As ships are retired, sold, or scrapped....

rkacruiser

....due to the pandemic and the need for cruise lines to reduce the size of their fleets, keep this suggestion in mind.

If you have "stuff", whatever "stuff",  that you brought home from a cruise on any of those ships, what may today seem like "trash" will actually increase in value--dollar value--the longer that you keep it and as difficult for such items become to obtain.  The better condition that material can be kept, its value will increase.  I collect ocean liner memorabilia.  Many others do as well.  It has been an education for me to see items that I collected many years ago at little or no cost now command the price that they do when they are put on the market.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/26/2020 at 5:30 PM, rkacruiser said:

....due to the pandemic and the need for cruise lines to reduce the size of their fleets, keep this suggestion in mind.

If you have "stuff", whatever "stuff",  that you brought home from a cruise on any of those ships, what may today seem like "trash" will actually increase in value--dollar value--the longer that you keep it and as difficult for such items become to obtain.  The better condition that material can be kept, its value will increase.  I collect ocean liner memorabilia.  Many others do as well.  It has been an education for me to see items that I collected many years ago at little or no cost now command the price that they do when they are put on the market.  

Can you define some of the “stuff”.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Can you define some of the “stuff”.

Menus, Daily Programs, document folders that were originally used to send tickets and luggage tags to guests, gifts that were given to commemorate a specific cruise, cruise brochures and deck plans, unused luggage tags, items purchased on the ship, for example, a numbered crystal goblet celebrating HAL's Centennial, a crystal model of the Amsterdam signed in gold ink by the Captain and Hotel Manager to commemorate HAL's Golden Anniversary Grand World Voyage, a candy tin from the Queen Mary, ash trays (both purchased as well as those who "found" there way into one's luggage), match books,  and so much other "stuff".  

I recently acquired the Inaugural Book for the original Royal Princess; the nicest one that I have in my collection.  Along with that item, I acquired a leather folder with pen with "Cunard" embossed in the leather that had a place for a pad of paper.  I was told it was used on QE2 by Stewards in the Lounges to take drink orders.  

Because of a disaster that affected my home, I lost all of my memorabilia from the 1940's-early 1980's.  Nice embossed covered First Class deck plans of the Queens, menus from the France, full sets of menus for a voyage of a few ships,  brochures of many types (a special one was from the Italian Line showing the interiors of Cristoforo Colombo--supposedly--but the name of the ship in many of the photo's captions was poorly "silvered" out and one could read the name "Andrea Doria" in the caption):  all, and more of what I once collected, I have seen for sale by dealers of ocean liner memorabilia.  The one item that has surprised me the most was a souvenir photo booklet of Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth that I bought at the pier when I visited the Queen Mary on sailing day.  Black and white photos showing the ships' interior's in all three Classes.  It cost 50 cents.  I have seen copies that are in excellent to pristine condition selling for $25 or more.  

If interested, one ought to visit the web site of an ocean liner memorabilia dealer and see what they have for sale.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Menus, Daily Programs, document folders that were originally used to send tickets and luggage tags to guests, gifts that were given to commemorate a specific cruise, cruise brochures and deck plans, unused luggage tags, items purchased on the ship, for example, a numbered crystal goblet celebrating HAL's Centennial, a crystal model of the Amsterdam signed in gold ink by the Captain and Hotel Manager to commemorate HAL's Golden Anniversary Grand World Voyage, a candy tin from the Queen Mary, ash trays (both purchased as well as those who "found" there way into one's luggage), match books,  and so much other "stuff".  

I recently acquired the Inaugural Book for the original Royal Princess; the nicest one that I have in my collection.  Along with that item, I acquired a leather folder with pen with "Cunard" embossed in the leather that had a place for a pad of paper.  I was told it was used on QE2 by Stewards in the Lounges to take drink orders.  

Because of a disaster that affected my home, I lost all of my memorabilia from the 1940's-early 1980's.  Nice embossed covered First Class deck plans of the Queens, menus from the France, full sets of menus for a voyage of a few ships,  brochures of many types (a special one was from the Italian Line showing the interiors of Cristoforo Colombo--supposedly--but the name of the ship in many of the photo's captions was poorly "silvered" out and one could read the name "Andrea Doria" in the caption):  all, and more of what I once collected, I have seen for sale by dealers of ocean liner memorabilia.  The one item that has surprised me the most was a souvenir photo booklet of Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth that I bought at the pier when I visited the Queen Mary on sailing day.  Black and white photos showing the ships' interior's in all three Classes.  It cost 50 cents.  I have seen copies that are in excellent to pristine condition selling for $25 or more.  

If interested, one ought to visit the web site of an ocean liner memorabilia dealer and see what they have for sale.

Very interesting .I have a small collection of similiar things.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have some items for ships that have been recently scrapped including an Inaugural book for Carnival's Imagination. I also have an Inaugural plate for HAL's 1997 Rotterdam which has been sold, as well as postcards for their veendam and amsterdam. I also have items for Carnival's Fascination, Jubilee, Fantasy which were all scrapped in 2020, except for the Jubilee in 2016. I also have a lot of items that have been scrapped for years too. Many items from lines that don't even exist anymore. One nice item I have is a *pre-launch* postcard of the Aquitania still being built, also an *original 1914 postcard for the RMS Britannic* that I got from an estate auction. 1969 Inaugural foldout for the QE2, Inaugural brochure for the newly names Celebrity Cruises (Chandris' name is also on the brochure) for the Horizon and Meridian (Celebrity at top, Chandris at the bottom), Pre-Inaugural brochure for the Costa Riviera, Costa Classica and Costa Marina

aquitania_before_launch_by_wildelf34_dea9gfj-pre.jpg

1914 RMS Britannic Postcard.jpg

qe2_1969_maiden_year_foldout_by_wildelf34_dctwhfc-fullview.jpg

d8xlhro-c4976215-cae3-4e5a-a27c-cf120ce7c572.jpg

d8xlapz-d697e86c-d80b-4625-beb7-9d7a7e32a8aa.jpg

d8xldcb-66e2316e-e90f-4044-b746-3734aafe7221.jpg

d8xlg3p-8229d21b-fd91-4319-9c25-109fd18494c4.jpg

• Like 1