US Citizen - keep an eye on Schengen/EU potential of denying entry due to COVID failuresI

slidergirl

8 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

You are right about Americans not being very health minded. On my 12 day cruise out of Rome I hit the gym every late afternoon, it was crowded but I was the only American there!

If only going to the gym in late afternoon was a measure of being health minded (eye roll).  While I agree with your premise, your example is beyond weak as evidence. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

You are right about Americans not being very health minded. On my 12 day cruise out of Rome I hit the gym every late afternoon, it was crowded but I was the only American there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seriously?😲 Just because people choose not to use a gym on a cruise ship does not mean they are not trying to live

a healthy life.   

• Like 2

23 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

No.

That's a fact.  It didn't, it allowed tens of thousands of people to fly in from China.  It did limit their landing to a much fewer number of airports, but this idea of a "China ban" is a lie.  And that doesn't even mention flights from Europe, which had already registered Covid-19 cases a week before the US limited who could fly in from China.  

As for the task force......well, their actual effect is kind of dubious.   As we can tell...

The coronovirus task force was formed on January 29th when little was known about the virus.  As late as March 9th Anthony Fauci (director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases in the US) had said, "If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship.”

You are right in that the flights were not "banned" it was travelers who had been in China.  On January 31st flights from China were funneled into a handful of US airports so passengers could be screened for the virus and sent to quarantine if needed: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/business/china-travel-coronavirus.html 

11 hours ago, clo said:

I know. I should just click on like or thanks but doesn't begin to cover it.

What about the fact that Houston is predicted to run out of ICU beds TOMORROW? That 23 (is that still right?) states have rising/surging infections. Have you seen the Boca Raton news with the "Karens" shrieking about their rights? I'm so sick of this. I only take an ambien to get over jet lag. But I took one last night before I screamed myself hoarse. No country in their right mind should allow us in right now. 

If needed the HSNS Mercy is available.  If it would be used.  The hospital ship Comfort was sent to New York was hardly used as were the temporary unit at the Javits Convention Center.  Originally intended to take the burden of non-covid patients off local hospitals, they were converted to care for covid-19 patients.  The Javits temporary hospital closed in May after treating approximately one patient for every bed set up. 

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And even when the US State Department stops advising against international travel, what countries if any will want US citizens entering their borders?

So far the us State Dept "country" specific advisories seem to mirror country requirements from my viewing.  I was not referring to a general travel advisory.  From my viewing the country specific identifies country requirements well. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And even when the US State Department stops advising against international travel, what countries if any will want US citizens entering their borders?

From July 1 the Bahamas will allow US citizens albeit with certain entry requirements.

2 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

If needed the HSNS Mercy is available.  If it would be used.  The hospital ship Comfort was sent to New York was hardly used as were the temporary unit at the Javits Convention Center.  Originally intended to take the burden of non-covid patients off local hospitals, they were converted to care for covid-19 patients.  The Javits temporary hospital closed in May after treating approximately one patient for every bed set up. 

Last I heard, the Javits Center was left assembled. HSNS Mercy is on the West Coast, thus a trip through the Canal would be required. Its top speed is 17 knots, so that is a week or more sailing. Why not use Comfort?

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

From July 1 the Bahamas will allow US citizens albeit with certain entry requirements.

Crazy, I am from the US and don't even want to mingle with US people.

covid_state_06_26.JPG

covid_06_26.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

The Americans I did see and there were many were too busy loading their buffet plates to the top and scarfing down multiple deserts while pulling up their pants over their extended stomachs. Seriously? You bet lady !

Really...I have been cruising for 38 years... I see far more active than inactive folks on cruise ships.  Many walk the main deck daily, walk in ports of call... the many ways to get exercise on a ship.... dancing, swimming beside the gym.  I see far more people eating reasonably whether American or not. 

Edited by pris993
wrong word
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

The Americans I did see and there were many were too busy loading their buffet plates to the top and scarfing down multiple deserts while pulling up their pants over their extended stomachs. Seriously? You bet lady !

