Basel to Amsterdam

Life Buoy

6 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

Should I take a cabin Port or Starboard going from Basel to Amsterdam. Or, does it make any matter? 

Such a great question to contemplate! It’s a wonderful dilemma to have. We were on  the port side, although I believe most of the stops had their gangways on starboard.

If you could make a calculated guess about tethering, you could choose that way (you would avoid the side more likely to be directly next to another ship); but I don’t think there’s much of a way to predict that.

Have a great time!

4 hours ago, May B said:

Such a great question to contemplate! It’s a wonderful dilemma to have. We were on  the port side, although I believe most of the stops had their gangways on starboard.

If you could make a calculated guess about tethering, you could choose that way (you would avoid the side more likely to be directly next to another ship); but I don’t think there’s much of a way to predict that.

Have a great time!

No need to make a guess. A long-time river Captain told me that they always dock with the bow into the current on rivers with strong currents, like the Rhine and Danube. Not so much on the Moselle. It protects the ship's screws from debris in the river.

Beyond that, it really doesn't matter as you won't spend much time in your room.

• Like 1

When we went thru the area on the Rhine with all the castles, over half the passengers were on the top deck, so the side their cabin was on didn't make any difference.   

• Like 1

As others have said, you see the scenery on both sides of the river, so you don't want to be sitting in your room missing any.  Also, while docked in port, you are often rafted to another boat, so you won't have a view either.  My only suggestion - if you aren't going for the lower cabins, choose one on the 2nd level...you are at water level to see the birds.  We loved watching the swans cleaning off the boat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coevan said:

I'd like to watch it, nothing is there

Sorry coevan.  It was picture of the swans eating off the side of the boat from our balcony.  It was there yesterday, but something must have gone funny.  I have a hard time posting pictures in this forum.  I'll try again.

IMG_3451.JPG

This picture reminds me of a few years ago on our ‘narrowboat’  being woken up by a strange tapping on the hull it was several ducks breakfasting on the Algae build up at water level, most perculiar as they moved along the length of the boat. CA

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

This question was moved from the Crystal ocean board so I assume the OP is planning on a Crystal river cruise. The Crystal river fleet doesn't have any water level cabins.

Yes! On Crystal Bach. Cabin is on Deck 3.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 6:24 PM, Life Buoy said:

Should I take a cabin Port or Starboard going from Basel to Amsterdam. Or, does it make any matter? 

The Rhine flows from Basel northbound to Amsterdam. So a starboard cabin will give you morning sun, a port cabin evening sun, if this has any difference for you. In port it is, as other have stated before, a lottery, whether you see another ship rafting, a quai wall with busy dogs, or the open river, either side. While sailing it does not make a real difference. Lets face it: For most of the journey the Rhine is like a canal, you see dykes, maybe some trees behind and an occasional village or city, in parts hills in the distance. There is, of course, one exception, the Middle Rhine Valley with hills, rocks, castles, vineyards, roughly between Mainz and Bonn. This stretch of the river you will wish to see from the sundeck anyway with a 360-degree-view.

So, for your cabin, toss a coin.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:21 PM, AnhaltER1960 said:

The Rhine flows from Basel northbound to Amsterdam. So a starboard cabin will give you morning sun, a port cabin evening sun, if this has any difference for you. In port it is, as other have stated before, a lottery, whether you see another ship rafting, a quai wall with busy dogs, or the open river, either side. While sailing it does not make a real difference. Lets face it: For most of the journey the Rhine is like a canal, you see dykes, maybe some trees behind and an occasional village or city, in parts hills in the distance. There is, of course, one exception, the Middle Rhine Valley with hills, rocks, castles, vineyards, roughly between Mainz and Bonn. This stretch of the river you will wish to see from the sundeck anyway with a 360-degree-view.

So, for your cabin, toss a coin.

Excellent point about sunrise and sunset. I hadn’t thought of that, even though that’s always how I pick my cabins on ocean ships, all else being equal.