Mediterranean Info

Callie4Gracie

I am booking a Princess cruise that goes from Athens to Santorini to Kotor to Sicily to Naples to Barcelona

In looking at a map, it appears that I would prefer the right side of the ship, however, I do not know if there is any land to be seen. Has anyone had this cruise experience and can you give me a review.

Thanks a bunch. 

We did a similar reverse trip in 2017 leaving Barcelona, ending in Rome.   We were on the starboard  side but it did not really matter that much.  Stromboli was a pretty amazing sail by as well as the Straits of Messina, Bay of Kotor, and Santorini.  An excellent itinerary.  We sailed by Stromboli and Messina twice on this cruise.

All the land on your itinerary will be on the right side of the ship (except Sardinia).  You will be far away from land as you sail between Naples and Barcelona except when you pass between Sardinia and Corsica, which are pretty close together, on a day at sea so hopefully you'll see both a bit.  We never booked a cabin based on its view while at sea as we preferred to be on deck at such times.  Much wider view out there!  Going by Stromboli is interesting so, hopefully, you'll do that during daylight as we did.  Sounds like a wonderful itinerary.

Edited by BarbinMich

Last summer we passed Stomboli at night. Our Captain had been informed that an eruption was likely so he sailed to viewing distance. We could make out the looming  shape in the dark and as we drew level almost on cue  the lava began. It was an amazing sight and I wondered how close to the little lights of houses along the edge it came. We watched it flow to the sea. Above more to see as a burst of shooting stars passed. A truly amazing evening. We had visited Pompeii earlier that day and Vesuvius was quiet. However Etna had a little smoke on our visit.

Kotor is like sailing through the Fjords beautiful scenery. Our arrival was early and in August but the light was low. The sail out was much better bright and sunny everyone crowded on the decks to watch.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

A  Going by Stromboli is interesting so, hopefully, you'll do that during daylight as we did.  Sounds like a wonderful itinerary.

We've been past by Stromboli a couple of times. If it is active (like it is now) it is better at night. Last time we went past at about 11pm and the captain had mentioned it earlier in the day in his updates. It was having plenty of minor eruptions and they really stood out in the night sky. One of the highlights of any cruise I have been on. 

• Like 1

Done the Med’ many times. We’ve embarked/disembarked in Barcelona, Venice, Athens and Rome and found it makes no difference what side of the ship we pick. Don’t have a preference either other than near the stern.

7 hours ago, leck57 said:

We've been past by Stromboli a couple of times. If it is active (like it is now) it is better at night. Last time we went past at about 11pm and the captain had mentioned it earlier in the day in his updates. It was having plenty of minor eruptions and they really stood out in the night sky. One of the highlights of any cruise I have been on. 

That must have been a great sight!  May I ask how you happened to be going past it at 11 pm?  Were you on a cruise ship?

6 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

That must have been a great sight!  May I ask how you happened to be going past it at 11 pm?  Were you on a cruise ship?

Yes we were on the Royal Princess on a Med cruise about 3 years ago. Stromboli is far more active at the moment than it was then so it would be a great sight to be cruising past at night at the present time.

Sailing away from Kotor is amazing.  Go out on deck or into the topmost lounge with a view.  Not only is the scenery spectacular, but the whole area around St. George and Our Lady of the Rocks islands is beautiful.  The town opposite the islands is very medeival looking, and Our Lady is a monastery out in the middle of the bay. 

It's a beautiful 1+ hour sail away from Kotor, and not to be missed.

If you are docking in Messina, then you can see Stromboli in the early morning.  Be sure to go to Taormina:  one of our top favorite places in Europe.