Again, just because a person does not work out in the gym on a cruise ship does not mean they don't try to live

a healthy life.  I prefer walking.   I never said people didn't eat too much,  but I also think your assumption that those

of us who don't use the gym don't like to live healthy is a bit off. But since you love the gym, have at it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

As late as March 9th Anthony Fauci (director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases in the US) had said, "If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship.”

Right, and he also said don't wear masks -- and now he says the decision to say those wrong (from a health perspective) things were made because of the unfortunate political situation the US was in. 

Sad but true.

4 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

On January 31st flights from China were funneled into a handful of US airports so passengers could be screened for the virus and sent to quarantine if needed

Which was a good idea, unfortunately it didn't work out the way they planned and enforcement was poor.  A good idea, though.

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

At home I go To the gym for 2 hours every day lifting weights of 200-260, rarely eat red meat, have a 34 inch waist, weigh 190 at 5’11 and I’m 68. You?

Oh, I'm not in shape at all, though I am pretty healthy.  My point was that taking your measure of choice (going to the gym daily) should not be the measure to determine how millions of people feel about something.  It's illogical and, ultimately, short-circuits what you're trying to say. 

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

At home I go To the gym for 2 hours every day lifting weights of 200-260, rarely eat red meat, have a 34 inch waist, weigh 190 at 5’11 and I’m 68. You?

But the lack of any Americans trying to stay in shape in the gym that was very crowded shows how seriously Europeans take exercise and health in comparison to us Americans. Who had the large guts? Only the Americans on board. No wonder we have 40% obesity!

I go the the cruise ship gyms daily and more than once/day if I can.  That opportunity is one of the reasons I like cruise ships.  

In all of this time I've never had anyone ask my nationality.  

I've been in all kinds of cruise ship dining facilities.  I've never had anyone ask my nationality.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Starting August 1, you have the choice of doing the 14 day quarantine, or having a negative Covid19 test within 72 hours of travel.

That is very interesting news.   This type of testing to pass international borders may also become more prevalent. 

I would be willing to getting the test wasn't too logistically difficult.  This beats the heck out of a 14 day quarantine.  I remember hearing of an Emirates flight were all the passengers were tested prior to boarding. 

I am sure HI is looking for some kind of solution as they are at least 80% dependent on tourism for their economy with the military and agriculture as the only other material sources of revenue for the state.   

Other tourist depend economies will also be looking for ways of moving forward as well.  Greece comes to mind in this regard as an entity that might look to accepting test results as a means of avoiding quarantine.  Other places like Mexico are just letting people come regardless without any regard for potential COVID impacts.

Edited by SelectSys

27 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I guess the point is on the Celebrity Reflection out of  Rome for 12 days with about 60% Americans onboard  I was quite astounded that each time I went to the ship’s gym (daily) there were at least 100 in attendance I was the lone American there repeatedly as I heard Only German, French, Italian, never English. I think this pretty well illustrates the difference in health and fitness between the two cultures.

The majority of the Americans I know that frequent a gym prefer to go in the early morning - to be sure it gets done and not put off if something interesting comes along later that day. My husband is one of those. Daily gym, but early in the morning, even on a cruise. I'll walk at least three miles on deck, again, early in the morning.

16 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That isn't the only way to judge fitness, you could be fit and never set foot in a gym, or go everyday and be very unfit.

I often watch marathons ( my wife runs them ),  I see what appear to be fit people bringing up the rear and some clearly looking obese people running in under 3 hours.   

I wouldn't be so naive to judge health by gym exercise, running or outward appearance.    

But I can agree that Americans as a whole walk less, drive more, and eat a lot more than their Eastern and European counterparts.   Everytime I fly I can see how overfills and invades my personal space more.  I can say only that they would all be fitter if they ate less and exercised more, LOL

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Again, just because a person does not work out in the gym on a cruise ship does not mean they don't try to live

a healthy life.  I prefer walking.   I never said people didn't eat too much,  but I also think your assumption that those

of us who don't use the gym don't like to live healthy is a bit off. But since you love the gym, have at it. 

