2 people return and you get a great view of East Manhattan from the river.

Princess Pete,

Not sure how "late" in the year you are planning on sailing but if it is in the Sept/Oct time period, let me suggest Brunch at The Central Park Boathouse. A beautiful and elegant restaurant situated on a small lake in the middle of New York's Central Park. There are no exterior walls to the restaurant  so you have a specular view of the lake and the park. You will need reservations and will want to get there a hour in advance to enjoy a drink in the bar. The walk through Central Park to get to the restaurant is very enjoyable. In October the leaves will likely be turning. We have met the most interesting international visitors while in the bar before and after Brunch. Rather that rushing around the City, let the world come to you. The are closed now due to C-19 but hopefully will be open soon.

5831d0498e7fa_loeb_boathouse_2.thumb.jpg.5037c3cef46a6035e926c6dfa281550b.jpg

Central-Park-Boathouse1.thumb.jpg.a8c445fb2a00ab4279c5564918e8bfac.jpg

Jack

• Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, PrincessPete said:

Based on local US news reports on NYC, even though your cruise is over a year away, NYC may look more like London right after WWII than the NYC you remember. It may take the city up to ten years to return to anything resembling normalcy. And as to personal safety with a smaller police force, I would not opt to anything self guided.

Oh my- Lakesregion- that bad! I take it you mean NYC is still a little bit like a ghost town? I wonder what restaurants, bars etc. I may find , when I , maybe , in Dec. be there for a day. If my TA goes- if one is allowed to enter the US- coming from Europe! OH dear- what a year!