How often do you all cruise?

sprint180

Oh what I wouldn't do to fly to a cruise right now.  I used to not enjoy flying but now, boy, I would love to be on a plane.  In my mind if I lived by a port.  Or even within say 8 hours (driving distance for me  well maybe up to 15 hours) to a port I would cruise a lot more then once a year.  How often do you all cruise?  Flying makes it so much more expensive.

2 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Oh what I wouldn't do to fly to a cruise right now.  I used to not enjoy flying but now, boy, I would love to be on a plane.  In my mind if I lived by a port.  Or even within say 8 hours (driving distance for me  well maybe up to 15 hours) to a port I would cruise a lot more then once a year.  How often do you all cruise?  Flying makes it so much more expensive.

We normally cruise 2-3 times a year and usually from Baltimore ,NJ and Manhattan.

The last time we flew to a cruise port was in 2010 to Ft.Lauderdale.

We normally cruise twice a year , we always fly to port even cruising out of Texas, have cruised at least once every year since 1977. Also occasionally do Caribbean resorts. Lived in New York decades ago which was nice taking a taxi to the ship.

I cruise 1 or 2 times a year.  Living inland, I always have to fly.  And it does add to the cost of the cruise.  Airfare, transportation to the from home and airport, hotel, meals, port city transportation, etc.  Unless it's a European river cruise, I'm usually flying to FLL, San Diego, or Seattle.

We cruise between 2-4 times a year. A long time ago we could cruise on RCI out of San Pedro so just a quick 1 1/2 drive to port. Once RCI left our coast we now fly to port...just an added expense to keep up our addiction....which will increase now that DH has finally retired.

• Like 1

Prior to February, we cruise at least twice a year, long cruises.  We had 2 cruises booked for April & October this year.  April one got canceled and we booked a land tour instead.  Unfortunately, it wound up being at the same time as our October cruise, so we had to cancel that, also.

No cruises currently in the works, but I'd LOVE to cruise again.  But, not now.

Only once a year now, when we cruised with our kids it was twice a year.

Living in Minnesota, we always fly. Add me to the list of those who are jealous of those folks within' 8-10 hours of their port. We usually get to our departure airport two hours early and lately our wait at our returning airport has been a few hours wait. Close to an 8-10 hour drive.

We moved our January 2021 cruise to 2022, hope it works.

Edited by Mike981

We cruise about once every 2 years.  All our cruises involve flying. 

We usually like to spend a few days before the cruise in the city the cruise leaves from, and sometimes stay for a few days at the city the cruise ends.  Almost all of our cruises have been in Europe. 

We cruise many times per year, but we have a budget for cruises. We factor most aspects of a cruise vacation into our calculations and have a price threshold for spending on a cruise. So, if we can't score a deal on flights or pre-cruise hotels, we likely will stay in a lower category of stateroom and vice versa.

For us it was 2 to 3 per year.  Most involved air travel.    Cruises tapered off in the last few years as we did more land trips or combo land/cruise trips.  As far as air travel goes, it is still needed for the land trips.  Well, up to this crazy year of course.   

• Like 1

Usually about 3 a year and many more other land trips. There's a lot of comments about how much flying is. To be honest, we will usually fly the cheapest airline and will very rarely end up spending much more than $200 pp. In the grand scheme of life, $200 really isn't much, and there's a ton of ways to make up for it, vacation or not. Driving to a port is no cheaper for us. You still have to pay to park, tolls, fuel, food, car wear, rental car, etc. At the end of the day, we're talking a difference in pennies. It makes the most sense when you have more than 2 people though.

We build a reasonable vacation. We don't need the most expensive cruise ship rooms, we don't need to buy unlimited everythings. Go in off-peak season. Fly cheap.

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

2-3 times a year.   This year I took one in January..................boy does that seem like a long, long, long time ago.

Oh boy, you hit the nail right on the head.  We did a trip/cruise that ended Feb 7.  Seems like it was sooo long ago.   

53 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Usually about 3 a year and many more other land trips. There's a lot of comments about how much flying is. To be honest, we will usually fly the cheapest airline and will very rarely end up spending much more than $200 pp. In the grand scheme of life, $200 really isn't much, and there's a ton of ways to make up for it, vacation or not. Driving to a port is no cheaper for us. You still have to pay to park, tolls, fuel, food, car wear, rental car, etc. At the end of the day, we're talking a difference in pennies. It makes the most sense when you have more than 2 people though.

We build a reasonable vacation. We don't need the most expensive cruise ship rooms, we don't need to buy unlimited everythings. Go in off-peak season. Fly cheap.

We are very similar except for the airfare.  At this stage of my life, I won't fly without legroom.  I don't care about all the other upper class trappings.  I'm tall and won't fly scrunched up anymore.   So, our airfare is typically more expensive.  One of the many prices Mrs Ldubs must pay.  Haha.  

Started cruising in 2003, perhaps 60 cruises over 6 or 7 lines, most sailings 7 day, some 10 to 15 days, well over a total of a year+ at sea.  Flew from NYC to FL for the majority until 2018, love them frequent flyer points, used them extensively to lower air costs.

Since 2018 we can drive to Tampa, Ft Lauderdale or Miami in 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours, so no more flying unless exotic ports are involved.

We've had  Panama, Egypt and Nile River and Norway fjords cruises cancelled by COVID since March.

4 cruises since mid-2019, to Europe, SE Asia, and South America.  Before that binge, the last cruise we took was in 1993 (Caribbean).  Lots and lots of land trips over the last 40 years, to all corners of the globe.  We dipped our toes into the cruising market last year and decided we liked the experience!

12 hours ago, evandbob said:

Started cruising in 2003, perhaps 60 cruises over 6 or 7 lines, most sailings 7 day, some 10 to 15 days, well over a total of a year+ at sea.  Flew from NYC to FL for the majority until 2018, love them frequent flyer points, used them extensively to lower air costs.

Since 2018 we can drive to Tampa, Ft Lauderdale or Miami in 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours, so no more flying unless exotic ports are involved.

We've had  Panama, Egypt and Nile River and Norway fjords cruises cancelled by COVID since March.

I had 2 cruises cancelled from Covid as well. I was supposed to take my first TA crossing in April and it was also to

celebrate my retirement.  And then, after arriving in Europe I was going on a river cruise. I was going to be away for

almost 5 weeks---it was supposed to be a big celebration trip.

19 hours ago, sprint180 said:

We try to cruise every 12 to 18 months, sometimes from a port we can drive to, sometimes from a port where we have to fly, mostly depending on the itinerary we want to take.

We have done nine cruises since 2004 so around once every two years.

We don't fly economy anymore so rather cruise less and pay more for every cruise! We could afford to cruise more but my wife is eight years older than me and I plan to retire when she does so I try to save as much money as I can! 

Between cruises we take short trips around Europe. We really love London so have been there a lot. We always drink a bottle of Champagne at Searsys when we are in London and we recently found Bubbledogs where they serve hot dogs with Champagne, a very nice casual lunch!