More Excursions With A Cost

jhenry1

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

What a humorous article.  Regent rarely (if ever) stops in Nassau.  If Regent went there, I don’t think that many passengers would want to get off of the ship.  However, when Regent passengers fly half-way across the world to a destination, they want to see that destination.  

Is there a reason that you feel that Regent type passengers would not enjoy a stop in the Bahamas? Unless I misread it, there seems to be many scheduled stops planned. Obviously,  people may be flying half way around the world and looking forward to a Bahamas visit. Perhaps buying a straw hat and relaxing on a beach and taking a soothing salt water swim is just what you need. As you have pointed out many times, you want to support the local economies.

• Like 1

My opinion on why some formerly included excursions now have a cost is that social distancing requirements will cause busses, boats, and such to board fewer guests, requiring more of them for a given excursion.  Some included excursions in the past have had rather crowded accommodations, and that (hopefully) won’t be allowed in the future. We didn’t really enjoy crowded busses in the past, and just won’t get on one now.

Just a quick post ... Regent added some included excursions to the Regent Choice list about a year ago so it was unrelated to Covid-19 (at that time).  As I understand it, if the cost. of an excursion reaches a certain price point, Regent charges for it.  

In terms of Covid-19, it will cost Regent more money due to the additional number of buses that they will require for social distancing.

Travelcat2, what about guides and crowds? Can you imagine Dubrovnik, Venice, Monte Carlo and Barcelona?

Masks are there to prevent you from infecting others, a vaccine or any other therapy may help you.

I can’t believe that cruising will be safe anytime soon sadly. However, when I consider it safe to do so (my risk assessment), I will go. 

Hopefully sooner rather than later. 

I think future travel groups will be much  smaller in size. The thing about it is that if they want to keep a distance between their guests, they will have to drive them on bigger cars or vans for them to see far away from each other but even in this case no one is safe cause they still remain random people who might have touched something ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This all is why I fear that the cruise industry will not be able to satisfy all of us with distancing pre-vaccine. We will not allow us to be put in crowds until then, and only briefly after then. Onboard, Regent could do it on their ships. They were never crowded before. Well, maybe at events like the Captain’s reception, but we never went to that anyway.  But Regent has little control over what it’s guests encounter on shore excursions.  If Regent is trying to control crowded tour busses, and charging a fee for extra tour busses, I applaud them. But, of course, my opinion matters little here, as we are not going to book a cruise or an airline flight pre-vaccine. On a vacation that starts and ends with airline flights and has time on a Regent ship and excursions in the middle, the only thing Regent can control is the onboard time. It will do a good job at that. But the only two airlines that serve our airport are American and United, which have announced that they will resume filling the damnable middle seat. Is this distancing? I think not! Even if we pay an inflated price for first/business domestic, we are still in an overcrowded plane. And, if we survive to the embarkation port, what conditions will we face if we want to take a shore excursion?

Any attempts to get cruising going again, pre-vaccine, will he met with much hesitation by cruisers. I’m sorry, but it seems that Regent is trying as hard as it can, as it does not have total control over excursion operators or airlines. And I wish Regent did.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2

It sounds as if a lot of the future for some people will be the vaccine - a vaccine that many people already state that they will not take.  Even if Regent required all of their guests to provide proof that they have had the vaccine, it likely will not be 100% effective (or even close to that number) so precautions will still need to be taken until enough time has passed to see how many people get the virus after being vaccinated.  

• Like 1

TC2, 

I know a vaccine will probably not be 100% effective. The flu vaccine  I take every fall isn’t, but it has protected me from the worst for about 20 years.  And even  if there were treatments for Covid 19, like there is for HIV, I might consider getting in some crowds again. Now to be clear, I have never engaged in any risky behavior regarding HIV including sharing needles. I hate needles, even for my annual flu shot.  But to expose myself to crowded situations, where Covid 19 is spread from what I know, when there is no vaccine or treatment from what I know, I must say I won’t go on a cruise at this time, even though I love them. I am 76 years old, and my wife is 68. We are “targets” for death from Covid 19. Do we want to get into crowded airports and crowded planes and take crowded shore excursions?  In our case, no.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Guerncruising said:

TC2 ,

the evidence is simple. You have the vaccine and your Dr. provides a certificate which is then glued into your passport as per the smallpox vaccine when it used to be given in the UK.

