Where have you visited on a cruise that you would return for a Land-only vacation?

TeeRick

Its very a hard question really. There are so many nice cruises that I would like to take and that I have already taken.. These days options are almost unlimited and the competition is very high. No matter where you would like to go you will get the highest service possible. Sorry, but I cant choose

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

mrsgoggins, Jane McDonald emphasised this last night on ‘Cruising with Jane McDonald, when she was watching a sunset in Santorini. The camera panned round to show throngs of tourists from the ship, also watching the sunset.

(Jane McDonald was a singer on Galaxy, who was filmed for a BBC series ‘The Cruise. That programme , encouraged us to try Celebrity Cruises).

Funnily enough I’d recorded it and just watched half of it before seeing your reply.  It’s a lovely programme so I’m going to save it ..... the sail into Kotor, walking around Split, the ship itself, even Jane’s cheesy (but good imho) version of ‘It’s now or never’ whilst on a gondola in Venice ....... sigh!   I’ll watch the second part with Santorini tomorrow 😊.

After visiting Borneo and Bali on a cruise we returned to both as part of a land holiday flying into and leaving from Kuala Lumpur.  Both didn’t disappoint. Visiting the Orangutan and sun bear sanctuary’s  in Borneo was a fantastic experience. 

after a port stop in Rome we planned a week precruise the next time. Fabulous old city to explore. We want to return to the Amalfi Coast.  We want to explore British Columbia as we live in Nova Scotia. This summer we ill explore more at home where we are now covid free

Having previously spent a month traveling through Italy, we went back and spent a week in Venice and the Venetian islands. Wonderful visit. We would like to do a week or two in Rome. Great place. Outside of Civitavecchia, Rome's cruise port, a must do is Tarquinia. It is an old walled city dating back to the Etruscan’s. The tombs and city are a must do.

We also decided we needed more time in Portugal and Spain and will stay a month October 2021 before doing TA home.

• Like 1

Good question.

Domestically, Alaska.  We have sailed 3 times and done 2 land trips.  I actually like the land trips as you get to the interior of Alaska.  We spent a week on the Kenai Peninsula  south of Anchorage, AK.  Fishing for Salmon  on the Kenai River and drove down to  Homer once and to Anchor Point once to do Halibut fishing. Anchor Point was interesting as they had a tractor take us way out  as it was low tide that morning. Even drove down the eastern side of Peninsula to Seward for a sightseeing trip.

Caribbean, have not done it, but think Saint Lucia would be nice to find a good beach resort.  Loved snorkeling under the view of the Pitons.

Edited by shipshape sam

On 6/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, TeeRick said:

We all need to consider non-cruise vacations at this point perhaps into 2021.  I have been to a lot of cruise destinations.  I have always said I would like to return to some of them some day if I ever got a chance.  Let's make an assumption for this discussion that airlines fly and countries are open to tourists.  But still no cruises.  Where would you spend vacation time?

For me it would be New Zealand, the Adriatic (Croatia, Montenegro), the Baltics (Finland Sweden), Quebec, Alaska.    What about you?

Now If you are highly restricted this summer to your own country and can use only private transport (driving) where would you vacation?  This is the likely choice many of us have to make.

I personally would go to northern New England (love Maine).  About a 9 hour drive for me.

We will be heading to the FL panhandle this year for our beach fixes.  Still like to think about cruising again though.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, aly7859 said:

Love travelling in Costa Rica due the variety from beaches to volcanoes and rain forest but only central Costa Rica & Western part of the country.  There is so much to do in the country from zip lining, beaching, hiking, white water rafting, & the lush beauty is amazing but the roads can be treacherous.

And great Dentists - 1/3 the U S $

• Like 1

As far as places that I have cruised to that I would like to return to for a land vacation are:

Hawaii, California, Ireland, Denmark, England, France and Holland.

Places I have been but not on a ship that I want to visit again are: Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, the Ozarks, the Smokies, and west Texas.

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'd fly to Dubrovnik and then travel the short distance to Montenegro and stay in Budva. Kotor and the surrounding area not too far away. Beautiful!😎

Phil 

Phil- I am with you!

• Like 2

What a wonderful board!

Italy - Particularly the Amalfi Coast and Tuscany

Caribbean - Aruba and the Hilton Rose Hall in Jamaica

Switzerland - Interlaken  & Bern with a stop at the Matterhorn

Cap it off with Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia in the fall.

2 hours ago, Ron Don said:

What a wonderful board!

Ah, PEI or any place in Nova Scotia.  I'd be up there in a heartbeat to escape the summer heat here, but they won't let us in.  😪

7 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Ah, PEI or any place in Nova Scotia.  I'd be up there in a heartbeat to escape the summer heat here, but they won't let us in.  😪

Don't feel too bad, they won't let us in either and we're from Ontario. 😥 Hopefully by September...

4 hours ago, Ron Don said:

What a wonderful board!

I thought Bern was a terrific city.  I also really enjoy Montreux and everything else around Lake Geneva. Actually, I haven't been to a place in Switzerland that wasn't fantastic.   I hope to make it back someday.    

Edited by ldubs

7 hours ago, MamaFej said:

We saw a number of fly-fishers in southeast MT yesterday. I waved, but none returned my wave, so I guess we hadn't stumbled across one of @ldubs' spots.

I was the guy with the 5 pound rainbow trout!   Haha.   

Only kidding.  All my fishing places are Northern California lakes.   

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, aly7859 said:

Love travelling in Costa Rica due the variety from beaches to volcanoes and rain forest but only central Costa Rica & Western part of the country.  There is so much to do in the country from zip lining, beaching, hiking, white water rafting, & the lush beauty is amazing but the roads can be treacherous.

I remember having incredibly great pineapple in Costa Rica.