Where have you visited on a cruise that you would return for a Land-only vacation?

TeeRick

My choice for a land trip would be back to Alaska in Aug/Sept. I've on 3 cruises there and loved every minute--even the rain in Ketchikan. We did a land tour after our cruise and it was simply amazing. The bus and train rides showed how beautiful the state really is. We saw the most bright red fire weed in all its' glory. I'd want to fish the Kenai peninsula for a few days. Stay in a cabin and just watch the world go by on the water.

If not there then I'd like to stay closer to home and go find a cabin on a lake in Northern Wisconsin to fish all day if I wanted to. We tried to find somewhere this summer/fall, but most of the resorts we checked weren't accepting guests. I'm hoping that our Oct fishing trip to Canada will happen. Only time will tell.Lake of the Woods is a beautiful serene place to visit. We stay in a cabin on the lake, Loons, pelicans, bald eagles, bear, deer, raccoons. So much fun. 

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Don't feel too bad, they won't let us in either and we're from Ontario. 😥 Hopefully by September...

We would love lost of visitors.. but no covid. Can't have my grandkids this summer as they are in the Ottawa area

Any of the New England and Canada Cities.   We traveled to Quebec and stayed there a 4 nights the year before we cruised there.   Would drive back again and also would like to drive to Halifax, Bar Harbor and Rhode Island.  

We plan on doing it in a few years as the price for those cruises are insane and we want to spend more time there than a few hours.  We feel we can get a nice room, great food, more freedom and not spend as much money as the cruises there were costing us.  

Our hotel in the old town of Quebec was around $200/night.  Our last NE cruise was around $600/night just for the cruise.  That difference of $400/night can go a long way towards food, drinks, admissions and entertainment. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 7:02 AM, TeeRick said:

We all need to consider non-cruise vacations at this point perhaps into 2021.  I have been to a lot of cruise destinations.  I have always said I would like to return to some of them some day if I ever got a chance.  Let's make an assumption for this discussion that airlines fly and countries are open to tourists.  But still no cruises.  Where would you spend vacation time?

For me it would be New Zealand, the Adriatic (Croatia, Montenegro), the Baltics (Finland Sweden), Quebec, Alaska.    What about you?

Now If you are highly restricted this summer to your own country and can use only private transport (driving) where would you vacation?  This is the likely choice many of us have to make.

I personally would go to northern New England (love Maine).  About a 9 hour drive for me.

We went on an Italy/Dalmatian coast cruise this past November 2019 on the Constellation.  We fell in love with Croatia and the people.  We were in Rijeka, Split, and Dubrovnik (even though awful weather caught up with us).

We were very pleasantly surprised by our shore excursion with private guide to Island Krk, off of Rijeka.  So beautiful, wonderful towns, local wineries, etc. 

This cruise was to include Kotor, Montenegro, however an Adriatic weather system (same one that affected Dubrovnik) forced us to divert to Corfu, Greece.  I am positive we would have love to spend some time in Kotor!

• Like 2

We plan on doing a land vacation to Australia & New Zealand. After Mike retires we will cruise over and then spend about 6 months traveling, visiting friends and then cruise back.

Local land vacations would be Alaska and Washington State.

Edited by ReneeFLL

We were the other way around. Many years ago we were holidaying in St Lucia and in the morning we used to watch the cruise ships arriving in Castries. We said we would do that one day and we have, several times. Hopefully will again.

Robin

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Loved Croatia and its people!  

My son and partner have a holiday in Croatia booked for Aug, hoping its included in the travel corridors ex UK as they have prepaid their hotel and its non refundsble. This was booked last year. 

We are probably just going to stick to UK holidays this year, Cornwall or New Forest. If we were travelling abroad France and Italy are favourites 

49 minutes ago, sgmn said:

My son and partner have a holiday in Croatia booked for Aug, hoping its included in the travel corridors ex UK as they have prepaid their hotel and its non refundsble. This was booked last year. 

We are probably just going to stick to UK holidays this year, Cornwall or New Forest. If we were travelling abroad France and Italy are favourites 

Hope they make it. A bit north of Split, I think one of my favourites is Šibenik.  A beautiful sail in if you are on a smaller ship, but once there it’s an amazing place to visit and stay a while.  

This is a nice thread.  Thanks to the OP for starting it.  We need some feel good stuff around here at present.

Sailing out😎

Phil599F97AC-CAB7-41C2-AAD5-95E2583E1444.thumb.jpeg.11cde9325b4a6aa278b9f8a9553d817f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2020 at 11:58 PM, DrKoob said:

You should consider the Guernsey Islands. St. Peter's Port is awesome.

If you are on Guernsey then take the public bus that goes round the island to see a bit more.  Or take a boat to the island of Sark, hire a bike (there are no cars) and explore.😎. Or Herm Island with a beautiful shell bay.  