Agree that it is simple.  What we do not know yet is the effectiveness of whichever vaccine a person takes.  It is great that both the U.S., U.K. and Israel (possibly more) have fast-tracked their vaccines and I believe that they will not cause harm.  However, won't it take time to determine how long the immunity will last?  We will learn more when the vaccine(s) are available but I would not feel 100% safe being around groups oof people for a while (which means that we'll cruise but will also social distance).

• Like 3

I don't see much point in wearing gloves.   Skin makes a pretty good barrier, and it is a lot easier to wash and keep clean than gloves.  Not to mention a heck of a lot more comfortable.  If you wear gloves for a prolonged period of time, everything you touch with them accumulates and your gloved hands can become the source of contamination for the rest of you.  I think people probably have more likelihood of washing their hands (without gloves) than changing their gloves on a regular basis.

Of course if you know you are going to touch something that is contaminated or needs to be protected from contamination, it would make sense to put on fresh gloves first, and then when you are done with that task, take the gloves off and wash your hands.  That is how they are (or at least used to be) used in a health care setting.  Now when my health care worker comes into the room already wearing gloves, I am very concerned about just how long they have been wearing them, and how many patients they may have touched before they got to me.

I don't mind wearing masks when needed, but a mandate for everyone to wear gloves on board would probably become a deal breaker for me.

Edited by SusieQft
  • Like 2

Susie, the issue with gloves is that everything you touch gets on the gloves.  If you take off the gloves the wrong way, whatever was on the glove gets on your hand.  You must remove the glove from the inside out and wrist to finger tip.  Any other method makes things worse.  As you and Pappy said it is better not to wear gloves and wash your hands frequently, using hand sanitizer in-between.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 1:35 PM, Guerncruising said:

Travelcat2, what about guides and crowds? Can you imagine Dubrovnik, Venice, Monte Carlo and Barcelona?

Masks are there to prevent you from infecting others, a vaccine or any other therapy may help you.

I can’t believe that cruising will be safe anytime soon sadly. However, when I consider it safe to do so (my risk assessment), I will go. 

Hopefully sooner rather than later. 

There is the issue of crowds and guides as you stated.  My hope is that there will be fewer people traveling this year and during the winter in 2021.  It may be a good thing that people in the U.S. cannot go to Europe since the places that you mentioned can definitely be crowded.  Our November cruise (if it sails) would have to change embarkation ports (currently scheduled for Barcelona). Turkey is open for us so perhaps we can embark there (the last time we did the same itinerary, it began in Istanbul).  

It is easy to look at reasons not to cruise but, at least for me, being at home is riskier (not specifically in my house but when we leave the house).  Some people in the U.S. are intentionally not wearing masks and are not social distancing.  In many cities there are protests (people yelling - without masks or social distancing).  Yelling (or singing) is the worst thing that you can do in the presence of others (I guess sneezing or coughing or another person is worse but thankfully that is not a behavior that I've seen).  

The ship will be constantly sanitized and protocols will be followed.  So, IMO, being on the ship is a true vacation from being home for the past four months.  If we cannot go ashore, I would still rather be on a ship in the. middle of the ocean - watching for flying fish, or other sea life - having meals prepared for us, being able to talk too people (while maintaining social distance and wearing a mask), etc.  This is not for everyone but it is for us.