Sometimes when my dog/avatar is being very silly, I call him a "cuckoo nut butt." )

34 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I would be willing to getting the test wasn't too logistically difficult.

We both got tested to be super safe, possible not probable exposure. It took 48 hours for the results. Since most of our travel - til now! - has been intl., we'd never make it.

On the "testing argument" as someone put it.  No one is saying testing causes CV-19 (I hope).  The intent of the argument is that the count of test positives will increase with the count of tests.  The famous comment was to say we are being picked on because we did more testing.  I do not believe there was any serious intent to curtail testing.  And I have yet to read anyone here that thinks testing should be reduced.    Now, I happen to disagree totally with the famous comment nor do I agree the "testing argument" explains our problem.  I don't need exaggeration to draw that conclusion and no should anyone else.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I also prefer walking, but not in a gym, as I prefer the fresh air out on the open decks. 

• Like 2

I just saw it announced,  EU will be unlikely to admit US Citizens starting July 1 (as usual, could be some exceptions).  The US is on the "bad country" list along with Russia.  Canada is good to go.  No note on how long this will be in effect. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I just saw it announced,  EU will be unlikely to admit US Citizens starting July 1 (as usual, could be some exceptions).  The US is on the "bad country" list along with Russia.  Canada is good to go.  No note on how long this will be in effect. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/europe-travel-ban-americans-eu-coronavirus-final-2020-6

Below is the core of the announcement.  Amazing the difference in case rates.  The personal liberty bias - "don't tread on me" - in the US along with the protesting of all varieties certainly leads to an amazing differences:

"The safe list will be reviewed every two weeks, and it will include countries with rates of new cases that are the same or lower than the EU's. The primary benchmark is the EU's average number of new infections per 100,000 people over the past two weeks. For the EU, that number is 16. For the US, it's 107.

Other criteria for inclusion on the list include the credibility of a country's public-health reporting.

Prohibiting American travelers would have significant consequences for the EU. Millions of US tourists visit countries in the bloc each year. As travel demand recovers and Americans seek to venture abroad again — and as economies normally reliant on tourism seek to curb the fallout from the pandemic — the exclusion of a large and lucrative group of tourists would be damaging."

There is another thread on people watching while cruising, but I'll adapt my observations to this thread:  On several cruises I have sat in the buffet and main pool area and counted how many obese people walked by me.  On the lowest bargain cruise line I counted 7 out of 10 as being obese, and 4 and 1/2 out of 10 on a more upscale line.  I've done this observation until I hit 100 persons observed, so while it is anecdotal and not scientific, it was a decent sampling.

Obesity, diabetes, HBP, cardiac issues and immune system disorders make us Americans more susceptible to this virus.   That explains why we have approx. 25% of the cases and 25% of the deaths while we only consist of 4 and 1/2% of the world's population.

3 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/europe-travel-ban-americans-eu-coronavirus-final-2020-6

Below is the core of the announcement.  Amazing the difference in case rates.  The personal liberty bias - "don't tread on me" - in the US along with the protesting of all varieties certainly leads to an amazing differences:

"The safe list will be reviewed every two weeks, and it will include countries with rates of new cases that are the same or lower than the EU's. The primary benchmark is the EU's average number of new infections per 100,000 people over the past two weeks. For the EU, that number is 16. For the US, it's 107.

Other criteria for inclusion on the list include the credibility of a country's public-health reporting.

Prohibiting American travelers would have significant consequences for the EU. Millions of US tourists visit countries in the bloc each year. As travel demand recovers and Americans seek to venture abroad again — and as economies normally reliant on tourism seek to curb the fallout from the pandemic — the exclusion of a large and lucrative group of tourists would be damaging."

People can get through times of no money better than they can get through times of no health.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

What I read in WaPo is that it will be reassessed every two weeks. Can't imagine the US situation improving significantly any time soon unfortunately

• Like 1