Royal Clipper September.

JimmyDee54

Hi everyone. Just paid the final balance for Venice - Rome cruise, leaving 5th September 2020. Must say, I was ( and still am) very doubtful that this cruise will go ahead, but was advised to pay up in full, in order to get a full refund if the cruise is then cancelled. (If I cancel my booking now, I lose the deposit and flight costs). 
Just wondered if there are others out there hoping to go on this cruise. Not sure if we are actually looking forward to it now. If there are social distancing measures and compulsory masks etc. It will be a very different trip to the one we had hoped for, but ...fingers crossed.

2 minutes ago, JimmyDee54 said:

Hi everyone. Just paid the final balance for Venice - Rome cruise, leaving 5th September 2020. Must say, I was ( and still am) very doubtful that this cruise will go ahead, but was advised to pay up in full, in order to get a full refund if the cruise is then cancelled. (If I cancel my booking now, I lose the deposit and flight costs). 
Just wondered if there are others out there hoping to go on this cruise. Not sure if we are actually looking forward to it now. If there are social distancing measures and compulsory masks etc. It will be a very different trip to the one we had hoped for, but ...fingers crossed.

We were on the cruise before this one - I managed to cancel it & move the deposit to another cruise next year although I was a little apprehensive they would do it. We booked the flights with air-miles so easy to cancel & get the miles credited back to my account. Amazed if your cruise will still go although Venice seems to be open for business, 

To further complicate things, - our return flight from Rome to Manchester, with Jet2, is now cancelled !  Alternative looks like BA via Heathrow. Will have to change car park timings at Manchester also. Hey ho.

Royal Clipper cruises  all now cancelled until 5th September, so we are just hanging in there. Next update will probably be beginning of August.
Part of me wishes they would cancel, then we could look at rebooking for 2021. 
There again, it could be a great opportunity to see Venice, Rome, Dubrovnik, Kotor etc without all the usual crowds.

• 1 month later...

Finally. Royal Clipper cruises cancelled until 3rd October. At least we can move on and get a refund now, - next year not an option as already fully booked. It’s a shame, as we were really looking forward to this, our second Clipper cruise,  when we booked it  way back in 2018. Not committing to 2022 as I think the whole cruise industry will struggle for a long time now, at least until there is a vaccine for COVID-19.

3 hours ago, JimmyDee54 said:

Not committing to 2022 as I think the whole cruise industry will struggle for a long time now, at least until there is a vaccine for COVID-19.

We have a 13 night trip planned on the Star Flyer, Malta to Athens, booked for April 2021.  Our tenth or eleventh on Star Clippers, I believe.  Yep, we are worried about it, even though final payment is not until 25 January, 2021.  One of our major concerns is having to fly 3 hops from west Florida to Malta, taking ~ 20 hours or so.  Cannot even book that now because of flight restrictions, but truthfully, might cancel because of the airline travel issues, especially the long flight across the pond.  Also, not sure the port calls will remain the same.  🤔😷😪

On 8/4/2020 at 9:49 PM, cluso said:

We have a 13 night trip planned on the Star Flyer, Malta to Athens, booked for April 2021.  Our tenth or eleventh on Star Clippers, I believe.  Yep, we are worried about it, even though final payment is not until 25 January, 2021.  One of our major concerns is having to fly 3 hops from west Florida to Malta, taking ~ 20 hours or so.  Cannot even book that now because of flight restrictions, but truthfully, might cancel because of the airline travel issues, especially the long flight across the pond.  Also, not sure the port calls will remain the same.  🤔😷😪

We have a Safari in January & our next Clipper cruise in June - we were saying last night I do not think we will be going on either with the way it is now & there is no way I want to wear a mask while cruising so will sit this out I think.

We were hoping to do a European river cruise next year, but I think that is now on hold. I mentioned to my wife that we still have a tent in the garage from when the kids were small, and we could take that somewhere. Apparently I will be doing that on my own !

Just now, JimmyDee54 said:

We were hoping to do a European river cruise next year, but I think that is now on hold. I mentioned to my wife that we still have a tent in the garage from when the kids were small, and we could take that somewhere. Apparently I will be doing that on my own !

Luckily we live on the Isle Of Wight & were supposed to be on a Croatia Clipper cruise but we are now going to the New Forest for a week in a couple weeks time - it is so busy on the island with many people having a staycation which is great for local business & the economy.

• 10 months later...

Just thought I’d add an update to our present situation. We have now booked a Venice - Venice, 7 night cruise, on Royal Clipper, in August 2022. Will it go ahead ? Who knows, but we all need a bit of hope and something to look forward to don’t we ?