For those discussing gloves, obviously this is a personal choice.  All health care workers are wearing masks and gloves (and many are also wearing face shields).  I put on gloves when I get out of my car and wear them until I return to my car.  In between, I disinfect them (I carry a small spray bottle).  Before I open my car door, I disinfect them and remove them "properly" when I get into the car and dispose of them immediately leaving me with clean hands.  I'm not sure where everyone else is washing their hands but where I live I would need to go into a restroom to wash them.  At the moment, I am avoiding restrooms.

It is up to each of us to be diligent and to pay attention to what we are touching and who we are too close to.  No one needs to advise us in this area as there are plenty of protocols that the medical community has set forth.  I'm not suggesting that others wear gloves but it works for me and I definitely feel safer doing so.  As an aside, I did purchase a UV light wand and use it on surfaces in the house.  

• Like 1

TC2,

I think that my comments are being made as a result of us being Covid free for over two months now and I feel that it would be just selfish to go off island and risk bringing the virus back and passing it to others.

My parents and daughters live in the UK and we were planning to visit them in February when this happened. Guernsey locked down hard with punitive penalties for those who did not obey (fortunately only a few), but managed to get rid of the virus quite quickly. 

We are trying an experiment this week by allowing people to visit the UK and self isolate on return. It is also possible to go to the Isle of Man, also Covid free, for a holiday. That being said, our flights are restricted to Southampton and there are still no ferries to the UK or France. So living on a Covid free island has benefits,no masks etc., and drawbacks, no travel.

Hey ho we just put up with it. 

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

For those discussing gloves, obviously this is a personal choice.  All health care workers are wearing masks and gloves (and many are also wearing face shields).  I put on gloves when I get out of my car and wear them until I return to my car.  In between, I disinfect them (I carry a small spray bottle).  Before I open my car door, I disinfect them and remove them "properly" when I get into the car and dispose of them immediately leaving me with clean hands.

That is great, and if everyone did this our world would be a safer place.  I have never seen anyone "disinfect" their gloves, but  agree with you that it is a good idea.  What about your small spray bottle, and your purse or pocket or wherever you keep it?  Do you disinfect that also?  That is a serious question, because I worry about that too.  I have a pump dispenser in the cup holder of my car, and the first thing I do after opening the car door is disinfect my hands (and the plunger on the pump) before I touch anything else.  Which admittedly still leaves the outside door handle to worry about.  I give it a good long exposure to direct sunlight, and/or wipe it down when I get home.

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I'm not sure where everyone else is washing their hands but where I live I would need to go into a restroom to wash them.  At the moment, I am avoiding restrooms.

Me too, but I would not be afraid to use one.  I have just not been away from home long enough to need a public restroom, but if I did I would wash my hands well and use a paper towel to open the door.  Meanwhile, I do make liberal use of hand sanitizer when I am out.

48 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

That is great, and if everyone did this our world would be a safer place.  I have never seen anyone "disinfect" their gloves, but  agree with you that it is a good idea.  What about your small spray bottle, and your purse or pocket or wherever you keep it?  Do you disinfect that also?  That is a serious question, because I worry about that too.  I have a pump dispenser in the cup holder of my car, and the first thing I do after opening the car door is disinfect my hands (and the plunger on the pump) before I touch anything else.  Which admittedly still leaves the outside door handle to worry about.  I give it a good long exposure to direct sunlight, and/or wipe it down when I get home.

Me too, but I would not be afraid to use one.  I have just not been away from home long enough to need a public restroom, but if I did I would wash my hands well and use a paper towel to open the door.  Meanwhile, I do make liberal use of hand sanitizer when I am out.

I guess that I am afraid to use one - especially if it did not have a cover to close when the toilet is flushed.  In terms of hand sanitizer, I learned that I am allergic to some of them (my hands started breaking out - likely because I was using it too much).  So, when I use it to sanitize the gloves, I am protecting my hands.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I guess that I am afraid to use one - especially if it did not have a cover to close when the toilet is flushed.  In terms of hand sanitizer, I learned that I am allergic to some of them (my hands started breaking out - likely because I was using it too much).  So, when I use it to sanitize the gloves, I am protecting my hands.

