Virtual cruising

lenquixote66

56 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If cruising became a thing of the past would you consider Virtual cruising ?If so where would you like to visit ?

I would love to visit Dubai .

I would not reject the concept.  Where to "cruise once again"?  The Fjordland National Park of New Zealand, if I had to choose one.  The Dusky, Doubtful, and Milford Sounds remain among my favorites memory views.  

Milford Sound was indeed gorgeous, we have special memories of flying over it prior to ferrying around it all afternoon.

Virtual tours can make the time spent on a stationary treadmill or bike pass by - but then so can music.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

If cruising became a thing of the past would you consider Virtual cruising ?If so where would you like to visit ?

No.  We were in Dubai last year.

One of my nephews showed me some virtual reality goggles (whatever they are called).  I was in virtual Tibet among other places.  The realism was incredible.   I'm actually surprised the technology hasn't taken off.       

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Then you can do a virtual tour of any place on the planet,places that cruise ships would never go to.All you need is a bit of imagination.

But we've been able to do that for ages, right? I guess I don't get the point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Definitely in favour of a virtual visit to Dubai, actually going there, not so good.

Been there a few times, no desire to return.

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Definitely in favour of a virtual visit to Dubai, actually going there, not so good.

Curious why you returned.

11 minutes ago, clo said:

Curious why you returned.

First visit was 1976, when I disembarked a ship at anchor and went straight to the airport. Next 2 visits were to visit son & DIL. Fortunately, they no longer live there.

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

We did a virtual cruise 😂:

Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

We were fortunate to spend 6 weeks in OZ, NZ and the Cook Islands a few winters back.  While we enjoy cruising, we feel land vacations leave a deeper impression than short cruise port stops.  We would return to OZ & NZ (if COVID wasn't a concern and they allowed Americans in) because there is still so much more to experience in these countries.

Our best vacation memory is the time we spent in overwater bungalows in Moorea and Bora Bora, about 20 days divided by 2 trips. That was indeed priceless.

Edited by evandbob

35 minutes ago, evandbob said:

We were fortunate to spend 6 weeks in OZ, NZ and the Cook Islands a few winters back.  While we enjoy cruising, we feel land vacations leave a deeper impression than short cruise port stops.  We would return to OZ & NZ (if COVID wasn't a concern and they allowed Americans in) because there is still so much more to experience in these countries.

Our best vacation memory is the time we spent in overwater bungalows in Moorea and Bora Bora, about 20 days divided by 2 trips. That was indeed priceless.

When I visited French Polynesia we opted for the flight pass to island hop the Society archipelago while we took a cruise around the Marquesas. It was interesting to contrast our different travelling experiences for the same region. There is definitely pros and cons to each mode of travel. Hope you spent some time on Tahiti, one of our top experiences on that trip was 4wd tour through the mountains🤗. When you visited the Cook Islands did you make it to Aituaki? I hope you get a chance to revist Aus and NZ, our coastlines are beautiful but so are our interiors😉.

14 hours ago, clo said:

But we've been able to do that for ages, right? I guess I don't get the point.

The point is that if cruises will no longer exist and airline travel ceases to exist there may be a world of only virtual travel.

Just think if a science fiction writer wrote a book about a pandemic wiping out civilization in 2020 it would be laughed at.

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Aside from a cruise with a stop in South America I have never been out of North America .

26 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Ok, my choice for a virtual trip -- I want to go to the Rings of Saturn.  Yep, I'm talking space cruise!  But please, no tribbles.  

As long as HAL 9000 isn't along, that would be an interesting trip in actuality.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy “virtual” travel only to get my “fix” when I can’t physically travel. Whatever form of physically traveling opens first, I’m doing. I’d be road tripping it right now if the attractions weren’t closed. So I won’t be waiting until cruises start to start traveling. As for Dubai, I disembarked from a cruise there and stayed for a week, and LOVED it. One of the coolest places I’ve ever been.

18 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

I enjoy “virtual” travel only to get my “fix” when I can’t physically travel.

Since I am unable to enjoy a return visit to my family in Alaska, I am enjoying watching the Brown Bear web cam at Brooks Falls in Katami National Park.  The salmon are jumping, the bears are fishing, the sea gulls are awaiting the leftovers, and the sound of the water is so soothing.

• Like 2