Final Payment Date - Did HAL Change the final payment dates in response to the crisis

Mary229

I am sure I simply missed this......I have not been able to find a link but I heard on a podcast that HAL has changed the final payment date for close future cruises.  The podcaster said it went from 90 to 60 days for longish cruises.  Is that true?  Can you provide a link?  Thank you.  

Yes, HAL did change the final payment date for cruises in the near future.

I think the details are in their “Cruise With Confidence” promo.  Important to note as Crazy For Cats mentioned is that the cancellation dates did NOT change so cancellation penalties come into effect before final payment.  Same thing if you want HAL’s insurance or any other travel insurance policy.  Has to be bought before cancellation penalties start.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

They changed the final payment date for my November cruise.  They did not change the date for cancellation penalty.

Same for us.   The final  payment date was bumped a month back but cancellation charge dates remain the same.  I will add platinum plan before the original payment date but not make final payment until the new due date.  

For my October HAL Cruise, the final payment date is August 18th. However, folks who would want to book the cruise now have now have a final payment date due in just a few days. I know that they can't change my agreement on my final payment date, but it is interesting that they want to collect money ASAP from other people. Doesn't sound much like a cruise guarantee promotion; more like a grab the money before they cancel the cruise promotion.

8 hours ago, JB Books said:

For my October HAL Cruise, the final payment date is August 18th. However, folks who would want to book the cruise now have now have a final payment date due in just a few days. I know that they can't change my agreement on my final payment date, but it is interesting that they want to collect money ASAP from other people. Doesn't sound much like a cruise guarantee promotion; more like a grab the money before they cancel the cruise promotion.

Sounds like they are offering a FLASH fare - instant purchase (pay in full at booking), non-refundable, deep discount fares with no perks or promos.  The terms of those fares are different from standard early booking fares.  There may be other fare codes available for those same people but at a higher cost, that have standard payment terms and cancellation fees.  This has been common for HAL for several years to offer these type of instant purchase fare promos.

12 hours ago, JB Books said:

For my October HAL Cruise, the final payment date is August 18th. However, folks who would want to book the cruise now have now have a final payment date due in just a few days. I know that they can't change my agreement on my final payment date, but it is interesting that they want to collect money ASAP from other people. Doesn't sound much like a cruise guarantee promotion; more like a grab the money before they cancel the cruise promotion.

I put a deposit on a cruise (Hawaii) anticipated leaving on October 17, 2020 just last week. (realistically, I think HAL is going to cancel it)

* final day to cancel for full refund is July 18, 2020 (90 days in advance)

* final payment is due August 18, 2020 (60 days in advance)

* final day to cancel without penalty is September 17, 2020 (30 days in advance).  However HAL will keep the full amount of the prepaid cruise and can be used for full credit (FCC) on another cruise booked within 12 months of cancellation.  We are willing to let the full pre-paid cost of cruise to ride for as much as 12 months if we decide to cancel prior to 30 days before the cruise.

Here is the current HAL "Book with Confidence" policy as of yesterday:

Terms & Conditions: The Book with Confidence offer ("Offer") is available for Holland America Line cruises sailing on or before December 31, 2021 ("Eligible Cruise"). For new and existing bookings only made by August 31, 2020, for Holland America Line cruises sailing on or before December 31, 2021, consumers can cancel up to 30 days before the Eligible Cruise’s departure and the consumer will receive a Future Cruise Credit ("FCC") equal to the non-refundable amount paid to Holland America Line. The value of the FCC is subject to verification and will be determined by the actual non-refundable cancellation fees for the Eligible Cruise's booking, less any amount refunded in the form of original payment. Cancellation Protection Plan or Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan ("CPP"/"CPPP") premiums and reimbursed amounts shall not be included in the value of the FCC. Consumers cancelling Eligible Cruises must visit https://book2.hollandamerica.com/bwc/ and fill out the form with all requested information at least 30 days before the departure date of the Eligible Cruise. Once verified and processed, the FCC will be applied to the consumer’s Mariner number. If consumer does not have a Mariner number, Holland America Line will create a Mariner number for the consumer. Consumer must use the FCC towards a future Holland America Line cruise booking within 12 months from date of issue or it will be forfeited in its entirety. FCC is only valid on cruises sailing in 2020 - 2022. FCC may be subject to additional terms and conditions as provided by Holland America Line and may not be used for deposits, taxes, fees, or port expenses, or CPP/CPPP. The value of the FCC and the Offer are non-transferrable, are not redeemable for cash, and have no cash value. May not be combined with any other offers. Offer may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Any promotion or offer available during or with the Eligible Cruise booking shall not apply to the subsequent booking. May be subject to additional terms and conditions.

Also, my TA tells me to be very careful about purchasing a Cruise Cancellation policy.  Some, but not all, will cover a named pandemic (in this case Covid-19) and some won't.  She prefers a private company,  ******* Insurance (don't know if naming the company is a violation of the CC guidelines) because in her opinion it is most encompassing policy.  It does cover Covid-19 specifically, but you must prove you have contracted the virus prior to the cruise to get full refund.  You can't just say you are afraid you might get it.

Edited by El Crucero