Unrest growing in Curacao

VermeulT

It's getting really bad there -- so much that the government has imposed a couple of curfews.

I feel bad for the people there and everywhere else -- perhaps a wakeup call to rely on other industries versus tourism.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:39 PM, radiojw said:

It's getting really bad there -- so much that the government has imposed a couple of curfews.

I feel bad for the people there and everywhere else -- perhaps a wakeup call to rely on other industries versus tourism.

All is and has been calm here for the past 4 days. 

No curfew at all now (we only had an evening curfew for 2 evenings).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Any new information in reference to the unrest on the island?

Couldn't be any worse than what's happening here in the states. 

With that being said it's certainly not something I want to run into on my cruise vacation, I'm trying to get back to this island.

Any new info for better or worse about the current state of affairs on Curacao would certainly be appreciated. 

Thank you Todd

On 7/16/2020 at 3:34 PM, TTEllis said:

Any new information in reference to the unrest on the island?

Couldn't be any worse than what's happening here in the states. 

With that being said it's certainly not something I want to run into on my cruise vacation, I'm trying to get back to this island.

Any new info for better or worse about the current state of affairs on Curacao would certainly be appreciated. 

Thank you Todd

Todd all is continues to be calm here as of today.

42 minutes ago, bup1224 said:

Todd all is continues to be calm here as of today.

Thanks appreciate the update trying to get back and hang out for the day with you. It's going to be next year I'm afraid, but I'll be there.  Thanks again. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 8:57 AM, bup1224 said:

All is and has been calm here for the past 4 days. 

No curfew at all now (we only had an evening curfew for 2 evenings).

Thanks for the update.  We'll be there in December 2021 on a rebook of a canceled cruise.  If they cancel this one I swear I'm going to rip someone's throat out!  We LOVE the Caribbean and HATE that beautiful, wonderful countries that depend on tourism are being denied the ability to put food on their tables!

That said, we have never been to Curacao before, it has been our dream to visit it!  We have no idea what to do or where to go in Willemstad.  What are your suggestions.  We are there SUCH a short time (7am to 3 pm) !  Should we take an excursion that takes us to different places in the city or strike out on our own adventure and itinerary?  

At this point, I'd rather put $$$ into Curacao's economy than Carnival's !

Thanks for any help that you can give me ; )

• 2 weeks later...

If I may suggest, and I hope too that you will really be able to go on this cruise, Curacao is such a lovely town for walking around. If you're able to just get off the ship and explore on your own, you can walk through the fort near the port, along the water and across the floating bridge into town. It will probably all be decorated with Christmas lights and decorations. Of course, not as much will be open as early as 7 or or 8 a.m., but eventually shops will open, as well as restaurants/bars. There are little stalls selling souvenirs and locally made items along the way into Willemstad, and there is a market in town. Best of Curacao is our favorite shop for tshirts and hats--I hope they will still be in business. They are located a few streets in from the canal. Maybe the floating market along the canal will be opened up again by then. The stuccoed and painted buildings are all so pretty, and if you enjoy Dutch food, there are places to sample and dine. Of course, no one knows what the future of travel/tourism looks like. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

The best place to travel right now is Zanzibar =D its like Maldives but cheaper and safer in a way. I wouldnt go anywhere where there is a civil unrest or a civil war on a spark. Its better to even stay at home than go anywhere in the first place