You can make your own hand sanitizer.  All you have to do is make sure that the final alcohol content is at least 60% after you add aloe vera.  Here is a link to one good set of instructions:  https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer

I am using some homemade sanitizer that is 2 parts grain alcohol (190 proof, 95% ethanol, from a liquor store) and 1 part aloe vera gel.  The essential oils/lemon juice are optional and just included in the recipe to make it smelly for those who like that sort of thing.  I don't, and it adds something that you can be allergic to.  I like this much better than any of several commercial hand sanitizers that I had on hand.  I think the aloe vera gel really helps, instead of a bunch of other stuff that you find in some commercial products.  I used grain alcohol because I was able to find some and at the time I could not find 91% rubbing alcohol.  So I have not done a direct comparison, but this is much friendlier to my skin than regular 60-70% rubbing alcohol or the commercial sanitizers I had.  I'm sure that is at least in part due to the aloe vera, but maybe the ethanol might be friendlier than isopropyl alcohol as well.  You could try one and if you don't like it try the other.

It is easy to make, and should be less likely to cause an allergy problem.  I am using it in a pump dispenser, but it is thin enough to work in an aerosol sprayer as well if you prefer that.

Don’t forget to take care of the inside of the body as well. I use an undiluted tequila with about a quarter of a lime. I also believe that a small amount of salt helps to ward off COVID and other viruses 🦠.

Just don’t inject any of these medicines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

In my post, when I referred to gloves, I wear them when I am shopping.

I will not touch anything outside with my bare hands. 
My hands are washed before I leave the house.  

Gloves  go on exiting the car to go into a store. 

Gloves come off when I enter the car, after I wipe them off with Lysol cloths, which is in the cup holder.

Off they come after the wipe down.  

Wash my hands as soon as I enter the house.. My doctor told me to do this. 
sheila

And, yes I plan to take the earliest cruise I can get because I believe the cruise lines do not want another shutdown and will do everything in their power to keep us safe. I do not plan to get off at the ports because we just want to enjoy the ship. 

On 7/5/2020 at 1:03 PM, SusieQft said:

I don't see much point in wearing gloves.   Skin makes a pretty good barrier, and it is a lot easier to wash and keep clean than gloves.  Not to mention a heck of a lot more comfortable.  If you wear gloves for a prolonged period of time, everything you touch with them accumulates and your gloved hands can become the source of contamination for the rest of you.  I think people probably have more likelihood of washing their hands (without gloves) than changing their gloves on a regular basis.

Of course if you know you are going to touch something that is contaminated or needs to be protected from contamination, it would make sense to put on fresh gloves first, and then when you are done with that task, take the gloves off and wash your hands.  That is how they are (or at least used to be) used in a health care setting.  Now when my health care worker comes into the room already wearing gloves, I am very concerned about just how long they have been wearing them, and how many patients they may have touched before they got to me.

I don't mind wearing masks when needed, but a mandate for everyone to wear gloves on board would probably become a deal breaker for me.

I think people are talking about wearing gloves when need--not all the time.  Not wearing them people touch their face a lot more-even with a mask on.  I'd go for the rubber ones that you toss out after wearing (like know going to the grocery store type).

Better safe than sorry later.

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

In my post, when I referred to gloves, I wear them when I am shopping.

I will not touch anything outside with my bare hands. 
My hands are washed before I leave the house.  

Gloves  go on exiting the car to go into a store. 

Gloves come off when I enter the car, after I wipe them off with Lysol cloths, which is in the cup holder.

Off they come after the wipe down.  

Wash my hands as soon as I enter the house.. My doctor told me to do this. 
sheila

And, yes I plan to take the earliest cruise I can get because I believe the cruise lines do not want another shutdown and will do everything in their power to keep us safe. I do not plan to get off at the ports because we just want to enjoy the ship. 

Nicely said, couldn't agree more.

• Like 1