Advice for Denali on Our Own Pre-Crusie

Rode Warrior

Next summer we are doing a southbound cruise out of Seward, and we want to take a few days to visit Denali before the cruise. We will fly in to Anchorage, and from there, I would like to know what the best bang for our buck will be for transportation, accommodations and tour. I intend to plan it all a-la-carte for myself, but I am open to a turn-key tour. I expect we will take the train one way or the other. (We have already taken the train from Seward to Anchorage). On the other leg, we will either take a bus or rent a car or even fly up to Fairbanks and rent a car. I am open to advice. I mainly want to know where we should stay for a couple of nights and if we should rent a car or book a bus tour.

www.alaskatravel.com will give you lots of information.  www.nps.gov/dena for Denali.  If you fly to Anchorage, you can rent a car and drive to Denali with a minimum stay of 2-3 nights in the area.  Make reservations to take a shuttle bus into the park as far as Eielson, Wonder Lake and/or Kantishna depending on what you want to see.  If you want to take the train you can take the Alaska railroad from Anchorage to Denali one way and the Park Connection bus the other way.  There are many options.  Read the trip reports above for what others have experienced in Alaska.

• Like 1

I, too recommend a round trip Anchorage rental car.   There aren’t on way options.  

I suggest you just repeat the Anchorage/Seward train.  Which is the superior scenic segment.   Anchorage/Denali just about parallels the Park’s Highway-  unlike the Seward section-  it’s mostly common views.  

Allow at least 2 nights. And I only recommend the Transit buses to at least Eielson.    Minimal distance.   I strongly suggest your trip has Denali June 1 and later.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I, too recommend a round trip Anchorage rental car.   There aren’t on way options.  

I suggest you just repeat the Anchorage/Seward train.  Which is the superior scenic segment.   Anchorage/Denali just about parallels the Park’s Highway-  unlike the Seward section-  it’s mostly common views.  

Allow at least 2 nights. And I only recommend the Transit buses to at least Eielson.    Minimal distance.   I strongly suggest your trip has Denali June 1 and later.  

If I might sneak in to someone else’s thread...

Do you recommend bear spray, if some hikes some of the trails near the visitor’s center of the NP?

I am in agreement with Budget Queen's and oaktreerb's recommendations.  

As to where to stay at Denali, my Nephew and I stayed at Rainbow Village RV Park and Motel in the motel section.  Minimalist accommodations is the proper description for what we experienced.  Clean, adequate for our 2 night stay and was less expensive than other alternatives in the area.  Unlikely that you will be spending much time "in your room", it might do.  Check Tripadvisor for reviews and decide for yourself.  An advantage of having a rental car is the opportunity of doing your own exploring of that area.  While dining is available at Denali, just a short drive North to Healy will provide more interesting and more local type dining options such as 49th State Brewing Company Restaurant among others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Do you recommend bear spray, if some hikes some of the trails near the visitor’s center of the NP?

I've never used bear spray.   What,  I always do use,  however is an empty soda can,  with rocks in it.   Although my family says I don't shut up=   it is hard being noisy all the time.  🙂   

I also,  will ask everyone going the other way,  what have you seen on trails.    🙂   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

We live in interior Alaska, and we don't even own bear spray.  The trails near the visitors center at the entrance are rather busy during normal tourist years, and that noise will help keep bears away.  But always be aware of your surroundings, and never approach wild life.  

But back to our OP's questions.  If you only want to go as far north as Denali then please consider renting a car in Anchorage. The train from Anchorage to Denali will consume more time than the scenery is worth (in my opinion).  Having a car in Denali will also be a time saver as you won't need to rely on shuttles.  If you want to take some of the tour options offered by companies such as Northern Alaska Tour Company, then consider renting a car in Fairbanks and driving down to Denali.

Accommodations in the Denali area vary considerably.  Discounts can be offered for more than one nights stay, so check carefully.  For instance, last summer the McKinley Chalets offered a great deal for those who booked more than one night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I read on another Alaska thread last year that one should always check out the bear scat you come across. If it has berries in it, it is likely a black bear. If it has bells in it and smells like bear spray, it's a Grizzly. 🙂

Edited by Rode Warrior
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thank you everyone. I think I am leaning toward the car rental and staying in Healy sounds prudent. I will check it out. I really thank you for the advice about the train. $325/ea for the premium ticket is a lot for the same scenery one gets from a car. The difference would buy a few meals and souvenirs. 

Regarding the Transit buses, if you get off one and catch a later one, is it hard to find room/seats?

2 hours ago, Rode Warrior said:

Thank you everyone. I think I am leaning toward the car rental and staying in Healy sounds prudent. I will check it out. I really thank you for the advice about the train. $325/ea for the premium ticket is a lot for the same scenery one gets from a car. The difference would buy a few meals and souvenirs. 

Regarding the Transit buses, if you get off one and catch a later one, is it hard to find room/seats?

There are waits for shuttle buses,  typically not extended.   I suggest you might want to consider your stops-  after- you are returning to the entrance.  

