Change to Quarantine Requirement with Negative COVID Test Result

logan25

33 minutes ago, logan25 said:

As of August 1, visitors who provide a negative test result up to 72 hours prior to arrival will not be required to self quarantine for 14 days.

So how does that help a cruise passenger who leaves LA, etc 5 days before arriving in HI?

I did not claim such.  My post is merely a link to evolving environment.

But then again not all cruises visiting the Hawaiian Islands depart from the West Coast.  One ship, to my knowledge, departs from Honolulu, if and when it is allowed to sail with paying passengers.

Edited by logan25

On 6/25/2020 at 3:10 PM, logan25 said:

One ship, to my knowledge, departs from Honolulu, if and when it is allowed to sail with paying passengers.

While it's encouraging that the 14 day quarantine requirement now has a reasonable work around with the negative test, it's not like even the inter island cruise on Pride of America is coming back any time soon. While you can visit the islands starting in August, the ship itself is a prime environment for the virus to spread in. I can't see them giving the green light on that right away. 

I've been waiting for a change and a safe heath option for Hawaii.    I travel there a couple times every year,  so ,  looking for another trip.   Of course,  their quarantine was strict and it's not ideal for a visitor.   

I'm heading to Alaska in August,  and will consider a September trip to wonderful Hawaii.   🙂    

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 8:25 AM, logan25 said:

As of August 1, visitors who provide a negative test result up to 72 hours prior to arrival will not be required to self quarantine for 14 days.

Our Governor just announced this afternoon that the August 1st date mentioned above has been changed to September 1st.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Our Governor just announced this afternoon that the August 1st date mentioned above has been changed to September 1st.

Thanks for letting us know.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:43 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

The Pride of America is an NCL ship, and cruises for all of their ships for August and most/perhaps all of September have been cancelled by them. 

We're on the POA in November.  I guess we'll have to do whatever is required by Hawaii at that time.  We have every intention of going on the cruise unless NCL cancels it, which I doubt they will do since it's such a popular cruise for them.

7 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We have every intention of going on the cruise unless NCL cancels it, which I doubt they will do since it's such a popular cruise for them.

Remember that no matter how much NCL wants the Pride of America to sail, it won't be doing any cruises until the CDC says so.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:32 PM, Diver2014 said:

I guess we'll have to do whatever is required by Hawaii at that time.  We have every intention of going on the cruise unless NCL cancels it, which I doubt they will do since it's such a popular cruise for them.

CDC just extended the cancellation of all cruises trough September citing that cruises are a major cause of spread of the virus. On top of that Hawaii is said to be mulling a cruise ban through the end of the year. Not to be debbie downer but I seriously doubt that POA will operate in 2020. 

On 7/17/2020 at 10:16 AM, princeton123211 said:

CDC just extended the cancellation of all cruises trough September citing that cruises are a major cause of spread of the virus. On top of that Hawaii is said to be mulling a cruise ban through the end of the year. Not to be debbie downer but I seriously doubt that POA will operate in 2020. 

I'm waiting out a trip.   So,  now,  I'll look at Sept.      I agree,  I don't see any POA sailing this year.    

On 7/13/2020 at 5:55 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Any bets on that date being Oct 1 next, then Nov 1?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

With the inter-island 14 day quarantine being reinstated due to increased cases, the implementation date for the program to avoid a quarantine for transpacific arrivals will undoubtedly be extended past 9/1. The governor waited until 2 weeks in advance to extend the 8/1 date & is hinting he’ll do the same thing soon. Speculation is that the 72 hour negative test results program won’t be available even beginning on 10/1 because of more cases.

Based on local news coverage most of the increased number of cases are primarily caused by residents who have large gatherings without social distancing or wearing masks. NJ/NY/CT have added HI arrivals to their list of states that require a 14 day quarantine due to the increased number of cases.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the Oct 15 date has to be solid, based on what businesses will have to do between than and now to get ready (getting back employees, ordering food, training on implementing new C-19 procedures, etc. If there is an explosion of new cases on Oahu or on the mainland between then and now, I would not put it past Ige to try and change; not sure he could.

If I was the cruise lines I'd be asking for permission to sail to HI from the West Coast beginning no later than Dec. 1 and I'd skip Honolulu as a port.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

I think the Oct 15 date has to be solid, based on what businesses will have to do between than and now to get ready (getting back employees, ordering food, training on implementing new C-19 procedures, etc.

It hasn't stopped them before. Our family on Maui said the hotels and restaurants there were getting ready for previous times it was supposed to be lifted and then was rescinded. Some of the restaurants have told them that they basically have one shot at this-- they cant afford to ramp up again only to be told that its being extended-- the costs in doing so would put them permanently out of business. 

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

If I was the cruise lines I'd be asking for permission to sail to HI from the West Coast beginning no later than Dec. 1 and I'd skip Honolulu as a port.

Theres no way the CDC is going to lift the no sail order this year.