EU Considering Travel Ban on US Citizens

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The question remains will the rest of the US, especially many Southern state, learn their lesson like NY did.

Out of curiosity, did you have to quarantine after getting back for NY?

Crewmembers are exempt from quarantine in most countries,( it would be simply impossible to work if after every flight you need to quarantine yourself), but in some destinations, we are confined to our rooms and get tested on arrival.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Despegue said:

Crewmembers are exempt from quarantine in most countries,( it would be simply impossible to work if after every flight you need to quarantine yourself), but in some destinations, we are confined to our rooms and get tested on arrival.

OK, thanks. I did not realize you were a crew member.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:40 PM, ontheweb said:

And what about the luddites like me; I do not have a smart phone, in fact I do not even have a cell phone. (I do have masks.)

Hmmmmmm, that says a lot all by itself. 🤔

On 7/4/2020 at 7:45 AM, HappyInVan said:

Here's a positive example for our American friends to follow. British Columbia has a seventh of Canada's population. But, only 3% of the confirmed cases, and only 2% of the deaths. How was it possible when it has a huge Asian population?

No miracles here. We are not a Teutonic model of deep organization and preparation. Rather, our residents pulled together like soldiers.

This was a positive precondition.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/team-of-rivals-united-front-1.5570696

The government allowed the Provincial Health Officer to be the public face, and lead the campaign. The Premier was there to announce the lockdown and the reopening. The health minister worked behind the scenes, and credit must go to him for the strategic wins.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/long-term-care-crisis-covid19-pandemic-1.5589097

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ontario-recovery-stage-1.5586557

The Provincial Health Officer is widely admired and trusted. That said, she had focused too much on the hospital program. Displayed signs of inflexibility, and had to be overruled by the health minister.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-coronavirus-metro-vancouver-hospital-icu-death-rate-1.5589695

Moreover, BC has only done a modest amount of testing. So, we were fortunate that our residents didn't mess it up.

The interesting point is that the government did not impose shelter-in-place. Bars, salons, gyms and parks were closed. Factories and warehouses continued to operate. Offices did close their doors to the public. The courts were closed.

Most retail shops closed themselves and did not reopen till June. The media provided information without gratuitous political editorials.

The public was asked to avoid non-essential movement, and social distance. This they did like champions. The Premier didn't take credit for our success.

Everyone had a part to play, and they didn't trip over each other. Actually, I was really surprised by how smoothly it went. Our residents are known to be independent minded and prone to demonstrations.

Remember this important point. No one has a perfect game. What matters is how you recover from your mistakes. Hopefully, we will soon join our American friends on the cruise ships.

As another Vancouverite, I do wish you would insert the words "in my opinion" before criticising our Medical Officer of Health - you seem to have an axe to grind, while the majority of us do not agree with you in your opinion of her.   She has done a remarkable job - in my opinion and that of the rest of BC, I believe.
I apologise for having to post such a long "quote" but cannot abbreviate your original post. 

11 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

As another Vancouverite, I do wish you would insert the words "in my opinion" before criticising our Medical Officer of Health - you seem to have an axe to grind, while the majority of us do not agree with you in your opinion of her.   She has done a remarkable job - in my opinion and that of the rest of BC, I believe.

Sorry. No ax to grind. As usual, I tell it like it is.

Of course, I'm not saying that Dr, Henry did a poor job. Credit goes to her for her leadership during the critical months.

Let's also give credit to her silent partners; the Premier and her Minister. Its about TEAMWORK.

IMO, she did well enough under the circumstances, That's why I would give the lion's share of the credit to the people of BC, who did not resist. Complied with the recommendations, and was the main reason why the flood did not materialize.