Buses start out with some empty seats    I don’t hesitate to get off or not continue with buses.   I can’t recall even waiting 30 minutes for a bus.    

• 2 weeks later...

In Late May/early June 2017, two girlfriends and I spent 7 days on land before taking the Celebrity Millennium 7-day southern cruise to Vancouver.  We had a wonderful stay at the Denali Dome Home.  The hosts were great - they gave us a lot of travel and local information and helped us book trains, etc. at a discount.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We rented a car after our cruise and loved it! We spent one night in Seward and took the 6-hour Kenai Fjords boat tour (a highlight! - saw whales, dolphin, bears on land, etc.).  The next day we drove to Denali.  Yes, it was a long day but still took less time than the train and we could stop when/if we wanted along the way.  We then stayed 2 nights in a B&B north of the Denali area. It was nice being away from the crowds after spending a week on the ship.  We were able to go to local eateries for dinner instead of the cruise owned resorts. We took the park bus to Eilson - it sounds dreadful to spend all day on a bus but it went by so quickly and we saw so much wildlife!  If you don't mind driving and like the idea of being on your own timing, you won't be sorry. We are planning our 2nd trip to Alaska in 2021 but sadly won't be doing a land tour this time as we are springing to bring our family.

Now, our friends went last year and they absolutely did not want to drive.  I helped them plan their post-cruise independent trip by taking a bus from Seward to Denali.  They stayed at the Grand Denali Lodge for 2 nights.  They returned to Anchorage via the train.  The train is more money, but other than the cost, they said they loved the train and almost wished they had taken it both directions. I have heard the route the train takes has superior scenery than the road (Anchorage to Denali portion).  I found a tour company for them that we booked their transportation, hotels, and excursions through with no markup from the cost you would book on your own (Alaska Tour & Travel). They probably get a cut, but it doesn't cost the consumer any more.  You can select one of their "tours" and customize it, or select your own individual components. You only pay one deposit, they make the reservations, and they have a generous cancellation policy.  After booking it and paying the deposit, you could still add/remove/change things up to a certain point. They were very helpful and it might take some of the stress out of your planning (I personally LOVE the planning part!).

3 hours ago, mscloyd said:They returned to Anchorage via the train.  The train is more money, but other than the cost, they said they loved the train and almost wished they had taken it both directions. I have heard the route the train takes has superior scenery than the road (Anchorage to Denali portion).  .

No,  wrong referenced route.    Anchorage/Seward is a superior scenic route compared to the Seward Highway.    Anchorage/Fairbanks  parallels the Parks Highway with mostly common views.    Not the best option either if short on time.  

On 6/25/2020 at 8:20 PM, Rode Warrior said:

Renting a car in Anchorage is a great option over being bused. You'll enjoy the freedom of stopping along the way wherever you want

I've stayed at the Denali Park Hotel (more of a motel...) at Healy and thought it was just fine. It wasn't all that expensive (relatively speaking), the rooms have everything you need (but aren't fancy) and are very clean. It's about 10-15 minutes from the Denali entrance. The 49th State Brewery steakhouse about a mile down from the hotel is very good in my opinion.

You should check if you qualify for a negotiated rate for a rental car - possibly thru your bank/credit union, employer, insurance, etc. My company has a negotiated rate with one of the rental companies and I use it every time I'm in Alaska - the rate is roughly 1/3-1/2 the normal rack rate plus it includes the extra insurances and additional drivers. A huge savings.

Good luck!

15 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

The 49th State Brewery steakhouse about a mile down from the hotel is very good in my opinion.

Yes!  My Nephew and I dined there 2 successive evenings and were quite pleased.  

On 6/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, cat shepard said:

Not needed. If you must, it can be had at Denali Mountain Works near the entrance to the park.

• Thanks 1

No,  wrong referenced route.    Anchorage/Seward is a superior scenic route compared to the Seward Highway.    Anchorage/Fairbanks  parallels the Parks Highway with mostly common views.    Not the best option either if short on time.  
Sorry for the misinformation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

As with other, strongly recommend renting a car. You will not be able to have much flegibility unless you do. 

Recommend a stop in Talkeetna, and there are a couple of pull offs specific to seeing Denali's peak - if the weather is cooperating. Highly highly recommend The Milepost - valuable info about all the things you will possibly see along the way. Easy to find on Amazon.  

I can further recommend Aurora Denali Lodge in Healy.  Super clean, comfortable and quiet.  We are a family of 4, we had one of their deluxe rooms that has a mini kitchen with sink, microwave, and some small appliances like a toaster. There's also a dormitory size refrigerator, with a table and chairs. 

We also very much enjoyed 49th State brewing after our transit bus to Eielson. Be sure to book your transit bus ahead of time (we booked as soon as reservations opened), prepare to take food and water with you, dress in layers, take your camera and binoculars, and enjoy that trip.

i suggest 3 nights in the area. One when you first get in, and a relaxing evening. Second after transit trip, and third after taking in all the rest that Denali offers (visitor center, sled dog kennel, quick hike, and the surrounding area. 

We also when 4 wheeling and had a blast on that ride. 

ENJOY!!

• Like 1