It’s a shame that most of these cruise stop places we only see a fraction of what there is.  Staying a while is good!  

My mum and dad had their honeymoon on Guernsey so it’s kind of a special place for me. 

BTW it is the Channel Islands.  Guernsey is one of the Channel Islands, as are Sark and Herm.  

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

BTW it is the Channel Islands.  Guernsey is one of the Channel Islands, as are Sark and Herm.  

Phil

Thanks Phil I knew they had a collective name. Another tip. When you are there and are eating in a restaurant, make sure you have Guernsey butter on your bread. It comes from Guernsey cows and it is the BEST BUTTER I have ever had. I can almost still taste. We loved it so much we could have just eaten the bread and butter for lunch. 

One more thing. Before you go read, "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." It's the story of how these islands (so close to Britain) were occupied by Nazi forces in WWII and how the islanders organized their own type of resistance. There is a movie as well but the book is outstanding.

Edited by DrKoob
  • Like 3

Loved New Zealand.   Would like to spend more time in Alaska.   We also enjoyed DaNang Vietnam.  Loved Italy especially Tuscany.  Could visit any and all again. So many places so little time.   

6 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Thanks Phil I knew they had a collective name. Another tip. When you are there and are eating in a restaurant, make sure you have Guernsey butter on your bread. It comes from Guernsey cows and it is the BEST BUTTER I have ever had. I can almost still taste. We loved it so much we could have just eaten the bread and butter for lunch. 

One more thing. Before you go read, "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." It's the story of how these islands (so close to Britain) were occupied by Nazi forces in WWII and how the islanders organized their own type of resistance. There is a movie as well but the book is outstanding.

The ice cream from the Guernsey cows is also fabulous.  And yes, absolutely read the book, it's wonderful.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see so many people on here loved Croatia.  We were on a small, private excursion to Plitvice Lakes National Park and stopped at a highway rest area to pick up sandwiches for lunch because we wanted to spend all our time in the park.  They had an amazing selection of reasonably priced fresh food.  Our guide told us that Mickey D doesn't make much headway there.  One of the women discovered when we were about 50 klicks down the highway that she had left her purse in the restroom.  Our guide assured her it wouldn't be a problem, there was no crime in Croatia.  He pulled over and called the restaurant.  Sure enough, someone had turned her purse in and they had it locked up in the office waiting for us to pick it up on our way back.  Just an amazing country with wonderful people and beautiful scenery.  I'd go back in a heartbeat!   

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Guernsey (and Jersey) butter is indeed delicious. As are the cream teas.  My mum was brought up on a farm and they had some Jersey cattle. She used to say to me that they had a lovely gentle character. 

Phil 

16 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm glad to see so many people on here loved Croatia.  We were on a small, private excursion to Plitvice Lakes National Park and stopped at a highway rest area to pick up sandwiches for lunch because we wanted to spend all our time in the park.  They had an amazing selection of reasonably priced fresh food.  Our guide told us that Mickey D doesn't make much headway there.  One of the women discovered when we were about 50 klicks down the highway that she had left her purse in the restroom.  Our guide assured her it wouldn't be a problem, there was no crime in Croatia.  He pulled over and called the restaurant.  Sure enough, someone had turned her purse in and they had it locked up in the office waiting for us to pick it up on our way back.  Just an amazing country with wonderful people and beautiful scenery.  I'd go back in a heartbeat!   

I am with you 100% !

Hi,

We usually spend a 2-3 week land trip before or after a cruise.

We really had a GREAT time in:

1) Southern France (Stayed in Montpellier-CHEAP $70/night EXCELLENT,

rented a car and drove to Nimes (Pont du Guar), Avignon, Orange, Marseille,

Aix-en-Province, Carcassone and many other AWESOME small towns. 

2) Rhine valley towns in Germany (use trains)

3) All of Spain (use trains)

4) All of Scotland, Wales, England (use trains)

5) All of Italy (use trains)

6) Loire Valley- EXCELLENT! Did without a cruise

7) Austria- Did without a cruise. Vienna is my favourate European city!!

From Vienna take a day trip by train to Salzburg (a MUST see) 

Budapest, or Prague.

• Like 1

We have cruised for a few years now, but only just last year visited the Caribbean for the first time for a week’s cruise out of Barbados as part of a TA back to Southampton. My husband took a while to persuade, as we aren’t really ‘beach people’, and kept hearing that it was quite risky on some islands to go off exploring. 

We loved it. Our favourite was Grenada, but we really can’t wait to go back and see some more islands and include a proper resort stay. Any recommendations?

We met such lovely people everywhere, and the sunsets were amazing.

We have lost three much anticipated cruises this year, including Summit out of Boston in September , but have recently booked an island hopping cruise in Croatia next April with Azamara, as I need something to look forward to.

• Like 1